Suppressor Bill Signed!

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Suppressor Bill Signed!

Postby Hmac on Sun May 24, 2015 2:56 pm

crbutler wrote:Did this bill do anything to allow their use for hunting? There have been some here that say it will allow them to shoot multiple animals out of a herd because the suppressed shot doesn't cause them to run...

LOL. Sounds like something a DNR conservation officer would say.
Hmac

Postby DustinD on Sun May 24, 2015 8:04 pm

The hearing loss issue is worse than we thought. You can't adequately protect your hearing with just plugs and muffs because of sound conduction through the lower jaw. This limits the maximum effective noise attenuation to 36db. Most of my research and sources are located in this thread. http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index ... ic=47539.0

Without both a suppressor and some form of ear protection on top of it many rifles aren't safe to shoot. Another nice thing is that a suppressor takes the place of a brake and reduces recoil.
DustinD

Postby bstrawse on Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

crbutler wrote:Since everyone keeps bringing up that these are so important for hunting...

Did this bill do anything to allow their use for hunting? There have been some here that say it will allow them to shoot multiple animals out of a herd because the suppressed shot doesn't cause them to run... To me, that is unsporting. Fine if you are shooting varmints, but not game animals.

As to hearing protection, I get that. I have REALLY bad hearing, and bad tinnitus, and have it since 5-6. That said, depending on your suppressor to protect your hearing is BS. You still need to worry about the other guy. Plugs, that protects you from everyone. Just saying.

While I would like one for some things, and will be getting a couple, I personally got by just fine without them, it was the principle of the ban that annoyed me.

The bill allows suppressors for all lawful purposes, including hunting.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Burleigh on Mon May 25, 2015 8:49 am

Does this law go into effect on July first ?
Burleigh

Postby bstrawse on Mon May 25, 2015 9:09 am

Burleigh wrote:Does this law go into effect on July first ?

Yes.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby DustinD on Mon May 25, 2015 10:19 am

The hunting section goes into affect August 1st.
DustinD

Postby tenmilmag on Mon May 25, 2015 10:34 am

Congrates to all you future suppressor owners!!!
Can't wait to see the firearms picture threads light up :)
tenmilmag

Postby jshuberg on Mon May 25, 2015 11:51 am

crbutler wrote:There have been some here that say it will allow them to shoot multiple animals out of a herd because the suppressed shot doesn't cause them to run... To me, that is unsporting. Fine if you are shooting varmints, but not game animals.

That claim is no different than the claim that everyone will turn into ninjas and assassins if suppressors were legalized. It's simply complete BS. Suppressors don't silence a firearm, they lower the sound of the concussion blast at the muzzle. The sound produced from a suppressed .308 rifle is still around 5 times louder than a jackhammer. I doubt many game animals would ignore something like that. A suppressor also does nothing to limit the ballistic crack (sonic boom) of the bullet breaking the sound barrier. While there is subsonic ammo that you can use with a suppressor, it doesn't lend itself to hunting anything other than varmints. There is a reason that people hunt with bullets that move fast - they're effective at taking game.

As far as unsporting goes, the Boone and Crocket Club, arbiters of the fair chase doctrine since 1887, do not believe that game taken with a suppressor gives the hunter an improper or unethical advantage. However, use of other technology such as radios and drone cameras are considered a fair chase violation, and are ineligible for records. I understand that this is a big issue for many hunters, as it should be. But those organizations like Boone and Crocket who establish the conditions of fair chase have found no issue with suppressors. In fact, Teddy Roosevelt often used a suppressed rifle when hunting, and he was the original author of "The Credo of Fair Chase" back in 1893.

There is going to be a lot of misunderstandings and misinformation in the near future, and much of it - like the question of fair chase - is a legitimate question that deserves to be answered honestly for people. We've gotten word that the sales staff at a particular Cabela's has been telling their customers that people are limited to 4 suppressors, and that each one can only be used on the specific firearm it was registered for. This is complete and total bull$hit, but there are going to be a lot of customers of their who will repeat this nonsense, and swear up and down that it's the truth because they heard it from an "expert". This forum, as well as silentMinnesota and MN NFA Only on Facebook, and a multitude of other sites are a great source for info on the change to the law, as well as information on suppressors in general.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby goalie on Mon May 25, 2015 5:11 pm

crbutler wrote:Did this bill do anything to allow their use for hunting? There have been some here that say it will allow them to shoot multiple animals out of a herd because the suppressed shot doesn't cause them to run... To me, that is unsporting. Fine if you are shooting varmints, but not game animals.

That is funny. I shot two deer in a little less than a minute with a single-shot 44 magnum rifle. Sometimes it's movement, not sound, that spooks the deer. A silencer isn't going to turn a sucky hunter into a deer-killing poacher any more than buying a bigger rifle will kill more deer.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby 340PD on Mon May 25, 2015 8:47 pm

I was thinking the same thing in that unless you use subsonic ammo you're still going to be hearing the crack of the bullet breaking the sound barrier which I believe is still above the threshold for hearing damage. Indoors I think that would still be an issue (as would other shooters anyway if you're not alone). I don't know OUTDOORS though if that is still an issue. I'm guessing it still is. Regarding subsonic ammo, I wonder if that has the energy needed to cycle a semi-auto (AR-15 for example)?
340PD

Postby BigBlue on Tue May 26, 2015 7:58 am

crbutler wrote:Did this bill do anything to allow their use for hunting? There have been some here that say it will allow them to shoot multiple animals out of a herd because the suppressed shot doesn't cause them to run... To me, that is unsporting. Fine if you are shooting varmints, but not game animals.

Same way hunting with a bow & arrow or crossbow allows multiple kills because they are silent & deadly?
BigBlue

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue May 26, 2015 9:12 am

BigBlue wrote:

Same way hunting with a bow & arrow or crossbow allows multiple kills because they are silent & deadly?

I have been using a suppressed bow with subsonic arrows for years.
Holland&Holland

Previous

Return to Politics