Great Essay!

Firearms related political discussion forum

Great Essay!

Postby Lumpy on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:32 pm

The most eloquent and insightful discussion of the gun-control "progressive" mindset I've ever seen. Written by a true "liberal", in the original sense of the word.
http://www.thepolemicist.net/2013/01/th ... r-gun.html
Lumpy

Re: Great Essay!

Postby ttousi on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:55 am

thanks for posting....good read
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby Uffdaphil on Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:35 am

Excellent beginning exposing the fallacies and foolishness of the anti-second amendment arguments. Too bad the writer can't resist morphing into a radical left solidarity mode. When he invoked Glenn Greenwald and Michael Moore, I looked a little deeper. Just check the topics list on the lower right to see where "The Polemecist" is coming from. Note the frequency of pro-Palestinian , anti-Zionist categories.

Below is from the archives. If you admire Rachel Corrie, this is the site for you. For me, not so much.

"Outside of the United States, and within the serious American left, Rachel is properly revered as a heroic champion of justice and humanity. Her life has been the subject of a play, My Name is Rachel Corrie, based on her diaries and emails, as edited and presented by the actor Alan Rickman and the journalist Katharine Viner. The play has been performed to appreciative audiences worldwide, despite constant attempts by Zionist groups to shut it down (here, here, here). For many throughout the world -- and I hope to make it a few more -- Rachel Corrie has become an inspiration for carrying on the fight that took her life: - See more at: http://www.thepolemicist.net/2013/03/i- ... .html#more"
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby Lumpy on Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:54 am

Well the subtitle is "A Left Argument for Gun Rights", so that's upfront right there. Personally I see gun rights as a populist/libertarian cause that blurs a lot of Left/Right distinctions.
Lumpy

Postby yuppiejr on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:20 am

... dismissing the article outright because it included a quote from Michael Moore is asinine. Clearly you did not read the section of the article in question or watch the clip, and instead went full Alex Jones "a liberal touched it, COOTIES!!!" mode after only reading the first paragraph and skimming the rest... Short summary : Moore was considering his own perspective on why Columbine happened and asking if an external factor like SSRI Antidepressants might just be at the root cause.

I think Lumpy hit it right on the head with his succinct description of the article: The most eloquent and insightful discussion of the gun-control "progressive" mindset I've ever seen. Written by a true "liberal", in the original sense of the word. Kudos and thanks for sharing this.
yuppiejr

Postby Uffdaphil on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:42 pm

yuppiejr wrote:... dismissing the article outright because it included a quote from Michael Moore is asinine. Clearly you did not read the section of the article in question or watch the clip, and instead went full Alex Jones "a liberal touched it, COOTIES!!!" mode after only reading the first paragraph and skimming the rest... Short summary : Moore was considering his own perspective on why Columbine happened and asking if an external factor like SSRI Antidepressants might just be at the root cause.

I think Lumpy hit it right on the head with his succinct description of the article: The most eloquent and insightful discussion of the gun-control "progressive" mindset I've ever seen. Written by a true "liberal", in the original sense of the word. Kudos and thanks for sharing this.

I did not dismiss the article outright at all. Read my first sentence. I was impressed by the beginning. I denigrated the latter part's morphing only. Where did I dismiss anything because of a quote? I said Invoking Moore caused me to look "a little deeper" at "The Polemecist" where the author posted. I did so because, Moore, seemed an odd source to include in an anti-gun-control article. I made no comment on the substance of Moores Columbine/drug perspective which I found worth consideration.

How the wacky Alex Jones relates is beyond me. Liberal is not how I classify Moore, the Corrie "Code Pink" types and the rest of the Zionist-obsessed far left. My Democrat voting relatives would be insulted to be lumped in with them.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby gunsmith on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:10 am

Men====Guns
Women=====Abortion

Where's the genius that can create an alliance.

We fought with the Russkies, gave them food, trucks, guns, planes and Hitler went down in flames.....

The strangeness of the alliance of Guns/Abortion is intriguing.......
gunsmith

Postby Lumpy on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:55 am

gunsmith wrote:Men====Guns
Women=====Abortion

Where's the genius that can create an alliance.

We fought with the Russkies, gave them food, trucks, guns, planes and Hitler went down in flames.....

The strangeness of the alliance of Guns/Abortion is intriguing.......
Sorry, did one of the links mention abortion?
Lumpy

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:35 am

I finally got around to reading this long winded and at times seemingly contradictory article.

I found myself agreeing with much of what the author said, but I also think he could use a remedial course in political philosophy.

"the liberal, democratic capitalist welfare/social-democratic state" :cogitating:
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Lumpy on Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:16 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I finally got around to reading this long winded and at times seemingly contradictory article.

I found myself agreeing with much of what the author said, but I also think he could use a remedial course in political philosophy.

"the liberal, democratic capitalist welfare/social-democratic state" :cogitating:
My take on the author's political stance is that he regards the current system as a bizarre hybrid of classic capitalism and pseudo-reformist, sell-out "liberalism". Sorta the way some rabid British "republicans" insist that Britain still needs to officially abolish monarchy.
Lumpy

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:06 pm

My impression is he's confusing Capitalism with Fascism. The system he describes, the one we find ourselves in today, where corporate chiefs and financial institutions crawl in bed with government for special favors, subsidies and Quid pro quo is not Capitalism, it's plain old fashion Fascism.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Return to Politics