Fed Appeals Court Rules Against Lead Ban

Firearms related political discussion forum

Fed Appeals Court Rules Against Lead Ban

Postby BigBlue on Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:14 pm

Looks like the environmental/anti-gun wackos were handed a setback in their attempts to get lead ammo banned.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/12/23/court-rules-against-environmentalists-seeking-epa-regs-for-lead-bullets/

A federal appeals court has ruled against environmentalists who are trying to force the Environmental Protection Agency to regulate spent lead bullets and lead shot used in hunting and shooting sports.

In a decision favorable to gun enthusiasts, the U.S. District Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit said Tuesday that environmental groups have suggested no way in which EPA could regulate spent lead bullets and shot without also regulating cartridges and shells.

The Toxic Substances Control Act exempts cartridges and shells from regulation.

Small successes...

BB
BigBlue

Re: Fed Appeals Court Rules Against Lead Ban

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:30 pm

Cool. Nice to see the courts rule in our favor
Bearcatrp

Postby Lumpy on Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:21 pm

Awhile back I read something about warnings that donated venison had unhealthy amounts of lead in it. An x-ray of a harvested deer showed scores of tiny lead fragments in the meat. Anyone here ever had any problems or concerns with game-related lead exposure?
Lumpy

Postby Nougat on Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:29 am

Lumpy wrote:Awhile back I read something about warnings that donated venison had unhealthy amounts of lead in it. An x-ray of a harvested deer showed scores of tiny lead fragments in the meat. Anyone here ever had any problems or concerns with game-related lead exposure?

just with partridge :)
Nougat

Postby xd ED on Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:39 am

Lumpy wrote:Awhile back I read something about warnings that donated venison had unhealthy amounts of lead in it. An x-ray of a harvested deer showed scores of tiny lead fragments in the meat. Anyone here ever had any problems or concerns with game-related lead exposure?

I recall a charity of some sort stopped taking venison donations after finding lead fragments in some ground venison.

A couple of related links:

http://www.ndhealth.gov/lead/venison/

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/lead/index.html
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby jdege on Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:53 pm

It was my understanding that metallic lead was nearly inert, and has almost no interaction with biological systems. That it was the organic lead compounds in the primers that were dangerous, not the metallic lead in the shot.
jdege

Postby xd ED on Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:08 pm

jdege wrote:It was my understanding that metallic lead was nearly inert, and has almost no interaction with biological systems. That it was the organic lead compounds in the primers that were dangerous, not the metallic lead in the shot.

I believe it's when lead is digested. In humans, other mammal predators by digestive acids, with birds it's ground up by digestive grit- that gets the lead into the blood stream and organs.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Ghost on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:18 pm

Sorry for digging this up, just noticed it. I have shot deer filled with lead bird shot before. I assume some nice pheasant hunters thought it'd be fun to pepper it. This was back when I was hunting my parents farm in a different state so we had lots of landowner tags, we considered the deer varmints. Most of that deer ended up going to the dogs because I was finding BB's everywhere, had to have been shot more than once. The dogs are still alive.
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:49 pm

I'm not as inclined to get to excited about the ruling - a small victory, but it did provide a standard/test that had to be met, which now gives the Anti Led/Anti Gun Crowd their new target.

In a decision favorable to gun enthusiasts, the U.S. District Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit said Tuesday that environmental groups have suggested no way in which EPA could regulate spent lead bullets and shot without also regulating cartridges and shells.

The point being that now they have the EPA admitting that if the concerns are valid, they really have to regulate the cartidges and shells - bad news for everyone. Banning lead is one thing since you can come up with alternative to the metal - regualting the means to deliver the Lead leaves you without any cartidges or shells or at the very least some sort of tax or registration on the ammo.

Maybe I'm too cynical, but I don't think the Anti's went into the fight without knowing which directions this could go. Incrementalism is their weapon.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Return to Politics