Justice Scalia has died

Firearms related political discussion forum

Justice Scalia has died

Postby BBeckwith on Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:48 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/13/politics/ ... index.html

This is going to flip the court and shake up the Presidential election.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

Re: Justice Scalia has died

Postby LePetomane on Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:57 pm

This is a gift to Barack Hussein Obama as he now has another appointment. My guess is Eric Holder.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Justice Scalia has died

Postby BBeckwith on Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:58 pm

The Senate will coming to grinding halt before that is allowed to come to a vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

Postby george on Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:11 pm

^^^^^It better, I can't imagine that someone who won't follow the law having that kind of power.
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Re:

Postby LePetomane on Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:22 pm

george wrote:^^^^^It better, I can't imagine that someone who won't follow the law having that kind of power.

Look at the current occupant of the oval office.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby LarryP on Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:40 pm

This will change everything. I'm sure obama will appoint a new judge. No better time to advance his agenda. The court will be very liberal now, even more than before :cry:
LarryP

Postby Lumpy on Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:16 pm

Can Heller and McDonald be flatly disavowed by a new majority that says "the previous court got it wrong"?
Lumpy

Postby Jackpine Savage on Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:09 pm

Lumpy wrote:Can Heller and McDonald be flatly disavowed by a new majority that says "the previous court got it wrong"?

I am far from a lawyer but hopefully they will honor Stare decisis, and respect precedent, but ultimately, the majority rules.

A toast to Justice Scalia, thank you Sir for what you accomplished and fought for. I think I'll have another.
Jackpine Savage

Postby 2in2out on Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:13 pm

That's a bummer. Is it the Senate that approves appointments like this or both houses?

A week or two ago, someone on the inter webs was floating the idea that if the Clintons were elected, the next Supreme Justice would be a former law professor from Illinois.... :stirthepot:
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby 45Badger on Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:44 am

Ginsburg is gonna retire someday soon.....
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby LePetomane on Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:11 am

45Badger wrote:Ginsburg is gonna retire someday soon.....

That may be true but she has stated that she will retire when a dem president can pick her successor. Chairman Obama is salivating at present. He is sitting in the war room with Axlerod, Ayers, Gates, etc trying to find a radical to appoint. This is an unexpected gift as he leaves the White House.
LePetomane

Postby xd ED on Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:07 am

Twice this morning, I've heard the name Amy Klobuchar kicked around as a nominee.
The Senate has the numbers to do the right thing; whether they possess the spine is another matter.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby harryset on Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:25 am

Should Shrillary win the election, speculation has it that Obama's name would be thrown into the judicial ring.
stercus accidit
It's not the LAWS you necessarily have to worry about, it's how the laws are regulated.

Send Me
harryset

Postby JK-linux on Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:38 am

RIP Hon. Scalia. God-speed.

I'll add that due to the passing of Hon. Scalia, I decided to pay the $200 to upgrade my NRA membership from Life to Endowment. I always give some money during election years anyhow, so why not get a new make-believe level of prestige to go with it? I told them they could keep the backpack.

Re: replacement SCOTUS judges. From a conservative political strategy perspective, the best outcome is to confirm someone Obama nominates while the Republicans have majorities and have the guaranteed power to negotiate in some manner. They can bargain with Obama over his legacy, and he can bargain back as being "the best deal you'll get for a loooong time". If Hillary is elected the nominee would likely be less favorable to Republican sensibilities to say the least. It's always possible the Republicans could lose the House or Senate, or both, and would they have no power to stop Hillary or have anything to bargain with. The Hillary-Republican relationship is toxic on a good day and I doubt either party would want to go in on day one with that SCOTUS fight setting the tone to even more toxic.
JK-linux

Postby LePetomane on Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:42 am

I am predicting two things. You heard it here.

1. BHO will appoint a Muslim. It will be a perfect opportunity for him to once again rub our noses in the fact that we do not understand that Islam is the
religion of peace. He loves doing this.
2. Ruth Bader Ginsburg will retire before BHO's term is finished so that there will not be a remote chance of a Republican appointing her successor.`
Last edited by LePetomane on Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LePetomane

Next

Return to Politics