Are we heading towards a showdown?

Firearms related political discussion forum

Are we heading towards a showdown?

Postby Lumpy on Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:50 pm

It seems to me that we're coming close to a breaking point. The mushy middle that has been the de facto compromise between pro- and anti- gun proponents is no longer tolerable to either side (although the antis will try to recruit as many Fudds and "reasonable gun laws" people as possible). Short of the Supreme Court declaring guns a states issue and the country being divided into pro and anti enclaves by state, something has to give. Are we approaching a final battle where one side will completely win and the other side completely lose? Or could a SC ruling OK some restrictions on guns but set a bedrock floor against any further restrictions?
Lumpy

Re: Are we heading towards a showdown?

Postby MJY65 on Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:35 pm

Possibly, if the antis are foolish enough to push for immediate enforcement. Door kicking and confiscation would lead to confrontation, but if they just continue to make more things difficult to buy, permits, etc., the next generation will know nothing different and may even agree with it. Our generation will be gone and no one will oppose them.
MJY65

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:53 pm

Our RTBK will disappear when liberals, both democrat and republican, no longer fear losing elections over it.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby MJY65 on Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:15 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Our RTBK will disappear when liberals, both democrat and republican, no longer fear losing elections over it.

I agree. The last of us Gen X and Baby Boomers will be gone in 20-30 years, and very few Millenials care enough about the issue to make it a determining factor in their vote.
MJY65

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:33 pm

I thought it already started. There seems to be more anti's lately. Especially when our government lets this happen to justify confiscation. All they need is a major incident to happen to make that justification. Not going to be pretty but for now its peaceful.
Bearcatrp

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:06 pm

The Pro Gun 2nd Amendment crowd has ZERO propaganda and next to ZERO plan to propagate the message. The only thing the mushy middle knows is what they are hit in the face with every time they turn around - News reports, anti gun messages in their favorite entertainment etc. The Left has always been better at selling their story and getting people to sign onto their side. People will always vote their self interest - if they don't know that it is in their self interest to resist Gun Control, they will go along with whatever "common sense" plan the media and other sources tell them to go along with.

As the population ages and becomes more and more disconnected with the Land and Traditions aligned with a Rural/Agrarian way of life, the hobbies and the tools of those hobbies will be seen as less and less important. I don't think the Liberals will have to wait until we all pass away, they will be able to mobilize the mushy middle to go along with the agenda - incrementally but not necessarily over the course of decades.

I wish it weren't true, but there just aren't enough people passionate enough to hold them back, especially when I don't see anything on the horizon that will provide a mass media message and a campaign strategy to defeat what is a very calculated and determined strategy to severely limit if not eliminate the 2nd Amendment.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Hmac on Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:15 pm

Lumpy wrote:Are we heading towards a showdown?.

No, not likely. The majority rules in America. The minority will complain, and try to become the majority again, but in the meantime they'll go along
Hmac

Postby bstrawse on Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:25 pm

yukonjasper wrote:The Pro Gun 2nd Amendment crowd has ZERO propaganda and next to ZERO plan to propagate the message. The only thing the mushy middle knows is what they are hit in the face with every time they turn around - News reports, anti gun messages in their favorite entertainment etc. The Left has always been better at selling their story and getting people to sign onto their side. People will always vote their self interest - if they don't know that it is in their self interest to resist Gun Control, they will go along with whatever "common sense" plan the media and other sources tell them to go along with.

As the population ages and becomes more and more disconnected with the Land and Traditions aligned with a Rural/Agrarian way of life, the hobbies and the tools of those hobbies will be seen as less and less important. I don't think the Liberals will have to wait until we all pass away, they will be able to mobilize the mushy middle to go along with the agenda - incrementally but not necessarily over the course of decades.

I wish it weren't true, but there just aren't enough people passionate enough to hold them back, especially when I don't see anything on the horizon that will provide a mass media message and a campaign strategy to defeat what is a very calculated and determined strategy to severely limit if not eliminate the 2nd Amendment.

I disagree. Come get involved with us. http://gunowners.mn/volunteer

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby photogpat on Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:16 am

yukonjasper wrote:The Pro Gun 2nd Amendment crowd has ZERO propaganda and next to ZERO plan to propagate the message. The only thing the mushy middle knows is what they are hit in the face with every time they turn around - News reports, anti gun messages in their favorite entertainment etc. The Left has always been better at selling their story and getting people to sign onto their side. People will always vote their self interest - if they don't know that it is in their self interest to resist Gun Control, they will go along with whatever "common sense" plan the media and other sources tell them to go along with.

Also disagree. I was moderately anti-gun (call it a Fudd if you will) in my teens and 20's during the height of the anti-gun resurgence. I've gone completely the other way and have seen gun control for what it actually is -- CONTROL.

I think you'll see Millennials picking up firearms and shooting sports in good numbers - provided we continue to give them opportunity and economically feasible ways to do so.

Like Bryan said above - GET INVOLVED. ;)
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby MJY65 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:07 am

photogpat wrote:I think you'll see Millennials picking up firearms and shooting sports in good numbers - provided we continue to give them opportunity and economically feasible ways to do so.

That's a huge part of the problem. As a teen, I was able to go out and plink, shoot cans, shoot targets informally basically whenever I wanted to. Vacant state land, gravel pits, etc. None of them were posted and no one panicked and called the cops. Those opportunities are exceedingly rare these days. Yes, formal ranges and leagues exist, but the available times and settings are far more limited.
MJY65

Return to Politics