Nuts and Bolts of suppressors- Q&A

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Nuts and Bolts of suppressors- Q&A

Postby Deputyhiro on Mon May 25, 2015 7:51 pm

I like the idea of an attorney setting up the trust, rather than a cut and paste online deal. Although, the online price is appealing. Would a guy have to go up to Rust's office to do this trust, or could it be done over phone / email?
Can anyone post on experiences of either online or attorney?
It is better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.
Deputyhiro

Postby JK-linux on Mon May 25, 2015 8:27 pm

If you are already spending $200 for a stamp and $300-800 on a can, perhaps more on a threaded barrel, taller sights, springs to cycle soft ammo, etc... why not do it right and spend the ~$200 for a trust that has an attorney of record?
JK-linux

Postby goalie on Tue May 26, 2015 8:03 am

JK-linux wrote:If you are already spending $200 for a stamp and $300-800 on a can, perhaps more on a threaded barrel, taller sights, springs to cycle soft ammo, etc... why not do it right and spend the ~$200 for a trust that has an attorney of record?

Because for some people, a simple trust is "right." Depending on your family situation and needs for a trust, a simple trust that addresses the NFA specific issues is perfectly appropriate.

Not lawyer bashing, but I know a bunch of people who have cut-and-paste trusts for NFA items, but I don't know any that got into legal trouble....
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby Ghost on Tue May 26, 2015 3:09 pm

Deputyhiro wrote:I like the idea of an attorney setting up the trust, rather than a cut and paste online deal. Although, the online price is appealing. Would a guy have to go up to Rust's office to do this trust, or could it be done over phone / email?
Can anyone post on experiences of either online or attorney?

Agreed and would like to see some responses to your questions.
Ghost

Postby Deputyhiro on Tue May 26, 2015 7:28 pm

goalie wrote:Not lawyer bashing, but I know a bunch of people who have cut-and-paste trusts for NFA items, but I don't know any that got into legal trouble....

That's what I'm looking for.
Deputyhiro

Postby goalie on Tue May 26, 2015 8:12 pm

Deputyhiro wrote:
goalie wrote:Not lawyer bashing, but I know a bunch of people who have cut-and-paste trusts for NFA items, but I don't know any that got into legal trouble....

That's what I'm looking for.

I have an extensive trust set up at moderate expense through a lawyer for my "regular" stuff. (Place in HI, money, etc...)

All I need for my NFA items is something that allows my wife to "own and possess" them so there are no legal issues re access to the safe etc.....

If you want a complex, multi-generational trust, there is nothing wrong with that, but you don't need something complex or expensive to be legal.

Heck, any legally created trust>owning as an individual in my opinion, even without the benefits of no CLEO sign off and no fingerprint card.

IANAL, but neither are lots of dudes with "cookie-cutter" trusts that legally own NFA items.
goalie

Postby george on Tue May 26, 2015 8:25 pm

I did this one of course,http://www.199trust.com/#oid=1215_1, as I can tell it covers all I need for a gun trust but I haven't actually filled it out yet, nothing to put on it.
It was e-mailed back with example forms how to fill out the trust and form 1 & 4 & 5320.20 also will need a 5330.20 How to add or remove trusties, beneficiaries, address change,
prohibited persons etc. OH and a phone # I did call. They answered any questions I could think of. As soon as I can get the suppressor I can fill it out and send. I have been thinking
SBR and adding the suppressor but cash says slow down boy!
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby goalie on Tue May 26, 2015 9:48 pm

george wrote:I did this one of course,http://www.199trust.com/#oid=1215_1, as I can tell it covers all I need for a gun trust but I haven't actually filled it out yet, nothing to put on it.
It was e-mailed back with example forms how to fill out the trust and form 1 & 4 & 5320.20 also will need a 5330.20 How to add or remove trusties, beneficiaries, address change,
prohibited persons etc. OH and a phone # I did call. They answered any questions I could think of. As soon as I can get the suppressor I can fill it out and send. I have been thinking
SBR and adding the suppressor but cash says slow down boy!

I know several people, myself included, that have used 199trust.com.

;)
goalie

Postby Ghost on Wed May 27, 2015 5:20 am

$59 for a 199trust http://www.gearhog.com
Ghost

Postby Deputyhiro on Wed May 27, 2015 9:06 am

goalie wrote:All I need for my NFA items is something that allows my wife to "own and possess" them so there are no legal issues re access to the safe etc.....

That is all I need as well. Just hard to wade through all the "what ifs" and scare tactics telling you these trusts wont cover you when you really need it.
Deputyhiro

Postby LarryFlew on Wed May 27, 2015 10:25 am

Ghost wrote:$59 for a 199trust

Should note this is 199trust.com document. You do the $59 payment etc and then do the link they give you which sends you to 199trust where you input the payment voucher number they gave you and fill out the info for the trust (which does allow additional trustees) and the will email the PDF form. On minor glitch I found was trying the link as a link didn't work and I had to cut and paste ti to make it work. Other than that smooth sailing. referral linkhttp://wwwgearhog.com?rf=724952

If you go with Ben's bronze it doesn't allow additional trustees which is why I did not use it. If you do use Ben's web site use IE or Chrome as the site does not work well with Firefox.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby yuppiejr on Wed May 27, 2015 2:12 pm

I did the 199trust thing as well, thanks for the head's-up. Their normal price is actually $79 with a couple add-in options if you want an editable MS Word document ($15) or a laminated 1/4 size copy for your range bag ($21).

I also made my $100 donation to GOCRA (was going to do $50 but I was among the "never going to happen" naysayers so I doubled it) - I assume everyone else who's reading this thread had donated what they could afford to the folks who put in so much work to give us this opportunity, right?

Next stop is Bill's to see how their prices compare to Silencershop.com on the AAC Element 2 for my rimfire pistol/rifles and Silencerco Omega for the centerfire stuff.
yuppiejr

Postby LarryFlew on Wed May 27, 2015 3:02 pm

what to do after your trust comes though:http://johnpierceesq.com/?p=126
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Nuts and Bolts of suppressors- Q&A

Postby whiteox on Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:31 pm

LarryFlew wrote:
Ghost wrote:$59 for a 199trust

Should note this is 199trust.com document. You do the $59 payment etc and then do the link they give you which sends you to 199trust where you input the payment voucher number they gave you and fill out the info for the trust (which does allow additional trustees) and the will email the PDF form. On minor glitch I found was trying the link as a link didn't work and I had to cut and paste ti to make it work. Other than that smooth sailing. referral linkhttp://wwwgearhog.com?rf=724952

If you go with Ben's bronze it doesn't allow additional trustees which is why I did not use it. If you do use Ben's web site use IE or Chrome as the site does not work well with Firefox.

I have revised my offerings and now include the ability to add additional trustees with every trust at no additional cost.
whiteox

Previous

Return to Politics