Julianne Ortman write in campaign

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Julianne Ortman write in campaign

Postby 20mm on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:17 am

MJY65 wrote:Mathematically, you are correct. Your 3rd party vote doesn't add to Franken's number. It also does NOTHING to defeat him, regardless of how much better you may feel by voting your conscience. So, if Obama ends up with both houses of congress again and there is another school shooting, you can enjoy your moral superiority as the new AWB gets passed.

Sounds good to me. Let them ban and legislate everything to death and make the debt and government grow bigger till it collapses.

Stand back and let them have their way.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby Erud on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:29 am

20mm wrote:
MJY65 wrote:Mathematically, you are correct. Your 3rd party vote doesn't add to Franken's number. It also does NOTHING to defeat him, regardless of how much better you may feel by voting your conscience. So, if Obama ends up with both houses of congress again and there is another school shooting, you can enjoy your moral superiority as the new AWB gets passed.

Sounds good to me. Let them ban and legislate everything to death and make the debt and government grow bigger till it collapses.

Stand back and let them have their way.

Unfortunately, this plan is not likely to result in a new capitalist utopia like in "Atlas Shrugged". There will not be a secret community in the Rocky Mountains for you to escape to, you'll just have to deal with a collapsed government with the rest of us.

And if you like collapsed governments, you'd LOVE Somalia!
Erud

Postby 20mm on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:30 am

Erud wrote:Unfortunately, this plan is not likely to result in a new capitalist utopia like in "Atlas Shrugged". There will not be a secret community in the Rocky Mountains for you to escape to, you'll just have to deal with a collapsed government with the rest of us.

Somalia has a government. They even have an Embassy in NewYork. Maybe you're thinking of some place like Sudan.

There are a plenty of people living in countries with collapsed and non-functioning governments who enjoy their life and liberties. There are also a lot of them that don't.

At-least the founders of this country weren't chicken *******.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby jgalt on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:40 am

Erud wrote:
jgalt wrote:
Erud wrote:The problem is that when you decide to vote for the "good" rather than the "lesser of 2 evils", you will almost always end up with the greater of 2 evils. Your point is valid, but not practical.

So, neither side thinks the other is practical. This is not new news... ;)

The counter argument is that every once in a while, you actually end up with the good. I'd rather vote on principle for a small chance at good, than accept that evil is the best we can hope for.

I’d like to build the world a home
And furnish it with love... <snip>

Oooo, clever. Destroys all arguments contrary to your own and completely persuades me to join your side... :roll:
jgalt

Postby MJY65 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:44 am

20mm wrote:There are a plenty of people living in countries with collapsed and non-functioning governments who enjoy their life and liberties. There are also a lot of them that don't.

Wow! I guess I'm not quite as enthusiastic about the notion of a civil war and the upheaval that would result. I'm also not quite as confident that the rebuilding would result in anything significantly better than what we have now. Do you think that the 40+ percent that still think Obama is doing a good job are suddenly going to realize that they were wrong? Will the different visions of ideal, even within this discussion, suddenly come together?
MJY65

Postby 20mm on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:58 am

MJY65 wrote:Wow! I guess I'm not quite as enthusiastic about the notion of a civil war and the upheaval that would result. I'm also not quite as confident that the rebuilding would result in anything significantly better than what we have now. Do you think that the 40+ percent that still think Obama is doing a good job are suddenly going to realize that they were wrong? Will the different visions of ideal, even within this discussion, suddenly come together?

No and no. Your lack of enthusiasm is noted. Please retire and let the new generation take care of you. The boomers made sure the next generation has the morals and aptitude to take care of the situation.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
20mm

Postby Erud on Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:00 pm

20mm wrote:
Erud wrote:Unfortunately, this plan is not likely to result in a new capitalist utopia like in "Atlas Shrugged". There will not be a secret community in the Rocky Mountains for you to escape to, you'll just have to deal with a collapsed government with the rest of us.

Somalia has a government. They even have an Embassy in NewYork. Maybe you're thinking of some place like Sudan.

There are a plenty of people living in countries with collapsed and non-functioning governments who enjoy their life and liberties. There are also a lot of them that don't.

When I was younger, I voted for 3rd party candidates. In every instance except for 1, my vote(along with all of the other 3rd party voters) only kept the candidate that was more closely aligned with my views from being elected. This sort of thinking has resulted in the election of folks like Al franken, Mark Dayton, etc. In the 1 exception, it resulted in the election of Jesse Ventura, whose genius quote you are using in your own sig line. In hindsight, his election was probably worse than either of the other 2 "evils" we were presented with.

You are not going to change everything in one election cycle. Moving towards a more conservative representation will take time, but burning the whole system down now is not likely to improve things. Just look at how long the left has been working to push us in their direction.

