MN Suppressors

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Re: MN Suppressors

Postby jtk5768 on Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:32 pm

greenfarmer wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:
jshuberg wrote:Great idea! You should ask Gov. Dayton not to veto SYG again next time you hang out with him. Thanks for helping!!

After vetoing SYG, do you seriously think he'd sign a suppressor bill? :roll:

Doesn't matter if he signs suppressors, SYG or any other bill. After how many years now of being on the defensive side of issues, let's open the legislative session on the offensive side of the whole gun issue. Instead of sitting back and waiting for them to attack our rights, let's get on the offensive side of things and start going after the things we want. The more passive we are and sit back, and not try to go after things we want to see happen, the more we will end up on the defensive side of things in the future.

Push for everything. Suppressors, SYG, machine guns, tanks, grenades, uzi's, you name it! I have 3 silo's that sit empty, even a missle or two just to fill them is fine with me! The more passive we are now, the more defensive we will have to be later. Let's not let waste this opportunity right now.

+1 with greenfarmer
jtk5768

Re: MN Suppressors

Postby mrp on Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:44 am

Grayskies wrote:Batteries can die and circuts can fail, suppressors seem less fail prone.

Q: What do you call electric earmuffs when the batteries are dead or a circuit has failed?

A: Earmuffs.
mrp

Postby Ghost on Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:40 am

mrp wrote:
Grayskies wrote:Batteries can die and circuts can fail, suppressors seem less fail prone.

Q: What do you call electric earmuffs when the batteries are dead or a circuit has failed?

A2: A reason to check the ammo case at Walmart for 22LR when in buying new batteries
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:18 am

MaryB wrote:My 10/22 would get one for sure. I use it for critter patrol and I am just in city limits so the quieter the better.

Tha is partly why the Anti's don't want you to have one and that is precisely why it is difficult to get that legislation through. Part if the thinking is - "Bad enough the gun nuts have the guns, but we certainly can't have them sneeking around with the ability to fire them without being discovered - in areas that they shouldn't be shooting or at times when they shouldn't be shooting". The primary way people get caught discharging a firearm within city limits or poaching is that someone hears the report after the gun is fired. Rarely is there someone there witnessing the event. As scared as the Anti crowd is of hearing a gun shot, they are even more scared that they may "not" hear the shot and that you have people using guns when and where they shouldn't. The DNR rely on reports of shots fired during illegal hunting hours - put a can on it and you take away one element of their war on bad guys. Same goes for the gun shot detection grid in most major cities.

IMHO - Any discussion of using a firearm in a way that is in conflict with Federal, State and local laws is bad enough, but needing to pass legislation to allow a previously banned piece of equipment to do so effectivly is a very poor discussion point. Find the merits of the tool and talk about that - not that it allows you to break the law.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Grayskies on Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:23 pm

mrp wrote:

A: Earmuffs.

True, but you loose your ability to hear, if you were dealing with an intruder at the time it could be bad...
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby cgk on Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:44 pm

bstrawse wrote:I believe we'll see legislation introduced in the 2015 session to legalize suppressors. I imagine we're in for a multi-session uphill battle to make this law, however.b

There are at least two issues here--use of suppressors and use of suppressors to hunt. In many states both are legal, but if the issue really is poaching, then that should not affect competition or target shooting with a suppressor.

In any event, this is not to my mind a "gun rights" issue--it's a health and safety issues. Where discharge of a firearm is legal, that same discharge is safer for everyone in the area if it is suppressed. Where discharge of a firearm is not legal, a suppressor should not make it any more illegal. Think of legal discharges on the range, hunting, inside a dwelling, etc. Each one of those discharges is safer for hearing if the firearm is suppressed. In Europe suppressors are common and sold without special limitations. In the US we do need the $200 tax stamp, but as noted in this thread most states allow suppressors.

