SF 878 : July 1st or August 1st?

Firearms related political discussion forum

Postby Squib Joe on Thu May 28, 2015 12:54 pm

GOCRA website and others have said July 1st is when they can own a suppressor. The guy that authored the bill told me August 1st. Which is it?
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Re: SF 878 : July 1st or August 1st?

Postby farmerj on Thu May 28, 2015 1:14 pm

Be safe and go Aug 1. I am confused on the dates on most of it as well.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby jshuberg on Thu May 28, 2015 1:19 pm

The original bill was not an appropriations bill, and would have gone into effect 1 Aug. However, the language of the original bill was moved into the omnibus bill, which *was* an appropriations bill.

Appropriations bills go into effect 1 Jul unless otherwise specified at the end of the section. Suppressor legalization had no effective date specified, so goes into effect 1 Jul.

It can get tricky. Hopefully the BATFE is capable of understanding the difference. If not, one of the GOCRA lawyers may have to educate them on MN law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Squib Joe on Thu May 28, 2015 1:27 pm

The most current engrossment ends the section with:

"This section is effective August 1, 2015, and applies to crimes committed on or after that date."

Unless I'm looking at it wrong
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby jshuberg on Thu May 28, 2015 1:51 pm

Section 19 (suppressors) which starts on page 33 and continues halfway through page 34 does not provide an effective date at the end of the section.

I'm not sure which version you're looking at. I'm looking at my hard copy of the conference committee report on SF 878, which is what was passed into law.

NRA Life Member
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby jshuberg on Thu May 28, 2015 2:07 pm

Suppressor legalization (section 19) goes into effect 1 Jul.

Hunting with suppressors (section 3) goes into effect 1Aug.

Capitol notification (section 20) goes into effect 1 Jul.

Long gun purchase (section 24) goes into effect 1 Jul.

Reciprocity (section 32) goes into effect 1 Jul.

Emergency powers (section 34) goes into effect 1Aug.

NRA Life Member
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby RobD on Thu May 28, 2015 2:09 pm

Jeff is right.

The 3rd engrossment does not have an effective date for the section relevant to suppressor possession. (The Hunting penalties do, Aug 1st.)

645.02 states that absent an effective date:

An appropriation act or an act having appropriation items enacted finally at any session of the legislature
takes effect at the beginning of the first day of July next following its final enactment, unless a different
date is specified in the act.
Last edited by RobD on Fri May 29, 2015 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Reloading, RSO)
Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors
RobD

Postby Squib Joe on Thu May 28, 2015 2:18 pm

I'm looking at 3rd engrossment posted yesterday. 33.16 through 36.2

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/text.p ... n_number=0
Squib Joe

Postby jshuberg on Thu May 28, 2015 2:41 pm

You're combining a bunch of individual sections together. The effective date provided on 36.2 is for section 25, which is not one of the 5 "gun bills" that GOCRA sponsored.
EFFECTIVE DATE. This section is effective August 1, 2015, and applies to crimes committed on or after that date.

Note that it states the effective date is for that section, not all of the sections above it.

Suppressor legalization is section 19, and on the 3rd Engrossment starts on 33.16 and ends on 34.2, without an explicit effective date.
Capitol Notification is section 20, and on the 3rd engrossment starts on 34.3 and ends on 34.26 without an explicit effective date.
NRA Life Member
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Hmac on Thu May 28, 2015 3:35 pm

jshuberg wrote:The original bill was not an appropriations bill, and would have gone into effect 1 Aug. However, the language of the original bill was moved into the omnibus bill, which *was* an appropriations bill.

Appropriations bills go into effect 1 Jul unless otherwise specified at the end of the section. Suppressor legalization had no effective date specified, so goes into effect 1 Jul.

It can get tricky. Hopefully the BATFE is capable of understanding the difference. If not, one of the GOCRA lawyers may have to educate them on MN law.

If it was an appropriations bill, why wasn't Dayton able to line-item-veto the suppressor bill?
Hmac

Postby jshuberg on Thu May 28, 2015 3:48 pm

The governor only has the power to line-item-veto the appropriations of money. Any policy within an appropriations bill cannot be line-item-vetoed.
NRA Life Member
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Squib Joe on Thu May 28, 2015 5:48 pm

jshuberg wrote:You're combining a bunch of individual sections together. The effective date provided on 36.2 is for section 25, which is not one of the 5 "gun bills" that GOCRA sponsored.
EFFECTIVE DATE. This section is effective August 1, 2015, and applies to crimes committed on or after that date.

Note that it states the effective date is for that section, not all of the sections above it.

Suppressor legalization is section 19, and on the 3rd Engrossment starts on 33.16 and ends on 34.2, without an explicit effective date.
Capitol Notification is section 20, and on the 3rd engrossment starts on 34.3 and ends on 34.26 without an explicit effective date.

I hope this is the case, but still troubling that so many people are saying it has to be August 1st

It might be a moot point because nobody is going to get a Form 4 acceptance before August 1st, but they *might* get a delay if the ATF and everyone else is reading it that way and see an earlier date on the form
Squib Joe

Postby jshuberg on Thu May 28, 2015 6:17 pm

People are often wrong. If BATFE denies an application because they get the dates wrong, it can be easily corrected with a letter from the Revisor of Statutes clarifying the effective date for them. If anyone experiences this kind of problem, please let GOCRA know.

NRA Life Member
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby george on Thu May 28, 2015 7:04 pm

Perhaps one could get a letter like that, post it on here, I would copy it and include it with the form 4 at the time of application. Or do you think the atf would be on top of things?
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby jshuberg on Thu May 28, 2015 7:21 pm

That's a good idea. I talked to Andrew, he's going to get something in writing from the state concerning the effective date for suppressor legalization.

I like writing that - suppressor legalization. Especially in the past-tense. It is a good thing :)

NRA Life Member
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Next

Return to Politics