Colorado governor tries to apologize for gun control measure

Firearms related political discussion forum

Postby MXGreg on Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:23 pm

Colorado governor tries to apologize for gun control measures, blames staff, then curses

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06 ... latestnews

WASHINGTON – Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper’s awkward attempt to patch things up with his state’s sheriffs over his support of controversial gun control legislation isn’t going as planned.

The governor, a Democrat, offered a series of unusual explanations during a meeting he held last Friday with a group of Colorado sheriffs for why he signed legislation that restricts the sale of ammunition magazines of more than 15 rounds.

First, Hickenlooper blamed his staff for not anticipating the opposition on gun control. He then apologized for his staff’s inability to effectively communicate and promised to do better in the future.

When Larimer County Sheriff Justin Smith pressed the issue, Hickenlooper snapped back, “What the f---? I apologized!”

He apparently was kidding around, as the sheriffs could be heard laughing. But on his Facebook page, Smith said he was surprised by the governor’s choice of words.

“I’m a big boy and I won’t pretend for a moment that it’s not language that’s foreign to me – but I found that type of attitude and response to be well below the dignity of the office of governor,” Smith wrote. “This was a sitting governor, in a public meeting, responding to another elected official.”

Hickenlooper also said he felt pressure to sign the bill into law because a member of his staff “made a commitment.”

“To be honest, no one in our office thought it would get through the legislature,” he said. “There were several Democrats who said without question they weren’t going to vote for it.”

Well, it looks like it wasn't his fault. :roll:
MXGreg

Re: Colorado governor tries to apologize for gun control measure

Postby Ironbear on Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:45 pm

Hickenlooper also said he felt pressure to sign the bill into law because a member of his staff “made a commitment.”

So... he caves in to promises made by his minions? Who's the boss here?

“To be honest, no one in our office thought it would get through the legislature,” he said. “There were several Democrats who said without question they weren’t going to vote for it.”

Normally the bill comes to the governor's office after the legislature passes it. So, when he got it, he had know it that "would get through" because it already did!

He is so completely full of damage control... Nice if took the time to come up with something plausible...
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Randygmn on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:28 pm

Too bad. He just wants the voters to forgive him. Fat chance
Randygmn

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:32 pm

Headline:

Colorado governor tries to apologize for gun control measures, blames staff, then curses

Translation:

Don't blame me, It wasn't my fault
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Lumpy on Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:13 pm

My guess is that a small cadre of urban Coloradoan politicos made themselves sound like a crowd and assured the governor that this would be a popular measure; and now his ****'s in the wringer because gun restrictions have almost no support outside the Denver area.
Lumpy

Postby ericinmn1970 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:59 am

His apology and lack of ownership over having supported and signing into law the legislation that passed means jack-squat unless the laws enacted are going to be repealed. Hopefully Coloradans are smart enough and vote his sorry irresponsible behind out of office.
"The man who lies asleep will never waken fame, and his desire and all his life drift past him like a dream, and the traces of his memory fade from time like smoke in air, or ripples on a stream." -Dante Alighieri
ericinmn1970

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:47 pm

The article doesn't say but my guess would be the governor has polling data showing him losing reelection unless he does damage control.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Postby jshuberg on Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:03 pm

Let's hope the voters fire him, and that he spends the rest of his life begging for change and living under a bridge somewhere. Anyone who chooses ideology over the will of the people deserves to live a worthless pathetic meaningless existence.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby gunsmith on Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:38 pm

jshuberg wrote:Let's hope the voters fire him, and that he spends the rest of his life begging for change and living under a bridge somewhere. Anyone who chooses ideology over the will of the people deserves to live a worthless pathetic meaningless existence.

You mean like this: found this on the internet time machine.

gunsmith

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:51 pm

Pretty sure the voters of Colorado will not reelect his sorry ass as well as those who voted for it. The mud slinging will begin close to election time. Colorado folks should send a loud message to the rest of the counrty that BS laws like this will not go unpunished. Besides magpul, any other gun manufacturers in that state leave?
Bearcatrp

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:51 pm

jshuberg wrote:Let's hope the voters fire him, and that he spends the rest of his life begging for change and living under a bridge somewhere. Anyone who chooses ideology over the will of the people deserves to live a worthless pathetic meaningless existence.

You know full well that as a loyal Apparatchik, even if he looses election he'll get a plumb political appointment in either state of federal government.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Postby smurfman on Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:02 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:You know full well that as a loyal Apparatchik, even if he looses election he'll get a plumb political appointment in either state of federal government.

One can only hope.

The other option is he becomes a lobbyist and they not only never go away but there are no controls over them, They continue with their personal agendas until they get what they want- eventually those agendas will stick. This is an even worse scenario but also the more likely one.
smurfman

Postby mrp on Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:02 am

http://kdvr.com/2014/06/20/hickenlooper ... ban-again/

John Hickenlooper said Friday that he hasn’t changed his tune and still supports the controversial ban on high-capacity magazines.

If we went through the process again, I’d sign it again.

he erroneously stated that he never talked to New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, whose group Mayors Against Illegal Guns led the lobbying effort on behalf of the magazine ban and an expanded background checks measure (phone records had already revealed calls between Hickenlooper and Bloomberg).
mrp

Return to Politics