Target Corp is no longer listening

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Target Corp is no longer listening

Postby westhope on Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:14 pm

Now would be a good time for all Permit To Carry holders to drop off one of the "No Guns / No $" cards at your local Target store. I still have a few of those cards lying around.

Our own link:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14717
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby jshuberg on Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:17 pm

Target isn't posting signs, and they aren't banning firearms. They simply made a public request that people don't bring firearms into their stores to shut up the Bloomberg machine.

We took a hit in the press on this (thanks OCT), but absolutely nothing at Target has changed.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby westhope on Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:41 pm

Totally agree. I think Target's response was great. Satisfied both sides. I also agree that the press made it out as a "win" for the anti's but it really wasn't.

I also agree that OCT (Open Carry Texas) is going about things the wrong way, but they are getting national attention in a sensational manor the way "gay rights" did a few years back. I don't have a better suggestion for getting the national attention on the gun rights issue right now though. Saw pieces on OCT on the national news programs today. They also had MDA (Moms Demand Action) stating how the Target statement was a big victory for them. No one on the national news challenged MDA that it really wasn't any change at all. Target only "asks" people don't bring guns into stores.

I know the "No Guns = No $" pertain to posting signs, but they are what I have now and will get the message across.

I do not know if there is a new Target policy to ASK everyone they see carrying to leave.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby jshuberg on Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:04 pm

The difference with gay rights activists was that the press was on their side. On those occasions where someone went too far and would have offended the public at large, those instances were sanitized by the press. The press acted very much as public relations for the gay rights movement. There is no question that this helped their cause.

The opposite is true for firearms activists. The press will seek out any and every way, whether true or false, dishonest or otherwise to paint us in a bad light. It sucks, but it's a reality we have to live with.

The kinds of in-your-face tactics, flamboyant and over the top kinds of activism to draw attention to the cause that has worked for other groups won't work for us. In fact, it will work very much against us, as is evidenced by OCT. The press is simply going to spin any and every story against us.

The best way to win hearts and minds is not to hold demonstrations, parades, or otherwise try to attract the attention of the public or the press. The best way is by simply living our lives in a way that puts our friends, family and neighbors at ease with the idea of people owning or carrying firearms. Being the good guys, being polite and respectful, and taking the moral high ground is the best way to accomplish that.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Big and Tasty on Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:53 pm

xd ED wrote:First, for the purposes of not getting beat by the dialog/ terminology, I suggest we distinguish open carry from slinging a rifle while shopping.
Then, for the asshats shopping with their rifles, they need to be kicked repeatedly in the ass and their swimsuit regions until they either wake up, or go away.
None of this needed to happen. Neither Target or legitimate gun owners benifited from these stunts. They merely gave some traction to the bloomburgers they would not have otherwise had.

This :!:
"Do not be far from me, for trouble is near and there is no one to help."
Big and Tasty

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:49 pm

I've never been a huge fan of Target to begin with. Only reason I have to go there once a week is for my second part time job. Note the job isn't working for target but another company who sells their product. I always carry concealed while doing this job due to being out in public. It's a risk I'm willing to take.
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Previous

Return to Politics