Firearms related political discussion forum

North Dakota Reciprocity

Postby PhilaBOR on Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:02 pm

Or my representative or senator.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Re: North Dakota Reciprocity WILL be fixed

Postby 642rUS on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:34 pm

During the House hearings the Assistant Commissioner of the DPS stated TWICE that deleting "substantial" would cause North Dakota advanced permit and other states (not identified) to be recognized by Minnesota. The Agency knows the Legislature wants this fixed fast. I think they will not drag their feet. The change is in SF878.

Joe Olson
GOCRA Chairman
642rUS

Re: North Dakota Reciprocity

Postby inspyrd on Tue May 26, 2015 9:48 am

Now that Dayton has signed this into law, how long will it take before reciprocity agreements start expanding?
Guns are dangerous. The only thing more dangerous is not having them. - G. Edward Griffin
inspyrd

Postby ex-LT on Tue May 26, 2015 1:38 pm

inspyrd wrote:Now that Dayton has signed this into law, how long will it take before reciprocity agreements start expanding?

This isn't an automatic expansion. IIRC, the PTC requirements for other states have to be reviewed by the Public Safety Commissioner, and then once he or she gives their OK, recognition is granted.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Chunkychuck on Tue May 26, 2015 2:58 pm

This is great news but when is DPS going to find out what needs to be done so that states that currently reject our permit, even though we accept theirs, will accept our permits. Texas is the one that comes to the forefront.
Chunkychuck

Postby Burleigh on Wed May 27, 2015 5:18 am

Tell me if I'm wrong about North Dakota reciprocity in the law just passed.

I found that there is a section of the SF878 bill just passed ( SF328 ) which states "North Dakota permit to carry a pistol in Minnesota recognition. " Does this mean that Minnesota will now by law recognize North Dakota permits ?

If it does then the North Dakota law which states that " Reciprocity with North Dakota is at the discretion of the other state. " should mean that if we recognize them they will automatically recognize us.

North Dakota also passed a number of improvements in their carry law which will allow permit holders to carry in more locations.

Could an epidemic of sanity just broken out ?
Burleigh

Postby bstrawse on Wed May 27, 2015 7:57 am

Burleigh wrote:Tell me if I'm wrong about North Dakota reciprocity in the law just passed.

I found that there is a section of the SF878 bill just passed ( SF328 ) which states "North Dakota permit to carry a pistol in Minnesota recognition. " Does this mean that Minnesota will now by law recognize North Dakota permits ?

If it does then the North Dakota law which states that " Reciprocity with North Dakota is at the discretion of the other state. " should mean that if we recognize them they will automatically recognize us.

North Dakota also passed a number of improvements in their carry law which will allow permit holders to carry in more locations.

Could an epidemic of sanity just broken out ?

You need to look at the bill that passed - SF328 does not have the same text.

Here's the bill that passed: SF878.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/text.p ... n_number=0

Sec. 17. Minnesota Statutes 2014, section 624.714, subdivision 16, is amended to read:

Subd. 16. Recognition of permits from other states. (a) The commissioner must
annually establish and publish a list of other states that have laws governing the issuance
of permits to carry weapons that are not deleted text beginsubstantiallydeleted text end similar to this section. The list
must be available on the Internet. A person holding a carry permit from a state not on
the list may use the license or permit in this state subject to the rights, privileges, and
requirements of this section.
(b) Notwithstanding paragraph (a), no license or permit from another state is valid in
this state if the holder is or becomes prohibited by law from possessing a firearm.
(c) Any sheriff or police chief may file a petition under subdivision 12 seeking an
order suspending or revoking an out-of-state permit holder's authority to carry a pistol in
this state on the grounds set forth in subdivision 6, paragraph (a), clause (3). An order shall
only be issued if the petitioner meets the burden of proof and criteria set forth in subdivision
12. If the court denies the petition, the court must award the permit holder reasonable
costs and expenses including attorney fees. The petition may be filed in any county in the
state where a person holding a license or permit from another state can be found.
(d) The commissioner must, when necessary, execute reciprocity agreements
regarding carry permits with jurisdictions whose carry permits are recognized under
paragraph (a).

The change was to change from "substantially similar" to "similar"... which we've been told would alleviate the ND recriprocity situation, and potentially other states as well.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Burleigh on Wed May 27, 2015 8:19 am

Are you thinking that SF378 did not end up in the final version of the law ?

Because if it is in the final version then the statement that "North Dakota permit to carry a pistol in Minnesota recognition. " would appear to be a special case of reciprocity recognized by Minnesota.
Burleigh

Postby RobD on Wed May 27, 2015 8:37 am

Burleigh wrote:Are you thinking that SF378 did not end up in the final version of the law ?

Because if it is in the final version then the statement that "North Dakota permit to carry a pistol in Minnesota recognition. " would appear to be a special case of reciprocity recognized by Minnesota.

It didn't. The law is what Bryan noted above.

I was present when DPS council stated that this language change would allow him to accept ND class 2 permits. I expect that to happen rather soon. ND is waiting anxiously for us to accept them, so they can accept us.
Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Reloading, RSO)
Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors
RobD

Postby Burleigh on Wed May 27, 2015 8:42 am

Thanks. This is the part of the law which will have the greatest impact on me.
Burleigh

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed May 27, 2015 11:16 am

I hate to be the wet blanket, and perhaps I'm off base, but I don't see anything changing anytime soon. Dropping "substantially" from the law doesn't force the Governor or his appointed lackeys to change their ways, it only eliminates one of the excuses used in not doing so.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby RobD on Wed May 27, 2015 12:34 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I hate to be the wet blanket, and perhaps I'm off base, but I don't see anything changing anytime soon. Dropping "substantially" from the law doesn't force the Governor or his appointed lackeys to change their ways, it only eliminates one of the excuses used in not doing so.

If council from DPS goes back on his agreement with us, then we will address it with legislation next year.
Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Reloading, RSO)
Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors
RobD

Previous

Return to Politics