Scott Adams - Why gun control can't be solved in the USA

Firearms related political discussion forum

Postby jdege on Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:36 pm

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/146307088451/why-gun-control-cant-be-solved-in-the-usa

Why gun control can't be solved in the USA

So it seems to me that gun control can’t be solved because Democrats are using guns to kill each other – and want it to stop – whereas Republicans are using guns to defend against Democrats. Psychologically, those are different risk profiles. And you can’t reconcile those interests, except on the margins. For example, both sides might agree that rocket launchers are a step too far. But Democrats are unlikely to talk Republicans out of gun ownership because it comes off as “Put down your gun so I can shoot you.”
jdege

Re: Scott Adams - Why gun control can't be solved in the USA

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:38 pm

I think that is generally a good observation. However, I believe that people will prioritize their self interest and I think it's possible to convince people to subordinate any number of self interests if the large more important ones are being taken care of. Bribes work.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:53 pm

The paragraph which jumped out at me.

I endorsed Clinton for president for my personal safety. I write about Trump’s powers of persuasion and it is not safe to live in California if people think you support Trump in any way. Also, I’m rich, so I don’t want anything to change in this country. The rest of you might have a different risk profile.

Pretty much sums up everything wrong with this country right there.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby dismal on Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:04 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:The paragraph which jumped out at me.

I endorsed Clinton for president for my personal safety. I write about Trump’s powers of persuasion and it is not safe to live in California if people think you support Trump in any way. Also, I’m rich, so I don’t want anything to change in this country. The rest of you might have a different risk profile.

Pretty much sums up everything wrong with this country right there.

I'm detecting quite a bit of sarcasm from him, along with a fear for his personal safety. It can't be easy being conserative in southern CA.
dismal

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:25 pm

Do we know that he is conservative? It could be that the entire piece is designed to be satirical.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:42 pm

If it's satire, it blew right past me.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Ironbear on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:53 pm

Besides being the Dilbert creator, Scott Adams is a trained hypnotist. He has stated that he is very interested in the art of persuasion and has been blogging about Trump and his skills as a "Master Persuader". His "support" of Hillary was carefully put in terms of "fear" of anti-Trump protesters. If you had been following his blog, it appeared to be an effort to demo a persuasion technique, by purporting " support" one way but "fear mongering ” the opposite!

The "gun control" post seems to be a serious comment on why either side can't persuade the other, while along with the "Hillary support” post, is stated in a controversial enough manner to persuade people to talk about him and his blog. The internet loves to be outraged...
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Lumpy on Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:41 am

OK, so to be fair how do you address people with a different "risk profile"- say, people living in neighborhoods where random bullets are a serious threat?
Lumpy

Postby jdege on Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:14 pm

Lumpy wrote:OK, so to be fair how do you address people with a different "risk profile"- say, people living in neighborhoods where random bullets are a serious threat?

The only effective solution is to put the shooters behind bars. Unfortunately, that's politically impossible.
jdege

Postby Lumpy on Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:46 pm

jdege wrote:
Lumpy wrote:OK, so to be fair how do you address people with a different "risk profile"- say, people living in neighborhoods where random bullets are a serious threat?

The only effective solution is to put the shooters behind bars. Unfortunately, that's politically impossible.

So of course lawfully owned guns are made the scapegoat for fifty years of failed urban policy. :x
Lumpy

Postby jdege on Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:08 am

For those who weren't sure if Adams was being satirical:

The Humiliation of the American Male in 2016

Many of you can’t talk about this topic without being accused of sexism, losing your jobs, and being cast out of your social groups. But I can talk about it because I endorse Hillary Clinton for president. I did that for my personal safety, because I live in California, but still, I’m on the progressive side now. That gives me some extra freedom of speech.
jdege

Postby 2in2out on Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:54 pm

"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby Ironbear on Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:22 am

More on the subject.
http://blog.dilbert.com/post/147247313346/when-persuasion-turns-deadly
Some of you watched with amusement as I endorsed Hillary Clinton for my personal safety. What you might not know is that I was completely serious. I was getting a lot of direct and indirect death threats for writing about Trump’s powers of persuasion, and I made all of that go away by endorsing Clinton. People don’t care why I am on their side. They only care that I am.

The backdrop to all of this racial tension is that Trump was winning the persuasion war by making citizens afraid of external threats from illegal immigrants and terrorists. That was a strong formula because people respond to fear.

But Clinton’s team – including social media and the liberal-leaning mainstream media – responded by defining Trump as a literal Hitler. A Hitler-like leader in your own country is even scarier than external threats. Persuasion-wise, it is a winning formula for Team Clinton, even though the case is built on confirmation bias, not fact
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby LePetomane on Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:31 am

yukonjasper wrote:Do we know that he is conservative? It could be that the entire piece is designed to be satirical.

We don't. The fact that the guy admits to being wealthy leads many to stereotype him as being conservative.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Norsesmithy on Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:48 pm

jdege wrote:

While incarceration and greater law enforcement can help treat the symptom of our national disease (that symptom being gun violence), what no one talks about is going after the actual core of the problem.

Which is, of course, WHY do so many Americans feel the need to do violence.

And the answer is despair. Why do young thugs play gang games? Because they "know" that playing "our game", you know, going to school, working etc, isn't going to get them anywhere, because unless they can step off the street to $45,000/year ($10,000 more than national median single earner income), they are going to have less money in their pocket, at the end of the day, than if they just milk the welfare system, never mind milking the welfare system and dealing drugs.

Why do College Age males go on spree killings? Because the average grad is getting into $40k/year jobs 60k in debt, with limited prospect of being able to afford an average new car ($35,000)or an average starter house ($150,000) on top of their loans, in any reasonable amount of time. Meanwhile the rich get richer.

And what does the government say the future holds? Doom and Gloom, Ecological Disaster, Perpetual War, National indebtedness, etc.

Meanwhile the media has turned in to a 24/7 fear emporium (after all, that's what sells), and going to the doctor is as likely as not to earn you a prescription for something with side effects of Aberrant Thoughts, Increase in Depression, Suicidal thoughts, and reduction in empathy.

Enforcement works great for regular violent crime, but if we want to tackle the problems that create the culture of mass shooting, we need to give people hope. We need to double down on the American Dream.
Norsesmithy

Next

Return to Politics