Obama Calls for Assault Weapons Ban, New 'No Fly, No Buy' La

Firearms related political discussion forum

Obama Calls for Assault Weapons Ban, New 'No Fly, No Buy' La

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:57 pm

Bearcatrp

Re: Obama Calls for Assault Weapons Ban, New 'No Fly, No Buy' La

Postby LePetomane on Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:02 pm

Was Omar Mateen on a "no fly" list?
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Ghost on Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:14 pm

LePetomane wrote:Was Omar Mateen on a "no fly" list?

Irrelevant. Obama has spoken, make it so.
Ghost

Postby Snakeman721 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:25 pm

I bought 2 cases of 5.56 from Natchez on Saturday. After the FL jihad and the POS POTUS address today, I decided to buy 3 more cases...prices went up $20/case. Get em while you can as I see on Gunbroker that AR rifle prices have already doubled. Here it comes....again. :angryvillagers:
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:09 pm

Was on the hunt for hornady 168 A-Max. Near impossible to find. Glad i ordered before Obamanuts spoke. Prices are going to spike from now on. :gun:
Bearcatrp

Postby Ghost on Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:23 pm

More Pmags on the way. Good on ammo, don't want to bury another container. ;)

I even found a federal bulk pack of 22lr for sale on Saturday :D
Ghost

Postby harryset on Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:49 pm

See! Here they go again. Marteen wasn't bad enough to warrant locking him up, or removing his ability to purchase a firearm because it would violate his rights of due process. HOWEVER; they can put you on something like the no-fly listing with no notice, or apparent reason. . . :tantrum:
harryset

Postby linksep on Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:13 pm

I bought 1 gun last week...
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby Squib Joe on Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:14 am

Make sure you put "lots of clips in your Glock" :|

"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Ghost on Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:26 am

Squib Joe wrote:Make sure you put "lots of clips in your Glock" :|

Lol

So the guy was cleared by the FBI and legally purchased guns and went through background checks but somehow he should have been on a no fly list? Somehow a better background check would have prohibited somebody who hadn't done anything wrong from buying something they could legally buy???

This just reeks of "oh we f'd up, how do we spin this?" The guy was nuts (all killers are IMO) and hell bent on killing defenseless people, there's nothing that would stop him although some prepared people could have shortened his spree. To what extent shorter, I don't know but armed resistance generally ends these things very quick.
Ghost

Postby igofast on Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:20 pm

Ghost wrote:So the guy was cleared by the FBI and legally purchased guns and went through background checks but somehow he should have been on a no fly list? Somehow a better background check would have prohibited somebody who hadn't done anything wrong from buying something they could legally buy???

It's worse than that, he was a security guard which is subject to even more scrutiny including psychological analysis.

<sarcasm>But, no, I'm sure it will work if the government is involved... :roll:
igofast

Postby 2in2out on Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:48 am

E-mail blast from GOCRA and NRA-ILA this morning that the Senate is actually considering legislation based on the Florida nightclub attack. They are asking everyone to e-mail and call Klobuchar, Franken and your US Representative (Walz, in my case).

Maybe everyone on this forum got those e-mails, but I thought I would pass it on in case someone didn't.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby CROSBYK2 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:12 am

Here is a note I sent to my rep,

Erick,

So I see that you folks are playing with the gun control issue again and the news media are indicating that there is talk of compromise between you and the democrats. Let me be clear, I don't want you compromising with them and I don't want anymore worthless gun control bills being considered that only effect my rights and do nothing to stop the radical Islamic terrorists. Consider the fact that terrorists will always be able to obtain guns to perpetrate their crimes so the only outcome from the laws that are being proposed is that the constitution will be further trashed and the people will have further restrictions on there ability to defend themselves. What is it about you legislators that don't understand the sentence in the second amendment that states "shall not be infringed"?
STOP FOOLING AROUND WITH THE GUN LAWS!!!!!!!!!!
CROSBYK2

Postby steve4102 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:33 am

2in2out wrote:E-mail blast from GOCRA and NRA-ILA this morning that the Senate is actually considering legislation based on the Florida nightclub attack. They are asking everyone to e-mail and call Klobuchar, Franken and your US Representative (Walz, in my case).

Maybe everyone on this forum got those e-mails, but I thought I would pass it on in case someone didn't.

Yes, the Senate is considering No-Fly legislation, but it is not what you may think.

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/06/14/m ... h-the-fbi/

Under Republican legislation sponsored by Senator John Cornyn, the federal government may delay the sale of a firearm to someone on the watch list for up to 72 hours. During that time, if the government can show a judge there’s “probable cause”–the same legal standard used to obtain a search warrant–that the individual is plotting terrorism, then the gun sale is denied outright. The measure received 55 votes in the Senate. It it secured the backing of staunch conservatives like Ted Cruz, Mike Lee, and Marco Rubio as well as moderate Republicans Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski and moderate Democrats Joe Manchin and Joe Donnelly. The only Republican to oppose it was Mark Kirk.

Here is the NRA's official response and position.

Fairfax, Va.— The executive director of the National Rifle Association's Institute for Legislative Action, Chris W. Cox, released the following statement regarding terror watchlists:

We are happy to meet with Donald Trump. The NRA's position on this issue has not changed. The NRA believes that terrorists should not be allowed to purchase or possess firearms, period. Anyone on a terror watchlist who tries to buy a gun should be thoroughly investigated by the FBI and the sale delayed while the investigation is ongoing. If an investigation uncovers evidence of terrorist activity or involvement, the government should be allowed to immediately go to court, block the sale, and arrest the terrorist. At the same time, due process protections should be put in place that allow law-abiding Americans who are wrongly put on a watchlist to be removed. That has been the position of Sen. John Cornyn (R.-Tex.) and a majority of the U.S. Senate. Sadly, President Obama and his allies would prefer to play politics with this issue.

Note both the NRA and Senator Cornyn's positions are almost identical.

This isn't a new position by the NRA. This is the same legislation the NRA and Republicans supported that was rejected by the Democrats.
The way it works is if you are on the watchlist and attempt to buy a firearm, you are delayed.
The government is notified and has to get a court order to block the sale. So Americans get due process and terrorists can't use a NICS check to see if the FBI is on to them.

As a political move, it is smart as the Democrats already rejected this once. Now that Trump has drawn all this attention to it, they either have to accept the NRA position or try and explain why they are rejecting an offer to block people on the terrorist watchlist from buying guns.
steve4102

Postby Ghost on Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:52 am

Ok and how would have this new legislation stopped this guy if it had been enacted 2 years ago?
Ghost

Next

Return to Politics