Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act

Postby atomic41 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:17 am

The idea that a state could pass a law or amendment to the state constitution that would prohibit the federal government from involving themselves in an area is purely symbolic. The whole idea of federal nullification died with the civil war -- it's never been upheld by the courts (the federal courts) as valid.

I agree, in theory, that an item created entirely with in a state should not be subject to federal law in terms of the commerce clause - but the courts view this quite differently.

It hasn't been a legislative priority in Minnesota because it's unlikely to pass with the current makeup, has mostly symbolic value, and would require significant resource commitment that could be better spent on other priorities.

Now, a constitutional amendment, like Missouri's, that calls for strict scrutiny - strongly establishes a state level right to keep and bear arms... those are valuable. I am all for it -- and you'll see that as a legislative priority for the MN Gun Owners PAC in 2015 - and GOCRA as well.

Keep in mind that amending the MN constitution is difficult - we have to get the amendment through the legislature, then place on the ballot - and then engage in a year-long plus public fight to get that ballot passed for the amendment. We'll need to raise $1M - $2M to do this effectively. But it's something we need to do.

Sorry for the long-winded answer, hope this helps -
B[/quote]

Fantastic answer and much appreciated! Consider me on board. :cheers:
atomic41

Previous

Return to Politics