You are correct, Somalia has "officially" had a government for the last couple of years. Ask some of the local Somalis how it works.
Erud

Postby ericinmn1970 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:23 pm

:iagree:

And I'll add, or worse than the next AWB gets passed.
"The man who lies asleep will never waken fame, and his desire and all his life drift past him like a dream, and the traces of his memory fade from time like smoke in air, or ripples on a stream." -Dante Alighieri
ericinmn1970

Postby ericinmn1970 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:43 pm

Erud wrote:When I was younger, I voted for 3rd party candidates. In every instance except for 1, my vote(along with all of the other 3rd party voters) only kept the candidate that was more closely aligned with my views from being elected. This sort of thinking has resulted in the election of folks like Al franken, Mark Dayton, etc. In the 1 exception, it resulted in the election of Jesse Ventura, whose genius quote you are using in your own sig line. In hindsight, his election was probably worse than either of the other 2 "evils" we were presented with.

You are not going to change everything in one election cycle. Moving towards a more conservative representation will take time, but burning the whole system down now is not likely to improve things. Just look at how long the left has been working to push us in their direction.

I'm with you. I did the same thing, except for regretting my vote for Jesse. And while we may not change everything in one election cycle, we certainly will not change anything, by continuing to allow politicians to be elected that only service their agenda. And since this forum is specifically related to firearms, this means allowing the election of clearly anti-gun politicians that WILL NOT hear our voices in their policy making. I'm not familiar with McFadden, but perhaps we gun owners would have more of a voice with him?
"The man who lies asleep will never waken fame, and his desire and all his life drift past him like a dream, and the traces of his memory fade from time like smoke in air, or ripples on a stream." -Dante Alighieri
ericinmn1970

Postby MJY65 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:52 pm

ericinmn1970 wrote:I'm not familiar with McFadden, but perhaps we gun owners would have more of a voice with him?

McFadden's responses are not solid. I'd like him to be more pro-2a. Franken, on the other hand, has shown us by his sponsorship of the last AWB bill, that he is definitely not on our side.
MJY65

Postby JJ on Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:03 pm

ericinmn1970 wrote: I'm not familiar with McFadden, but perhaps we gun owners would have more of a voice with him?

http://www.ontheissues.org/domestic/Mik ... ontrol.htm

Q: The Senate voted down expanding background checks on gun purchases. Would you support that?
A: I'm a strong believer in the Second Amendment, and the right to bear arms. It does concern me that someone that's not allowed to buy a gun at Wal-Mart because they didn't pass a background check is allowed to go and purchase one at a gun show. I would be open to looking at expanding background checks.
Source: Minneapolis Post on 2014 Minnesota Senate race , Jul 15, 2013
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby ericinmn1970 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:14 pm

MJY65 wrote:McFadden's responses are not solid. I'd like him to be more pro-2a. Franken, on the other hand, has shown us by his sponsorship of the last AWB bill, that he is definitely not on our side.

So perhaps this speaks to my point. Maybe with McFadden, gun owners will have more of a voice in the political theater.

I've become over the past 18 or so months, a single issue voter, and it drives me crazy! To be clear, even though I don't vote for Democrats in elections, there's many hot button topics the Democrats/liberals advocate for, that I'm not at all opposed to, so long as my rights aren't being violated. But I feel I'm seeing more and more anti-private gun ownership, a right I treasure, coming from the Democrat party. So I'm forced into this position, a position of foregoing my voting principles. I no longer feel I have the luxury of voting for the person I feel best suited for the job and who is more closely aligned with my personal and political position. No. I'm feel I'm forced into the position of compromising my voting integrity, to protect my rights. :evil:
ericinmn1970

Postby MJY65 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:28 pm

ericinmn1970 wrote:So perhaps this speaks to my point. Maybe with McFadden, gun owners will have more of a voice in the political theater.

One could hope. Unfortunately, I think we are going to have an increasingly difficult time holding off the push for background checks. We all know that without a system of registration and tracking, the UBC is meaningless. However, the majority of voters seem to think it would do something. At the same time, it sounds so "reasonable" (I hate that word).
MJY65

Postby ericinmn1970 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:33 pm

JJ wrote:Q: The Senate voted down expanding background checks on gun purchases. Would you support that?
A: I'm a strong believer in the Second Amendment, and the right to bear arms. It does concern me that someone that's not allowed to buy a gun at Wal-Mart because they didn't pass a background check is allowed to go and purchase one at a gun show. I would be open to looking at expanding background checks.
Source: Minneapolis Post on 2014 Minnesota Senate race , Jul 15, 2013

So what do you propose? Because if McFadden is'nt the one option, we're stuck with Franken as the other?

http://donthategcdaz.wordpress.com/al-f ... n-control/

"In his first televised speech after bullying his way into the Senate, Al Franken said that he will vote against any gun control measures and use his influence to remove all gun laws."

http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-con ... ponsors?q={%22cosponsor-state%22%3A%22Minnesota%22}

http://votesmart.org/candidate/key-vote ... 5oCIyjJVzk
Last edited by ericinmn1970 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericinmn1970

Postby Thunder71 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:35 pm

Wait...
He has influence?
Thunder71

PreviousNext

Return to Politics