"what could possibly go wrong?"

Firearms related political discussion forum

Postby Citiot on Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:11 am

I was looking at the everytown facebook page https://www.facebook.com/everytownUSA and I found the comments quite interesting in the Texas University Campus carry posting.

Aside from the normal anti gun rhetoric [guns are for the phallically challenged, Texans are stupid, blood in the streets, wild west, etc], there were tons of postings with the words "what could possibly go wrong?" It is almost like some sort of involuntary impulse. Maybe the first time it was said, it was kinda clever, but now it is cliche.

I suppose it is akin to a meme. Just a strange thing I noticed.

Whatever.

So, I decided to see if there are other state university systems that allow campus carry. I have a child starting college this fall and I wanted to see if gun on campus are a real problem. My college experience was typical... pretty much 4 years of working too many hours at my job, horribly complex math problems, girls and beer. (with some memorable youthful shenanigans in the mix).

At first, I thought that when I was 21, I wouldn't be able to handle carrying a gun. But, what I think would have actually happened is that my life philosophy would have changed.... go away from trouble, be very polite, constantly reinforce that a man is in control of his emotions, not the other way around.

When I was with my college bound son touring the U, I was carrying (it's permitted as long as you are not a student or campus employee). At this time, I thought the rules kind of stupid because I realized that a 21 year old non-student, non-work can carry a gun on campus. The criminals without carry permits carry guns on campus. Why in the hell disarm the students and workers?

There are a few states that do allow campus carry, and have for a long time. This site seems rather factual with citations, etc. http://concealedcampus.org/common-arguments/. It appears that guns on campus are not a problem.

So my answer to the anti's shrill hyperbolic "what could possibly go wrong?"....... NOTHING.

Another thing I find strange, we trust 18 year olds with guns, cannon, land mines, etc in the armed services, but we can't trust a 21 year old who happens to be taking classes?

Also, think about it this way, you are 21 and a college student at the U... You carry a gun while shopping around Dinky Town. You get a coffee, maybe some hip hemp clothing or whatever, then you head back to campus to your dorm. Once you cross into the U's campus, do you turn into a crazed mass shooter?

The Citiot
Citiot

Re: "what could possibly go wrong?"

Postby Lumpy on Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:25 am

It's sort of like how birth control pills were originally viewed; if you're "prepared" then you must be a slut.
Lumpy

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:23 am

My daughter carries her 44Special purse gun at Virginia Tech as allowed for Grad students.
But this Summer she is working at Robins Air Force base in Georgia, thus no carry.
OldmanFCSA

Postby PhilaBOR on Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:23 pm

The staff and faculty are mostly hoplophobes. Professors are often quoted saying they are afraid a student will shoot them in a dispute over grades or something similar. Regardless of the experience in the states that allow campus carry. And the fact that if a student decided to shoot a prof, he probably wouldn't worry about any ban.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Re:

Postby MXGreg on Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:43 pm

PhilaBOR wrote:The staff and faculty are mostly hoplophobes. Professors are often quoted saying they are afraid a student will shoot them in a dispute over grades or something similar. Regardless of the experience in the states that allow campus carry. And the fact that if a student decided to shoot a prof, he probably wouldn't worry about any ban.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/06/04/gu ... inflation/

A Texas college professor claims a coming law that would allowing licensed gun owners to carry firearms on campuses will cause grades to shoot up.

In a recent opinion piece published in Newsweek, Jessica Gullion, an assistant professor of sociology at Texas Woman's University, warns that allowing students to pack heat in the classroom could add a scary dimension to those after-class discussions about grades.

"Will we soon see a new sort of grade inflation, with students earning a 4.0 GPA with their firepower rather than brainpower?" Gullion wrote.
MXGreg

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:52 am

Good for the NRA!
The National Rifle Association took aim at Gullion's argument, calling it "divorced from reality and logic." The national trend of states easing restrictions on carrying licensed firearms has not spurred the violence some predicted, according to the NRA, and any student willing to threaten a professor with death or injury is likely not waiting for legislation to pass.

"Indeed, aping the irrational fears, paranoid delusions, or cultural biases of one’s teacher is far more likely to prop up one’s GPA than lawfully and unobtrusively carrying a firearm of which the teacher is unaware," the NRA wrote on its website.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby george on Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:56 am

NO WORRIES, This will keep them safe....after all, it's there idea.
[img]
th-id=OP.jpg
[/img][img]
th-id=Oq.jpg
[/img]
Attachments
th-id=Oq.jpg
th-id=Oq.jpg (2.95 KB) Viewed 2843 times
th-id=OP.jpg
th-id=OP.jpg (2.73 KB) Viewed 2810 times
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby Burleigh on Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:25 am

The better question is what could possibly go right ?

Like saving lives when a crazed shooter attacks innocent students and teachers who heretofore had no legal way to defend themselves are able to return fire.

In MN state colleges can ban students and employees with permits from carrying on campus. The rest of us with carry permits can do so on campus with no repercussions.

What kind of sense does that make. ?
Burleigh

Return to Politics