MN Suppressors

Firearms related political discussion forum

MN Suppressors

Postby cgk on Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:53 am

New to MN, so can you tell me the prospects for suppressors becoming legal in this state?

MN is an outlier among the states on this topic which is clearly a matter of hearing protection.
Chris
NRA certified instructor and range safety officer
cgk

Re: MN Suppressors

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:01 am

he odds are somewhere between zero and completely non existent.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Hmac on Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:10 am

I agree, the odds for the near future are low. The entrenched culture at the DNR is holding us back.
Hmac

Postby bstrawse on Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:23 am

cgk wrote:New to MN, so can you tell me the prospects for suppressors becoming legal in this state?

MN is an outlier among the states on this topic which is clearly a matter of hearing protection.

I believe we'll see legislation introduced in the 2015 session to legalize suppressors. I imagine we're in for a multi-session uphill battle to make this law, however.

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby cobb on Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:32 am

I agree with Hmac on the DNR and they are a road block.
Years ago when talking to a local CO the topic came up. He said that he hated suppressors and crossbows because they are tools of choice of poachers. With that mindset or logic, it will be an obstacle to overcome.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby MJY65 on Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:55 am

How do the Dakotas, Wisconsin and other states seem to manage the suppressor poachers? It's not like Minnesota is the first state to want them.
MJY65

Postby 20mm on Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:03 am

bstrawse wrote:
cgk wrote:New to MN, so can you tell me the prospects for suppressors becoming legal in this state?

I believe we'll see legislation introduced in the 2015 session to legalize suppressors. I imagine we're in for a multi-session uphill battle to make this law, however.

b

I believe you've jumped off the deep end and forgot who the senators of Minnesota are. I hope it doesn't hurt too much diving into a pool without water. Just don't ask for sponsorship.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby xd ED on Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:13 am

20mm wrote:
bstrawse wrote:

b

I believe you've jumped off the deep end and forgot who the senators of Minnesota are. I hope it doesn't hurt too much diving into a pool without water. Just don't ask for sponsorship.

Could you remind us who are the senators whom would effect the decision?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Grayskies on Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:24 am

I kimd of think this would be a hard sell to the movie watching public, I can just imagine the news coverage. :(

Doesn't mean it is not worth doing.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Hmac on Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:30 am

20mm wrote:

I"m not sure that it's the legislators - they might be susceptible to public pressure, at least in some future legislature. I think, in the end, if a suppressor law passed, that "Governor Dayton" would pull his usual "I'm in favor of it but I'm vetoing it because my DNR friends say it would be bad".

I do agree, however, that a broad-based public effort should be undertaken to educate the public about the benefits of noise reduction and try to dispel the myth of ninja poachers laying waste to the state's deer population.
Last edited by Hmac on Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hmac

Postby 20mm on Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:31 am

xd ED wrote:Could you remind us who are the senators whom would effect the decision?

In your world a senators opinion doesn't matter. In the real world it does. Hope it doesn't hurt when you belly flop on mr. bstrawse.

ImageImage

Hmac wrote:I"m not sure that it's the Senators - they might be susceptible to public pressure, at least in some future legislature. I think, in the end, if a suppressor law passed, that "Governor Dayton" would pull his usual "I'm in favor of it but I'm vetoing it because my DNR friends say it would be bad".

Sure, pretend it's Jeff Johnson it's still not going to happen.
Last edited by 20mm on Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby Hmac on Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:35 am

20mm wrote:
xd ED wrote:Could you remind us who are the senators whom would effect the decision?

In your world a senators opinion doesn't matter. In the real world it does. Hope it doesn't hurt when you belly flop on mr. bstrawse.

ImageImage

You were talking about US Senators? We're talking about a state law, not Federal. Those two would carry no more weight on the Minnesota suppressor issue than they did on the previous "common sense gun law" attempts in Minnesota.
Hmac

Postby 20mm on Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:39 am

Hmac wrote:You were talking about US Senators? We're talking about a state law, not Federal. Those two would carry no more weight on the Minnesota suppressor issue than they did on the previous "common sense gun law" attempts in Minnesota.

Look how much effort it took to try to shut that down, even without the grass roots support. You're fooling yourself if you don't think they carry weight on the issue.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
20mm

Postby MJY65 on Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:06 pm

Grayskies wrote:I kimd of think this would be a hard sell to the movie watching public, I can just imagine the news coverage. :(

I'm sure the residents of the 39 states where they are legal watch movies too. While I'd love to be able to pin this all on the DNR, Dayton, Franken and Klobuchar, I think the bigger problem we are facing in this state is the hopelessly liberal voters that put them there.
MJY65

Postby xd ED on Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:18 pm

I think most MN residents would be very surprised when that saw the map; probably many in the DNR, as well.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Next

Return to Politics