Nuts and Bolts of suppressors- Q&A

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Nuts and Bolts of suppressors- Q&A

Postby xd ED on Sun May 24, 2015 3:14 pm

If an individual owning a suppressor then creates an NFA trust, would adding the individually owned suppressor to the trust require another FFL transfer/ $200 tax stamp?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby LumberZach on Sun May 24, 2015 5:35 pm

xd ED wrote:If an individual owning a suppressor then creates an NFA trust, would adding the individually owned suppressor to the trust require another FFL transfer/ $200 tax stamp?

Yes it would. The trust essentially is a new "individual" that you are transferring ownership to.
LumberZach

Postby LarryP on Sun May 24, 2015 6:31 pm

No wonder Dayton signed this bill, I don't think many people will jump thru all the hoops to get one.

Hmac wrote:
LarryP wrote:As a newbie, I thought after the bill was passed we could easily go buy a silencer and use it. Sounds like a lot of B$$$ still needs to be dealt with. Will wait & see if it's even worth it. By the time one is done with everything it will cost 2-3 times more than the gun to use it with! :x

Yup. You can go to the suppressor store and buy it, but you can't take it home until you pay BATFE $200 transfer tax and they in turn send you a stamp 6-9 months later to prove that you paid. The application process entail getting fingerprints done by a law enforcement agency, a passport photo, a signature of approval from your Sheriff or Chief of Police. When approved by ATF 6 months later, only you, or others in your direct presence, can actually use the NFA device. An alternative to some of that is to buy the suppressor through a trust, but that will cost you anywhere from $99-$500 to have a lawyer create for you. Then you still have to pay the $200 and go through basically the same application process (no fingerprints, no CLEO sign-off).

Yes, it's a hassle.
LarryP

Postby ferch on Sun May 24, 2015 6:42 pm

Thank you to GOCRA and everyone that helped get this passed! My wife hates you because this is going to be expensive:-) I didn't have much interest in 300BO until now so there's another upper I need to build...

Is there a list of class 3 dealers in mn somewhere?

I'm working on a trust now (probably going through 199trust.com) and plan on getting at least 3 or 4 suppressors (9mm, 223, .30, and maybe 22lr) very soon. Also does anyone know if we can get the batfe application going now (knowing there is a 6+ month wait) or do we have to wait until after July 1st to begin the process?
ferch

Postby goalie on Sun May 24, 2015 7:32 pm

LarryP wrote:No wonder Dayton signed this bill, I don't think many people will jump thru all the hoops to get one.

Hmac wrote:
LarryP wrote:As a newbie, I thought after the bill was passed we could easily go buy a silencer and use it. Sounds like a lot of B$$$ still needs to be dealt with. Will wait & see if it's even worth it. By the time one is done with everything it will cost 2-3 times more than the gun to use it with! :x

Yup. You can go to the suppressor store and buy it, but you can't take it home until you pay BATFE $200 transfer tax and they in turn send you a stamp 6-9 months later to prove that you paid. The application process entail getting fingerprints done by a law enforcement agency, a passport photo, a signature of approval from your Sheriff or Chief of Police. When approved by ATF 6 months later, only you, or others in your direct presence, can actually use the NFA device. An alternative to some of that is to buy the suppressor through a trust, but that will cost you anywhere from $99-$500 to have a lawyer create for you. Then you still have to pay the $200 and go through basically the same application process (no fingerprints, no CLEO sign-off).

Yes, it's a hassle.

Which is why not allowing people willing and able to jump through those hoops to have/use them is ridiculous.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby Ironbear on Mon May 25, 2015 6:34 am

LarryP wrote:No wonder Dayton signed this bill, I don't think many people will jump thru all the hoops to get one.

Nowadays I live in Virginia, where they have been legal to own all along, and it appears, legal to hunt with. I still don't see many of them.

Also I understand you get to ask BATF's permission (or inform them) every time you want to take it across state lines.

I don't see suppressors becoming common until the hurdles go away...
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby farmerj on Mon May 25, 2015 7:10 am

You aren't asking for the sheriff's approval. Just that he is not aware of any reason you should be denied. Basically, similar to him doing a background check. It's the same question that's asked when you apply for your C&R license.

You need to keep you tax stamp with you to transport. You don't need permission every time. That's what the stamp is for.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Hmac on Mon May 25, 2015 7:27 am

I think a LOT of people will jump through those hoops. One reason there's a 6-9 month backlog of NFA applications is that there are so many people applying. It's a hassle, but certainly not insurmountable. You're right though...the process does discourage the whim buyers.
Hmac

Postby LarryP on Mon May 25, 2015 11:53 am

If I understand this correctly, If your sheriff won't sign off for whatever reason, you're screwed?
Only option is to form a trust to buy one?

farmerj wrote:You aren't asking for the sheriff's approval. Just that he is not aware of any reason you should be denied. Basically, similar to him doing a background check. It's the same question that's asked when you apply for your C&R license.

You need to keep you tax stamp with you to transport. You don't need permission every time. That's what the stamp is for.
LarryP

Postby Hmac on Mon May 25, 2015 12:00 pm

LarryP wrote:If I understand this correctly, If your sheriff won't sign off for whatever reason, you're screwed?
Only option is to form a trust to buy one?

Yes. And ATF has already submitted a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking that fingerprints and CLEO sign-off, either for one trustee or all of them, be part of the Trust acquisition of NFA items too.
Hmac

Postby jshuberg on Mon May 25, 2015 12:12 pm

That was quite awhile ago, the proposed date it would go into effect has passed, and nothing happened. The BATFE is on extremely shaky legal ground in this proposal, as they basically presume to redefine trusts as a legal entity in order to justify their logic.

Long story short, BATFE could implement the policy change, but would certainly be sued, and would most likely lose and be required to pay damages to every person they required personal information from without legal justification.

The fact it never happened indicates that much like the M855 ban, they came to the conclusion that it was a losing proposition, and dropped it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby LarryP on Mon May 25, 2015 12:40 pm

Will be interesting to see what CLEO's will sign off, and those that won't.
LarryP

Postby Kelor on Mon May 25, 2015 12:54 pm

This may have been answered already, but if one gets a suppressor here in Minnesota, is he allowed to bring it into Wisconsin?
Kelor

Postby LarryFlew on Mon May 25, 2015 2:07 pm

Since WI allows them yes. That's part of the reason for the $200 stamp - bring it with you.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby jshuberg on Mon May 25, 2015 2:08 pm

The ATF requires prior authorization via form 5320.20 to transport any destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun under across state lines. This requirement is in section 922(a)(4), The ATF does not require this prior authorization for a suppressor.

Some people recommend getting an approved 5320.20 for suppressors as well, since many in law enforcement might not understand the details of NFA law, but personally I don't think that's a good idea. Just carry a copy of the statute with you, and if the extremely unlikely situation happens where law enforcement questions your suppressor registration, you can show them the actual statute.

Just be aware that when you bring a suppressor into another state, you need to comply with that states laws, so doing a little background research first is always a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

PreviousNext

Return to Politics