Nuts and Bolts of suppressors- Q&A

Firearms related political discussion forum

Postby MJY65 on Sat May 23, 2015 8:54 am

Now that the legislative part is done, it would be nice to hear what people are learning about the purchase process etc. I thought I'd start fresh rather than tagging on to the other threads.

Having never lived where they are legal, I'm starting from scratch. Of course, the internet has both good and bad information, so maybe we can sort through a bit as it applies to us newbies.

I'll start with my first question:

What's the real scoop on trusts? From what I've read, there's really no good reason not to do it that way other than the initial cost of setting it up. Are you finding the same?
MJY65

Re: Nuts and Bolts of suppressors- Q&A

Postby xd ED on Sat May 23, 2015 9:38 am

Re trusts, if I were young, with no adult children, living somewhere the CLEO was a known good guy, I might skip the trust.
Otherwise I'd make an NFA Trust part of my estate planing strategy.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Hmac on Sat May 23, 2015 12:52 pm

What is the difference between an "NFA Trust" and any other Living Trust or Revocable Trust? I already have a living trust. What's to keep me from submitting a Form 1 or Form 4 under that trust?
Hmac

Postby LarryFlew on Sat May 23, 2015 1:02 pm

quote from one of the suppressor sites regarding why a living trust MAY not work as a gun trust.

— may need to last for more than one generation — may have multiple trustees, and — must address both state and federal weapons laws.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby jshuberg on Sat May 23, 2015 1:09 pm

There are legalities specific to owning NFA items that should be addressed in a trust that owns them. For example, if any named person in a trust becomes prohibited from owning firearms, the trust becomes unable to own firearms unless there is language in the trust that addresses this. There are potential issues with minor children, etc.

Any legally valid trust can own NFA items, but for most people it's worth spending a little more and have a trust created that addresses potential life situations that could occur.

It's also a good idea to have a separate trust just for NFA items. BATFE needs a copy of the full declaration of trust, as well as schedule A that lists all the property in the trust. If you use a trust you've already set up, BATFE will know about things and property in your personal life they have no business knowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby LumberZach on Sat May 23, 2015 9:39 pm

I am looking at silencerco products, and they have what they call an easytrust. For about $130 that is supposed to encompass everything to get started. xd ED brings up my situation... Young, no kids and Cleo may sign off, but I am kinda looking to add a few silencers to the collection immediately. I may just start with this easytrust route. Anyone hear anything about these yet? I seem to hear continuous good things about silencerco, it seems like they should have this sort of thing pretty well put together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby LarryFlew on Sat May 23, 2015 11:24 pm

Have seen NFA trusts out there for as low as $79. Most that also sell suppressors are $129.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby gaberelli on Sun May 24, 2015 5:51 am

I strongly recommend reaching out to Ben Rust at http://minnesotaguntrustlawyer.com. He is a MN guy and knows his stuff. He's been incredibly helpful and accessible for me. His price is as low as $99.

Heinous typos thanks to autocorrect.
gaberelli

Postby 2in2out on Sun May 24, 2015 6:56 am

gaberelli wrote:I strongly recommend reaching out to Ben Rust at http://minnesotaguntrustlawyer.com. He is a MN guy and knows his stuff. He's been incredibly helpful and accessible for me. His price is as low as $99.

Heinous typos thanks to autocorrect.

Thanks - I was wondering the same thing.

I think this would be much better than a Quicken/easytrust/non-lawyer trust.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby yukonjasper on Sun May 24, 2015 7:21 am

There is someone on this board that advertised services. Whiteox has a listing.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby crbutler on Sun May 24, 2015 12:45 pm

OK, its kind of an ugly thought, but if they reverse the ban on suppressors, its a ban on transfers.

If you have a personally stamped one, its yours, and unless they put language in that they have to buy it from you, I THINK you get to keep it... but is that the same with a trust? the trust may be able to keep them, outside of the state, but...?

Similarly, can a trust acquire any pre 86 NFA weapon, not just C&R like MN requires now, and allow use and possession in MN?

I can see the advantages to a trust for letting others use it, generational transfer, etc.

I also think that personally stamping it can make sense... but I am not a lawyer.
crbutler

Postby LarryP on Sun May 24, 2015 2:35 pm

As a newbie, I thought after the bill was passed we could easily go buy a silencer and use it. Sounds like a lot of B$$$ still needs to be dealt with. Will wait & see if it's even worth it. By the time one is done with everything it will cost 2-3 times more than the gun to use it with! :x
LarryP

Postby LumberZach on Sun May 24, 2015 2:38 pm

crbutler wrote:OK, its kind of an ugly thought, but if they reverse the ban on suppressors, its a ban on transfers.

If you have a personally stamped one, its yours, and unless they put language in that they have to buy it from you, I THINK you get to keep it... but is that the same with a trust? the trust may be able to keep them, outside of the state, but...?

Similarly, can a trust acquire any pre 86 NFA weapon, not just C&R like MN requires now, and allow use and possession in MN?

I can see the advantages to a trust for letting others use it, generational transfer, etc.

I also think that personally stamping it can make sense... but I am not a lawyer.

All MN rules apply in MN weather it is a trust or not.

I have thought about a reversal as well. That's why I want to get a couple suppressors ASAP after the bill is in affect.
LumberZach

Postby xd ED on Sun May 24, 2015 2:44 pm

LarryP wrote:As a newbie, I thought after the bill was passed we could easily go buy a silencer and use it. Sounds like a lot of B$ still needs to be dealt with. Will wait & see if it's even worth it.

MN now has a law similar to the other 39 states that must follow federal regs.

The process has never been a secret.
Minimally, in admin fees there will be $200 tax stamp, more if you establish a trust.
then you spend money on the device. (+/-200 - ???)
Then wait 6 mos, or more.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Hmac on Sun May 24, 2015 2:45 pm

LarryP wrote:As a newbie, I thought after the bill was passed we could easily go buy a silencer and use it. Sounds like a lot of B$$$ still needs to be dealt with. Will wait & see if it's even worth it. By the time one is done with everything it will cost 2-3 times more than the gun to use it with! :x

Yup. You can go to the suppressor store and buy it, but you can't take it home until you pay BATFE $200 transfer tax and they in turn send you a stamp 6-9 months later to prove that you paid. The application process entail getting fingerprints done by a law enforcement agency, a passport photo, a signature of approval from your Sheriff or Chief of Police. When approved by ATF 6 months later, only you, or others in your direct presence, can actually use the NFA device. An alternative to some of that is to buy the suppressor through a trust, but that will cost you anywhere from $99-$500 to have a lawyer create for you. Then you still have to pay the $200 and go through basically the same application process (no fingerprints, no CLEO sign-off).

Yes, it's a hassle.
Hmac

Next

Return to Politics