How can we help push legalization along? What health and safety types might join the gun lobby?
Chris
NRA certified instructor and range safety officer
cgk

Postby MaryB on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:00 pm

I have permission from the city to take out skunks etc. but if it was quieter it would not give the anti gunners notice I was doing it. I have a grand total of 1 neighbor, farm fields on 2 sides and a horse pasture across the road.

yukonjasper wrote:
MaryB wrote:My 10/22 would get one for sure. I use it for critter patrol and I am just in city limits so the quieter the better.

Tha is partly why the Anti's don't want you to have one and that is precisely why it is difficult to get that legislation through. Part if the thinking is - "Bad enough the gun nuts have the guns, but we certainly can't have them sneeking around with the ability to fire them without being discovered - in areas that they shouldn't be shooting or at times when they shouldn't be shooting". The primary way people get caught discharging a firearm within city limits or poaching is that someone hears the report after the gun is fired. Rarely is there someone there witnessing the event. As scared as the Anti crowd is of hearing a gun shot, they are even more scared that they may "not" hear the shot and that you have people using guns when and where they shouldn't. The DNR rely on reports of shots fired during illegal hunting hours - put a can on it and you take away one element of their war on bad guys. Same goes for the gun shot detection grid in most major cities.

IMHO - Any discussion of using a firearm in a way that is in conflict with Federal, State and local laws is bad enough, but needing to pass legislation to allow a previously banned piece of equipment to do so effectivly is a very poor discussion point. Find the merits of the tool and talk about that - not that it allows you to break the law.
MaryB

Postby photogpat on Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:01 am

Any time the poaching or city shooting argument comes up - remind the speaker that using a suppressor in the commission of a crime, like poaching or reckless discharge within certain city limits, leads to serving FEDERAL TIME.

Not to mention undergoing the tax stamp and BG check to own one in the first place makes for some pretty expensive poached venison!
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Uffdaphil on Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:42 am

NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby LarryFlew on Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:03 am

I'm thinkin' the cost of stamp and silencer along with BG check would stop any criminal from doing any poaching etc..................

ImageImage Image
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby greenfarmer on Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:00 pm

I figured it's time to get this thread talked about...

Well, it's that time of year again.... Legislators will be heading back to the capital now, and starting to take up issues. Talk about stuff we need, don't need, and other stuff they can shove down our throats, and ways they can con money out of our pockets.

So this is something that should be brought up. Has anyone mentioned anything to local representatives? Is GOCRA or GOPAC going to be on our side and help push for this?
greenfarmer

Location: kinda by the SW Metro, but a little further out in the sticks.

Postby Deputyhiro on Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:50 pm

LarryFlew wrote:I'm thinkin' the cost of stamp and silencer along with BG check would stop any criminal from doing any poaching etc..................

ImageImage Image

It will most likely stop a law abiding citizen. However, I doubt it will stop a criminal. :)
It is better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.
Deputyhiro

Postby Ghost on Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:50 pm

I haven't seen this posted up here but thought it should be. May have missed it though.
https://www.facebook.com/mngopac/photos/a.223706547798844.1073741828.219302818239217/394669174035913/?type=1&theater
Ghost

Postby bstrawse on Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:40 pm

greenfarmer wrote:I figured it's time to get this thread talked about...

Well, it's that time of year again.... Legislators will be heading back to the capital now, and starting to take up issues. Talk about stuff we need, don't need, and other stuff they can shove down our throats, and ways they can con money out of our pockets.

So this is something that should be brought up. Has anyone mentioned anything to local representatives? Is GOCRA or GOPAC going to be on our side and help push for this?

This is one of our legislative priorities for this year - same for GOCRA.

Bryan
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby LarryFlew on Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:00 pm

Deputyhiro wrote:
LarryFlew wrote:I'm thinkin' the cost of stamp and silencer along with BG check would stop any criminal from doing any poaching etc..................

ImageImage Image

It will most likely stop a law abiding citizen. However, I doubt it will stop a criminal. :)

Ya think
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

PreviousNext

Return to Politics