Press Contacts
Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus
Bryan Strawser, Executive Director, Bryan.Strawser@gunowners.mn
Rob Doar, Political Director, Rob.Doar@gunowners.mn
612-424-4032
# # #

MINNESOTA GUN OWNERS CAUCUS OPPOSES
REP. NORTON'S GUN CONTROL PROPOSALS

SAINT PAUL, MINN. January 28, 2016 – The Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Political Action Committee today announced their opposition to the gun control proposals put forth earlier by Representative Kim Norton (DFL, HD 25B - Rochester, MN).
"Representative Norton has unveiled a gun control bill that will do nothing to achieve its stated purpose of addressing mass shootings in Paris, San Bernardino, and Colorado Springs, " said Bryan Strawser, Executive Director. "In the San Bernardino and Colorado Springs shootings, the shooters passed a background check. Therefore imposing universal background checks as Rep. Norton proposes to do in this bill would do nothing but impose an undue burden on law-abiding gun owners."

"Rep. Norton's proposal is filled with the failed gun control strategies of the past, " added Rob Doar, Political Director. "Waiting periods, mandatory training requirements, and additional storage requirements have all been tried before with no noticeable impact on gun violence. It's unfortunate that Rep. Norton has ignored the real issues with gun violence in Minnesota, including improving access to mental health, dealing with the widespread under sentencing of firearms crimes in the courts, and adding funding to urban police forces where gun violence remains a challenge."

"In the 2013 legislative session, extensive hearings were held in the Minnesota House and Senate on gun control proposals, including proposals similar to what Rep. Norton has outlined in her press release today. Such proposals were soundly rejected by both legislative bodies and helped contribute to a change of control in the Minnesota House in the November 2014 elections, " stated Doar.

"We will oppose this bill strongly in the upcoming legislative session, and will encourage our supporters to address it with their Representatives and Senators," added Strawser.

# # #

About Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus

The Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus is a non-partisan, single-issue Minnesota nonprofit advocacy organization dedicated to the full restoration of firearms freedoms in Minnesota. The Caucus is a IRS recognized 501(c)(4) organization. Learn more at http://gunowners.mn.

About Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee

The Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee (MNGOPAC) is the connected political fund of the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus. MNGOPAC focuses on electing & supporting pro-Second Amendment candidates to state and county offices in Minnesota. Learn more at http://mngopac.org.
Paid for by the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus and not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus
PO Box 131718 - Saint Paul, MN - 55113
(612) 424-4032 - contact@gunowners.mn

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/member ... emid=15263

St. Paul, Minn. – Citing a need to reduce further gun related tragedies and improve public safety, Rep. Kim Norton (DFL-Rochester) today introduced series of policy changes aimed at reducing accidental deaths, suicides and impulse shootings by implementing new safety measures.

“Without safeguards like the ones under this bill, it is only a matter of time before the next accident, injury or death caused by a gun in the wrong hands, and it is simply unacceptable to do nothing,” Norton said. “While President Obama’s executive order was a good step forward, states like Minnesota need to take action to address preventable tragedies.”

A main pillar of Norton’s bill calls for universal background checks to close loopholes in the current system, which allows sales to be made at gun shows by unlicensed dealers or at a coffee shop via web sale without a background check. She noted broad public support for this measure in arguing the bill should move forward.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Re: Rep. Norton's gun control proposals emerge

Postby BigBlue on Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:53 am

The flow of moron runs deep and wide in this one...

Norton unveils bills to toughen gun laws

Norton also wants to extend the waiting period for people buying handguns and semi-automatic military-style assault rifles from seven days to 28 days.

What 7 day waiting period on the purchase of a handgun?
BigBlue

Postby JJ on Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:00 am

BigBlue wrote:

If you do not have a PTC/PTP you can still by a hanggun/"assault weapon" from a dealer. You are subject to a 7 day waiting period (where you basically have to apply for a PTP)
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Ghost on Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:04 am

JJ wrote:
BigBlue wrote:

If you do not have a PTC/PTP you can still by a hanggun/"assault weapon" from a dealer. You are subject to a 7 day waiting period (where you basically have to apply for a PTP)

Have we experienced a rash of killings by people whom waited their 7 days and then killed somebody within 28? Might as well extend it to a 60 year wait.

Money sent to the caucus.
Ghost

Postby BigBlue on Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:45 am

JJ wrote:
BigBlue wrote:

That's not a waiting period. That's a deadline for local police to issue your permit. Characterizing it as a waiting period is wrong.
BigBlue

Postby BigBlue on Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:46 am

Ghost wrote:
JJ wrote:
BigBlue wrote:

Have we experienced a rash of killings by people whom waited their 7 days and then killed somebody within 28? Might as well extend it to a 60 year wait.

