Omnibus Bill passes committee, full house vote on Thursday

Firearms related political discussion forum

Postby 2in2out on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:07 pm

Great news from GOCRA's Facebook page:

VICTORY!
Today, the Minnesota House Public Safety Committee approved the Public Safety Omnibus Bill, HF849.
The omnibus bill includes:
* Rep. Eric Lucero's interstate purchase bill, HF830
* Rep. Jim Newberger's emergency Powers bill, HF722
* Rep. Jim Nash's capitol notification bill, HF372
* Part of Rep. Dan Fabian's reciprocity bill, HF305
Being included in an omnibus bill means that the measures have a fighting chance in the Minnesota Senate, where Sen. Ron Latz has refused to hear any pro-2A bills.
The omnibus bill now heads to the Ways and Means committee, and then to the House floor.
The bill passed the Public Safety committee with a roll call vote of 15-2, but the gun amendments were accepted with no opposition.

GUN VOTE THURSDAY
On Thursday, the full House will vote on four gun rights bills.
Please come to the Capitol at 3:00 Thursday to show your support for these bills! Wear your GOCRA shirt (or any maroon shirt), to show our strength.
Need a shirt? Pre-order one here: http://www.gocra.mn/shirt
Here are the bills:
Rep. Mark Anderson's suppressor bill, HF1434
Rep. Eric Lucero's interstate purchase bill, HF830
Rep. Jim Newberger's emergency Powers bill, HF722
Rep. Jim Nash's capitol notification bill, HF372
These bills will be presented and voted individually, to show how much support they have in the House, which should help the omnibus bill move forward (see our last update).
When: Thursday, April 16, 2015, 3:00 p.m.
Where: Minnesota State Capitol
Map: http://www.gocra.mn/capmap
Park: $1.75/hr in lot AA (at Aurora & Rice) or at meters
Wear: A maroon shirt (especially a GOCRA shirt!) -- or dress clothes (suits or dresses)
Carry: Discreetly, after notifying the commissioner: http://www.gocra.mn/capcarry
Tip: The meters and parking are only enforced until 4! Don't overfeed the meters!
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Re: Omnibus Bill passes committee, full house vote on Thursday

Postby BigBlue on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:56 am

Sounds like it will be important to show up at the Capitol tomorrow afternoon. Unfortunately I won't be in the area so I cannot attend. Hopefully the word gets out though!

BB
BigBlue

Postby 2in2out on Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:31 pm

The latest from GOCRA:

Everyone wants to know: what's going on with the suppressor bill?
THAT DEPENDS ON YOU!
If the House sees a big turnout of support for the suppressor legalization bill, HF1434, on Thursday at 3:00, they may be convinced to put the suppressor bill into the public safety omnibus bill.
Adding the suppressor bill to the omnibus would give it the BEST CHANCE of getting through the Senate.
So put on a maroon shirt and join us at the Capitol on Thursday at 3:00, and let the legislature know loud and clear that Minnesotans like their guns...not quite as loud.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby DustinD on Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:05 pm

We won, all four bills are moving on. Suppressors passed 89 to 40.

My live blog is here: http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=47068

Video of the event is here: http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/htv/pr ... _id=882012
DustinD

Postby bstrawse on Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:29 am

DustinD wrote:We won, all four bills are moving on. Suppressors passed 89 to 40.

My live blog is here: http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=47068

Video of the event is here: http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/htv/pr ... _id=882012

Elections matter. These bills passing was the result of putting a Pro-Second Amendment legislature in place in November and a lot of hard work lobbying this session by GOCRA.

Let's do the same in the Senate in 2016.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:15 pm

Think the Dem's are a bit scared of losing there seat next election. Time to put these A holes out of there misery are get rid of all of them.
Bearcatrp

Postby bstrawse on Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:23 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Think the Dem's are a bit scared of losing there seat next election. Time to put these A holes out of there misery are get rid of all of them.

I'm all for keeping pro-gun DFL'ers - it's the anti's that I want to take out.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby westhope on Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:50 pm

The 2003 shall issue carry bill would never have passed without the support of some (mostly rural and northern) DFL'ers.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:03 pm

Excellent work so far - what are the odds that it goes all the way? Understanding Governor Mumbles seems to be indicating he will veto any bill that restores or expands gun rights.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby 2in2out on Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:46 pm

I sent very nice-yet-persuasive e-mails to Senator Latz and Senator Bakk on the bills waiting to be heard in the Judiciary committee.

Next, I'll send a note to Representative Drazkowski for representing me so capably this session.

Would the Omnibus Bill be heard directly on the Senate floor or does it go to a different committee first?
2in2out

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:33 am

Have read on another forum that the suppressor bill was not included in the overall bill. Can anyone confirm this?
Bearcatrp

Postby bstrawse on Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:30 am

Bearcatrp wrote:Have read on another forum that the suppressor bill was not included in the overall bill. Can anyone confirm this?

The suppressor bill was added yesterday to the omnibus in committee - so it's in there now.
b
bstrawse

Postby 2in2out on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:06 pm

Did I hear it right? Through the Senate?

SF 878 and HF 849

So, now it goes back to committee to hash out differences, right?
2in2out

Postby jshuberg on Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:22 pm

Yep. And there are no differences between the house and senate versions of the gun provisions. It's not guaranteed, but extremely likely the gun provisions will survive untouched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby bstrawse on Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:12 pm

jshuberg wrote:Yep. And there are no differences between the house and senate versions of the gun provisions. It's not guaranteed, but extremely likely the gun provisions will survive untouched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are minor differences between the House and Senate versions. I expect that the gun provisions will survive though.
b
bstrawse

Next

Return to Politics