Easy ways to help stop the M855 ban

Firearms related political discussion forum

Postby Scratch on Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:44 pm

For those of you that want to stop the green tip ammo ban, but don't like writing letters, here are two super simple websites that take about 30 seconds each to send off a letter.

http://savem855.com/

http://nssf.org/GovRel/takeAction2.cfm?alertID=80492
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Re: Easy ways to help stop the M855 ban

Postby Long Ago LEO on Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:07 am

Guessing the administration is not interested in our voice, considering the new ATF Regulation Guide (released January 2015) already has removed them from the exempt list. These guides have to be OMB approved, so they're only updated about once a decade. Green Tips were exempt in the '05 guide, but not in the recently released 2014 Guide. Several articles online now about the timeline necessary to pull this off ahead of the actual rule change. So... implementation has already been spelled out, even though we're still in the (abbreviated) "public comment" stage.
Long Ago LEO

Postby Jackpine Savage on Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:41 am

The ATF backed off from that, saying it was a 'publishing error', yeh right. Perhaps they are backing off because of the backlash.

We need to keep the pressure up on congress, they are the ones that can make it uncomfortable for the ATF, ie. funding, taking away authority.
Jackpine Savage

Postby photogpat on Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:19 am

The comment period is a sham. They really just don't give two ***** about what you and I (or industry) have to say.

I never thought of them as openly antagonistic until this...
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby steve4102 on Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:03 am

Jackpine Savage wrote:The ATF backed off from that, saying it was a 'publishing error', yeh right. Perhaps they are backing off because of the backlash.

We need to keep the pressure up on congress, they are the ones that can make it uncomfortable for the ATF, ie. funding, taking away authority.

When was the last time, or the first time, you saw this happen?
steve4102

Postby Scratch on Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:46 am

Here is their explanation.

Keep writing those letters!
Scratch

Postby Jackpine Savage on Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:40 am

steve4102 wrote:
Jackpine Savage wrote:The ATF backed off from that, saying it was a 'publishing error', yeh right. Perhaps they are backing off because of the backlash.

When was the last time, or the first time, you saw this happen?

Look up the Tiahrt amendment. I agree that it doesn't happen often enough, and with the Dems in the Senate and Obama nothing significant will be done. But we did get carry in the National Parks past Obama by adding it to a bill that he wanted (credit card reform).
Jackpine Savage

Postby Scratch on Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:14 pm

The mistake in the firearms reference guide has been revised March 7 2015. Here's the statement of revision:

And on page 190, near the bottom, is the revision showing that XM855 has NOT been banned yet:

It doesn't mean that XM855 isn't going to be banned, it just means that they haven't banned it "yet" like many have thought.

SO PLEASE... KEEP WRITING THOSE LETTERS,
Scratch

Postby LarryP on Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:42 am

Amy & Al replied to my letter, I'm sure they're on our side! lol :(
LarryP

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:06 pm

Has there been any crimes involving this ammo? I don't shoot 5.56/223 but if they get away banning this, what's next. Just would like to know what really started this BS. Yeah, there excuse about AR pistols is stated as the reason but have to wonder if there is more to this than what we are being lead to believe.
Bearcatrp

Postby bnelson06 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:49 pm

LarryP wrote:Amy & Al replied to my letter, I'm sure they're on our side! lol :(

They reply every time I write too, they are nice aren't they.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bnelson06

Postby igofast on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:50 am

Bearcatrp wrote:Has there been any crimes involving this ammo?

According to the Fraternal Order of Police the round has not posed a law enforcement problem : http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/03/foghorn/fraternal-order-of-police-no-m855-ban-needed/

Bearcatrp wrote:I don't shoot 5.56/223 but if they get away banning this, what's next.

This is perhaps the biggest issue. Despite the law never intending to cover rifle cartridges, it isn't written that way. And with any rifle cartridge capable of defeating body armor, and pistols available in most rifle cartidges - it makes for bad precedent.

Bearcatrp wrote:Just would like to know what really started this BS. Yeah, there excuse about AR pistols is stated as the reason but have to wonder if there is more to this than what we are being lead to believe.

Who knows the actual reason, but the biggest rumors are: retaliation for the Sig Brace(or AR pistols in general) and Back Door Gun Control. I feel the BATFE tested the waters with the 7N6 5.45 ammo ban and I don't think they got a lot of opposition, so they thought they could ramp up.

There's an interesting article published on the Shooting Wire http://www.shootingwire.com/archived/2015-03-09_sw.html that disbanding the BATFE won't resolve the issue, the GCA needs to be repealed or at very least updated. I happen to agree. Disbanding the BATFE will just shift responsibility for enforcing the crappy laws on some other department(wouldn't it be great if it went to the BLM :roll: ).
igofast

Postby Thunder71 on Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:00 am

Funny thing is, I've never heard of M855 before the ban attempt... now everyone talks about it like it's all they can shoot. :lol:
Thunder71

Postby photogpat on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:35 am

ATF backtracks in the face of overwhelming grassroots opposition.

atf_AP_backtrack.png
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby AFTERMATH on Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:57 pm

Huzza!
RWVA Senior Instructor -- http://www.RWVA.org
AFTERMATH

Next

Return to Politics