CONTACT GOV DAYTON RE Sign Suppressor Bill

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: CONTACT GOV DAYTON RE Sign Suppressor Bill

Postby igofast on Thu May 07, 2015 9:26 am

Just throwing this out there - I know there are much more savvy people out there than me.

Is there a reason why we are making suppressors our central point? I know that Dayton has said he'll veto a suppressor bill - but what will be sent to him is not a suppressor bill - it's an omnibus bill that contains many items he is probably in favor of. Suppressors are only a small fraction of what is in that bill. Can't we call out the multitude of other items that he 'has to have' and address suppressors on the periphery?

Again - just a thought. But it seems like we're going about this the wrong way. Any ad's specifically addressing suppressors(and I don't know what the ad's contain) are probably only going to be favored by people who already know what they are about - whereas people who don't probably already have opinions provided to them(by Hollywood). I don't know that it's possible to convince someone(even a gun owner uneducated in suppressors) in a 30 second spot. Lets focus on 'common sense' legislation that the Governor would veto just because he has an unfounded fear of suppressors?
igofast

Postby bstrawse on Thu May 07, 2015 11:12 am

igofast wrote:Just throwing this out there - I know there are much more savvy people out there than me.

Is there a reason why we are making suppressors our central point? I know that Dayton has said he'll veto a suppressor bill - but what will be sent to him is not a suppressor bill - it's an omnibus bill that contains many items he is probably in favor of. Suppressors are only a small fraction of what is in that bill. Can't we call out the multitude of other items that he 'has to have' and address suppressors on the periphery?

Again - just a thought. But it seems like we're going about this the wrong way. Any ad's specifically addressing suppressors(and I don't know what the ad's contain) are probably only going to be favored by people who already know what they are about - whereas people who don't probably already have opinions provided to them(by Hollywood). I don't know that it's possible to convince someone(even a gun owner uneducated in suppressors) in a 30 second spot. Lets focus on 'common sense' legislation that the Governor would veto just because he has an unfounded fear of suppressors?

Who said the ads would be focused on suppressors? :)

I agree with your main points here, btw.

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby igofast on Thu May 07, 2015 11:24 am

bstrawse wrote:

b

Thanks, like I said - more savvy people than I. :D

The main reason I brought it up(other than the OP), is because when I went to send the Gov. another message thru GOCRA's site(awesome feature BTW) it was suppressor-centric. I changed the verbiage almost completely to be bill-centric.
igofast

Postby bstrawse on Thu May 07, 2015 11:43 am

igofast wrote:
bstrawse wrote:

b

Thanks, like I said - more savvy people than I. :D

The main reason I brought it up(other than the OP), is because when I went to send the Gov. another message thru GOCRA's site(awesome feature BTW) it was suppressor-centric. I changed the verbiage almost completely to be bill-centric.

Ah - I hadn't checked that. I'll give that feedback to the GOCRA team.

Thanks!
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby MaryB on Thu May 07, 2015 8:25 pm

Maybe in the ads do a sound level comparison...
MaryB

Postby Yourcfi on Sat May 16, 2015 8:22 am

Any news or guess when this will be leaving committee?

Does it have to be done before the session ends on May 18th?
Yourcfi

Postby 2in2out on Sun May 17, 2015 9:50 am

Yourcfi wrote:Any news or guess when this will be leaving committee?

Does it have to be done before the session ends on May 18th?

I was going to summarize what I'd heard last night, but couldn't submit replies for some reason. By I logged in this morning, this thread does a better job than I was attempting:

http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=54108
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby JK-linux on Fri May 22, 2015 11:13 am

JK-linux

Postby BigBlue on Fri May 22, 2015 11:45 am

That is such crappy reporting!! Ugh. First of all, there really is only 'controversy' about two of the five firearms-related bills. Second, the one about capitol carry is a minor tweak to eliminate redundant notification requirements, not actually ALLOWING carry at the capitol.

I hate it when uniformed (or intentionally biased) people try to write about something.

BB
BigBlue

Postby LarryP on Fri May 22, 2015 2:56 pm

Next Year- Make All Class 3 weapons legal here :D
LarryP

Postby MJY65 on Fri May 22, 2015 3:43 pm

I just got an email from the NRA claiming victory. How active were they in this? It seems like it was mostly a GOCRA win that they are taking credit for.
MJY65

CONTACT GOV DAYTON RE Sign Suppressor Bill

Postby jshuberg on Fri May 22, 2015 3:52 pm

It was a GOCRA led effort, but the NRA did play an important role, mostly behind the scenes. There is enough victory cake to go around, and the NRA does deserves a piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby MJY65 on Fri May 22, 2015 4:08 pm

That's great! I sent GOCRA an extra donation this morning to help replenish the funds. I'm sure this was an expensive effort.
MJY65

Postby LarryP on Fri May 22, 2015 6:53 pm

Anytime we can gain gun rights in this day and age, it's a major victory to say the least!
Thank You to everyone involved in the process
LarryP

Postby Lumpy on Fri May 22, 2015 7:51 pm

To everyone in GOCRA and everyone who supports them and everyone who pushed the emails and phone calls:

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
Lumpy

Previous

Return to Politics