Omnibus Bill passes committee, full house vote on Thursday

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Omnibus Bill passes committee, full house vote on Thursday

Postby Hmac on Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:31 pm

Dayton was pretty clear that he would veto a suppressor bill. Would he veto the entire omnibus package to do so?
Hmac

Re: Omnibus Bill passes committee, full house vote on Thursday

Postby bummey on Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:32 pm

Hmac wrote:Dayton was pretty clear that he would veto a suppressor bill. Would he veto the entire omnibus package to do so?

User Ranb on arfcom made a pretty good point with this

Remember this is not just a silencer bill or a gun bill. It is the Omnibus public safety finance and policy bill. I copied it to a Word document; it is 165 pages with about 30,488 words. It is huge. The silencer portion takes up only a bit more than 2 pages with 625 words. This is about 2% of the bill. Dayton is going to have a ton of reasons to sign, not sign or veto the bill. As far as I know everything that was put into the bill would have passed on the floor without much hassle anyway, it they ever got a hearing to begin with. But since there isn't enough time to consider each bill on its own merits they get shoved into one huge bill.

This bill appropriates millions of dollars for state programs. It involves school safety, hazardous material programs, terrorism, firefighters, sex trafficking, accounting of rape kits and a long list of other stuff that may be potentially helpful to the state. Does Dayton want to be the man who reduces protection for child sex slaves and takes money from firefighters? Probably not. I don't think Dayton will veto the bill.

It's a huge bill. Dayton will be pissing on a massive number of other things just to spite those gosh darn gun nuts.
bummey

Previous

Return to Politics