Target Corp is no longer listening

Firearms related political discussion forum

Target Corp is no longer listening

Postby Squib Joe on Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:19 am

http://abullseyeview.com/2014/07/target ... in-stores/

So I guess I'll be buying my stuff online instead
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Re: Target Corp is no longer listening

Postby yuppiejr on Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:33 am

"As you’ve likely seen in the media, there has been a debate about whether guests in communities that permit “open carry” should be allowed to bring firearms into Target stores. Our approach has always been to follow local laws, and of course, we will continue to do so. But starting today we will also respectfully request that guests not bring firearms to Target – even in communities where it is permitted by law.

We’ve listened carefully to the nuances of this debate and respect the protected rights of everyone involved. In return, we are asking for help in fulfilling our goal to create an atmosphere that is safe and inviting for our guests and team members.

This is a complicated issue, but it boils down to a simple belief: Bringing firearms to Target creates an environment that is at odds with the family-friendly shopping and work experience we strive to create."
yuppiejr

Postby gunsmith on Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:44 am

Can you still buy a hammer or a quart of oil at Target?

Over the last 20 some years Target has gone to more 'soft goods' I'll bet that 70 %of their customers are women and they don't want to scare the girls.
gunsmith

Postby Thunder71 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:49 am

Ugh... back to Walmart I guess.

At least they sell ammo.
And hammers.
And provide sanitary wipes for their carts and your hands.
Thunder71

Postby gunsmith on Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:01 am

Thunder71 wrote:Ugh... back to Walmart I guess.

At least they sell ammo.
And hammers.

Walmart Roseville has 8 boxes (limit 2) of federal 50x 9mm $14.97 just got off the phone
gunsmith

Postby 2in2out on Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:49 am

Here's my takeaway: Target is scared to rock the boat, and they don't want to be in the middle of this. But, to get out of it, they desperately need to avoid appearing that they're siding against moms, even if it's Billionaire Moms.

BUT, the anti's failed to get an all out commitment from Target.

This is a very sneaky, slimy bunch with Bloomberg in charge, and there will be more of these little attacks to chip away on wide acceptance of firearms in our society. But, I think it's proving much harder than they expected, and we will eventually prevail.

For now, the point is that Billionaire Moms didn't get what Bloomberg wanted. We should be rubbing their noses in that.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby jshuberg on Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:59 am

This was a ridiculous over-reaction to less than a dozen people at one location in Texas. All they had to do to solve the problem was to trespass the people who were actually causing the problem. Their new policy effects millions of people to presumably solve a problem with a very small handful at one location in Texas.

Also, those people are not gun rights activists, they're gun rights antagonists, they're gun rights idiots. Someone needs to shut that group down before they do any more harm, talk some sense into them or something. At this point it comes down to this:

Boycott Target
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Thunder71 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:32 am

I realize Target essentially did nothing, but they did change perception - and perception is everything.
Thunder71

Postby Ghost on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:37 am

Thunder71 wrote:Ugh... back to Walmart I guess.

At least they sell ammo.
And hammers.

When I lived in Iowa we could also buy alcohol 24 hours a day 7 days a week at Walmart so they pretty much had the necessities covered oh and many sold guns in addition to the ammo.
Ghost

Postby Mn01r6 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:39 am

Email just sent:

Dear Target,

Based upon your recently announced stance on carrying firearms inside your store, you have made it clear that my family and I are no longer welcome to shop with you.

This is disappointing on many levels. You have lost a good customer today and one that is moving into a new house with many thousands of dollars to spend outfitting it.

The solution to unruly customers is always an individual one - trespass individuals making other guests uncomfortable if they refuse to leave. Don't make blanket bans unless you want your (former) customers to do the same to you.

P.S. please ask acting CEO John Mulligan to certify that he will never have armed security with him when he is inside one of your stores or any other "family environments" and I may reconsider my initial position that he is a hypocrite.

Kind Regards,

MN01R6
Last edited by Mn01r6 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mn01r6

Postby Scratch on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:39 am

I find it amusing that they're name is TARGET and they're logo is a BULLSEYE.

Seems like a pro gun store if you had never seen it before...
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Ghost on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:48 am

I could see why they'd want to stop this guy from carrying there though

You may remember back on May 30th that a loaded gun, a Hi-Point 9MM, was found in a Myrtle Beach, SC Target stores toy aisle.

As luck would have it though, the Myrtle Beach Police have positively identified their suspect as David Dennis. Dennis is now being sought for unlawfully carrying of a handgun in connection with this incident, as he’s already a convicted felon.

http://buzzpo.com/man-left-loaded-gun-targets-toy-aisle-identified/
Ghost

Postby jshuberg on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:56 am

Yeah, I'm sure Target's new policy would have stopped him from carrying a firearm into their store when being a prohibited person under Federal law and being in violation of a felony wouldn't.....
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby yuppiejr on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:56 am

Our family has been reducing our visits to big box/grocery retailers and shopping at both (gun friendly) Aldi, which cut our food bill $80 per week on average, and Amazon . The new Prime Pantry program at Amazon is particularly compelling as it covers the heavier- bulkier paper products, laundry detergent, beverages, etc.. that drive "frequency" visits to the BB's and only costs $6 to ship a huge box. It's a lot easier to punch in my grocery list online & let the UPS guy drop it on the porch versus dragging 3 young kids in/out of the car and through a busy retail store on a weekend to buy stuff that may or may not be in stock.

I'm pretty disappointed in this on a lot of levels.
yuppiejr

Postby Ironbear on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:58 am

Our approach has always been to follow local laws, and of course, we will continue to do so.

so.. they'll continue to abide by the law...

But starting today we will also respectfully request that guests not bring firearms to Target – even in communities where it is permitted by law.

and they "request"... so ... nothing has really changed?

Really, this is pure PR fluff. It was the only option the OCD folks left them. They needed to make some statement to soothe the public, but didn't really make any policy change. These businesses can't really do anything else. They don't want to come down on either side of the debate. They just want to maintain a "big tent" and keep customers coming in, so their stocks don't tank. They would love to not be in the middle of this. Like Starbucks and Chipolte's, the want to make money not news.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Next

Return to Politics