Postby Grayskies on Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:17 am

Are our gun rights better off today?
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Re: Are our gun rights better off today?

Postby photogpat on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:42 am

Looking slightly more positive than yesterday. It appears activism in MN made a difference this year! (see Shannon Savick among others).
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Ghost on Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:14 am

Federally yes. Statewise slightly but progress will not be likely for at least four more years.
Ghost

Postby LePetomane on Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:46 am

I would not count on it.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Tronster on Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:34 am

Republicans have taken a majority in the Minnesota House, so at least the dems don't have a three way free for all in the state now. Doubt any good 2A stuff will come our way but it should put a damper on any negative 2A projects also.
Tronster

Postby Uffdaphil on Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:37 am

On the whole, the recent national battle of a couple years ago was a huge win for our side. Despite big money from Bloomberg and pals, the most egregious proposals were shot down. It scared the heck out of politicians in yesterday's election. Fewer campaigned on more gun restrictions this cycle.

I think the antis have waved the bloody shirt too often and lost the fence sitters. The increasingly oppressive federal government has helped our arguments appear more rational than the "common sense" solutions of our opponents. Recent court rulings, especially regarding bearing arms, also make me optimistic.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby yuppiejr on Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:44 am

yuppiejr

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:17 am

My area failed hard this election year. I blame the mines and unions.
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby xd ED on Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:28 am

Uffdaphil wrote:On the whole, the recent national battle of a couple years ago was a huge win for our side. Despite big money from Bloomberg and pals, the most egregious proposals were shot down. It scared the heck out of politicians in yesterday's election. Fewer campaigned on more gun restrictions this cycle.

I think the antis have waved the bloody shirt too often and lost the fence sitters. The increasingly oppressive federal government has helped our arguments appear more rational than the "common sense" solutions of our opponents. Recent court rulings, especially regarding bearing arms, also make me optimistic.

Washington State, with money from bloomberg, gates, etc, just outlawed most private gun sales. Most transfers will now require a FFL.

And a broad, philosophical answer answer to the original question might be:

As long as the electorate continue to act as they did in the majority of state/ local elections, no liberties are safe.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby photogpat on Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:39 am

xd ED wrote:Washington State, with money from bloomberg, gates, etc, just outlawed most private gun sales. Most transfers will now require a FFL.

As long as the electorate continue to act as they did in the majority of state/ local elections, no liberties are safe.

Exactly why Bloomie is so dangerous...we'll see this same thing come up here....again....
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Uffdaphil on Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:12 am

photogpat wrote:
xd ED wrote:Washington State, with money from bloomberg, gates, etc, just outlawed most private gun sales. Most transfers will now require a FFL.

Exactly why Bloomie is so dangerous...we'll see this same thing come up here....again....

Good points, but I am still optimistic that, despite setbacks in the bluest states, a corner has been turned in the fight to make the public aware of the importance of the second amendment. The exposed lawlessness of government forces is a great educator.
NRA Endowment Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby Ghost on Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:31 am

Uffdaphil wrote:
photogpat wrote:

Good points, but I am still optimistic that, despite setbacks in the bluest states, a corner has been turned in the fight to make the public aware of the importance of the second amendment. The exposed lawlessness of government forces is a great educator.

Although MN is dark blue, there is a reasonable gun presence on both sides of the isle. Need to keep supporting GOCRA. I was really hoping for suppressor progress but I that's not going to happen. If Iowa can get their suppressor bill through then we can be one of the 8 states that like noise pollution.
Ghost

Postby Uffdaphil on Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:38 am

Supressors are my #1 want too. So sick of trying to get a good cheek weld with bowls on my head. Maybe if Iowa goes quiet it won't seem so radical to MN.
NRA Endowment Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby BigBlue on Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:41 am

Ghost wrote:Although MN is dark blue, there is a reasonable gun presence on both sides of the isle. Need to keep supporting GOCRA. I was really hoping for suppressor progress but I that's not going to happen. If Iowa can get their suppressor bill through then we can be one of the 8 states that like noise pollution.

I can't understand the continued staunch opposition to suppressors. There is nothing logical about it. They aren't some magical devices that makes guns deadly. They apparently aren't used in crimes in states that allow them. And they offer real health/safety value. I'm surprised a nanny state like MN isn't trying to mandate them for hearing safety. The opponents must just be stuck in make-believe land where these devices are the root of all crime. I shake my head at all of the stupid decisions that are made in this world based on bias, emotion, and general moronism.

BB
BigBlue

Postby farmerj on Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:14 am

BigBlue wrote:
Ghost wrote:Although MN is dark blue, there is a reasonable gun presence on both sides of the isle. Need to keep supporting GOCRA. I was really hoping for suppressor progress but I that's not going to happen. If Iowa can get their suppressor bill through then we can be one of the 8 states that like noise pollution.

I can't understand the continued staunch opposition to suppressors. There is nothing logical about it. They aren't some magical devices that makes guns deadly. They apparently aren't used in crimes in states that allow them. And they offer real health/safety value. I'm surprised a nanny state like MN isn't trying to mandate them for hearing safety. The opponents must just be stuck in make-believe land where these devices are the root of all crime. I shake my head at all of the stupid decisions that are made in this world based on bias, emotion, and general moronism.

BB

Lobby the DNR, they're the hold up.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Next

Return to Politics