Feds may require gun owners to have liability insurance

Firearms related political discussion forum

Postby cobb on Fri May 29, 2015 5:30 pm

“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Re: Feds may require gun owners to have liability insurance

Postby MXGreg on Fri May 29, 2015 6:03 pm

From the top of the article:

Published April 02, 2013
MXGreg

Postby MXGreg on Fri May 29, 2015 6:09 pm

Here's the newest one. Evidently Maloney doesn't give up.

http://thehill.com/regulation/243425-ho ... -insurance

I saw the new proposed regulation, but the link/site was so heavy with advertising it was slow to load. So I went looking for a more friendly link, unfortunately I linked to the 2013 article.
MXGreg

Postby jshuberg on Fri May 29, 2015 7:00 pm

Not going to happen. I'm sure the NRA and other orgs will bang their drum and fundraise off it though...
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby LePetomane on Fri May 29, 2015 7:59 pm

Maybe there will be a subsidy for those who cannot afford it. Just like Obamascare.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby MaryB on Fri May 29, 2015 8:01 pm

No dem bill will even make it out of committee if it involves guns or ammo.
MaryB

Postby jshuberg on Fri May 29, 2015 8:36 pm

Gun control is officially a politically dead issue, at least for the immediate future. I'm sure they'll come back at some point again, but with an ever increasing population of armed law-abiding citizens, I'd say their chances are mighty slim.

Universal registration and increasing the categories that constitute prohibited persons are their only attack angles. Everything they propose in the foreseeable future will be nothing but those two ideas in (poor) disguise. Armed with this knowledge, we will defeat them at every instance. We will reduce their life's work to nothing but an exercise in self torture.
NRA Life Member
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby SparkyJeff on Fri May 29, 2015 10:32 pm

jshuberg wrote:Gun control is officially a politically dead issue, at least for the immediate future. I'm sure they'll come back at some point again, but with an ever increasing population of armed law-abiding citizens, I'd say their chances are mighty slim.

Universal registration and increasing the categories that constitute prohibited persons are their only attack angles. Everything they propose in the foreseeable future will be nothing but those two ideas in (poor) disguise. Armed with this knowledge, we will defeat them at every instance. We will reduce their life's work to nothing but an exercise in self torture.

You are more optimistic than I.
I'm not convinced that gun control will ever be a dead issue.
A fight for liberty somewhere, is a fight for liberty everywhere.
SparkyJeff

Postby jshuberg on Fri May 29, 2015 10:50 pm

There will be zealots in office, but gun control has once again become the third rail of politics. The majority of politicians, even if deep in their darkened souls want to rid us of our arms, won't have the balls to risk being thrown out of office to do it. As long as they know that all their plans for world dominance will shatter if they mess with the American gun owner, we'll be OK.

We still have to be vigilant, and work to stop them at every instance, and it might be hard work, but in the end we will succeed and beat the evil back into into the shadows.

The worst thing we could possibly do would be to become complacent, and rely on the NRA lead the effort for us. If we let that happen, we'll end up with more NFA, GCA, machine gun bans, Brady bills, scary black rifle bans, and other "compromises" that absolutely don't have to be made. They can without question help the cause of gun owners, but history has shown (including very recent history) that they should never be trusted to lead the cause of gun owners. Especially at the local level.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the NRA, I'm a member and instructor, I just recognize what they are. I'm glad they exist, and without them we may not have gotten suppressors through the senate this year. I just don't trust them to do the right thing without someone else holding their feet to the fire. Their interests and the interests of the average gun owner just aren't always in alignment.
NRA Life Member
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Randygmn on Sat May 30, 2015 10:59 am

"Adequate liability coverage would also ensure that the victims of gun violence are fairly compensated when crimes or accidents occur." This piece of garbage is lying through her teeth. There's no insurance in the world that covers criminal actions.
Randygmn

Postby Lumpy on Sat May 30, 2015 1:51 pm

Randygmn wrote:"Adequate liability coverage would also ensure that the victims of gun violence are fairly compensated when crimes or accidents occur."

I read that as "once there's money to be made by suing gun owners, gun ownership will be priced out of existence".
Lumpy

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat May 30, 2015 3:53 pm

Will be dammed if I ever pay insurance for gun ownership. Hell, there are more dog attacks than gun violence. Should all dog owners be required to have dog insurance? Just another moron money making scheme the insurance industry would love to sink there teeth in and rip us off. Bad enough we pay outrageous vehicle insurance. Hell, maybe cops should have some kind of insurance to cover personal injury when they beat the piss out of someone instead of the tax payers paying the bill. This list could go on and on. Bad bill!
Bearcatrp

Postby cobb on Sun May 31, 2015 1:17 pm

Question about liability insurance. Is it not for an unintended action, therefore would not cover a willful act such as a justified self defense shooting?
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby jdege on Sun May 31, 2015 1:23 pm

If the rates were determined based on actual risks by competent actuaries, they'd be vanishingly low.
jdege

Postby bstrawse on Sun May 31, 2015 6:22 pm

jshuberg wrote:Not going to happen. I'm sure the NRA and other orgs will bang their drum and fundraise off it though...

As they should.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Next

Return to Politics