Money sent to the caucus.

Don't try to bring logic into a discussion with these folks...
BigBlue

Postby westhope on Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:11 pm

.....That's a deadline for local police to issue your permit. ....

No it is NOT!

Years ago in Steele county when I annually applied for my "Permit To Purchase", after giving the clerk the form, she said to come back in 2 weeks for the permit. I told her, the law says it must be issued within 7 days. She said to take it up with the MN Attorney General!

Also the form she gave me to fill out did not include last page which is the DATED receipt for the applicant. The standard form is from the MN BCA which I knew included the receipt for the customer. Luckily, I had a copy of the full BCA form, including the receipt. After asking to talk to her supervisor, I received my copy of the application receipt.

There is NO penalty for the sheriff or police to not adhere to the law. Seven day period. If they do not issued the permit, what is the applicant to do. Unless the law includes a penalty to the issuing agency or clerk, they have no reason to adhere to the law.

After 7 days, my permit was ready.

Permit To Carry process is much better today in Steele county. New sheriff. Old grouch of a clerk no longer there. Really, the current clerks are much more helpful and pleasant.

The law should read, "If the permit is not issued with the designated period, the applicant shall receive $1,000 plus attorney fees."
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby BigBlue on Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:27 pm

westhope wrote:
.....That's a deadline for local police to issue your permit. ....

No it is NOT!

It is. Regardless of how well the law is followed or whether or not there are teeth to enforce it, it is still a deadline.
BigBlue

Postby BigBlue on Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:44 pm

Text of the bumblehead's bill:

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/text.php?number=HF2415&version=latest&session=89&session_number=0&session_year=2015

This part is rich (part of proposal for eliminating face-to-face purchases by forcing use of FFL):

(3) if the dealer cannot legally deliver the pistol or semiautomatic military-style
assault weapon to the proposed transferee or otherwise chooses not to complete the
transaction, the dealer shall conduct a background check in accordance with federal law
and file a report of transfer to transfer the pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault
weapon back to the original transferor. If the original transferor is prohibited by any state
or federal law from possessing a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon, the
dealer shall transfer the firearm to the chief of police or sheriff within 24 hours;

Doing everything possible to find a way to take the firearm out of circulation, even going as far as to try to keep it from the owner. Isn't there some right that we have the disallows confiscation of property?

Another nice touch is limiting the fee the FFL can charge to $25 and also kindly giving the FFL freedom to decline the transaction. All sounds great until you realize that 5 or 10 years from now $25 may not be worthwhile to an FFL to do the work and suddenly there will be no mechanism left for two law-abiding citizens to transfer a gun between them. Though these people are idiots in many ways they do have a long-term plan going.
BigBlue

Postby Lumpy on Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:25 pm

BigBlue wrote:Isn't there some right that we have the disallows confiscation of property?

Not since they came up with the doctrine of property committing crimes. :evil:
Lumpy

Postby EAJuggalo on Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:13 am

BigBlue wrote:
JJ wrote:
BigBlue wrote:

That's not a waiting period. That's a deadline for local police to issue your permit. Characterizing it as a waiting period is wrong.

MN has a waiting period of 5 business days, see statute 624.7132. Now I don't think I've ever heard of a shop going this route rather than requiring a PTC/PTP but it is available under state law.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby Randygmn on Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:47 am

Anyone want to chime in on Section 5, B, 3 ii ?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it says that you are guilty of a FELONY if you transfer a pistol or "military style assault weapon" (God, I hate these people) and the transferee uses the weapon within one year after the transfer in furtherance of a felony crime of violence. Am I missing something, Bryan?

So, I guess I am now my strangers keeper?
Randygmn

Postby Jackpine Savage on Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:17 am

Has there been any connection made between her and Bloomberg?
Jackpine Savage

Postby Lumpy on Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:48 am

Randygmn wrote:Anyone want to chime in on Section 5, B, 3 ii ?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it says that you are guilty of a FELONY if you transfer a pistol or "military style assault weapon" (God, I hate these people) and the transferee uses the weapon within one year after the transfer in furtherance of a felony crime of violence. Am I missing something, Bryan?

Or have precognitive ESP.
Lumpy

Postby bstrawse on Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:53 pm

Randygmn wrote:Anyone want to chime in on Section 5, B, 3 ii ?

Correct.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Next

Return to Politics