News from "Mr Pothead" - aka: Al Franken

Firearms related political discussion forum

News from "Mr Pothead" - aka: Al Franken

Postby minnesotatv on Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:58 am

Al Franken
North Star Newsletter
Reducing Gun Violence and Protecting Americans

In Orlando, 49 innocent lives were barbarically taken from families who now have to face the reality of life without a loved one. They were murdered by a terrorist with hate in his heart and an assault rifle in his hands simply because they were at an LGBT club.

I believe it is incumbent upon all of us, but most especially lawmakers, to take action to reduce gun violence. And an overwhelming majority of Americans want Congress to pass meaningful, commonsense reforms, such as stopping people on the terror watchlist from purchasing guns and expanding background checks. Recently, I joined my colleagues in a rare filibuster on the Senate floor to demand real legislative action. And although we secured a vote, Republicans again rejected these basic reforms.

In the House of Representatives, Speaker Paul Ryan has refused to even bring these measures to a vote. In response, Congressman John Lewis—a hero of the Civil Rights movement—led members of the House in a historic sit-in demanding action. I was proud to join Congressman Lewis and my other colleagues to show that we’ve had enough.

The families of victims and the American people have had enough as well. It’s time for real action to crack down on gun violence—I'm going to continue doing everything in my power to get these measures passed into law.
minnesotatv

Re: News from "Mr Pothead" - aka: Al Franken

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:10 pm

I support the Second Amendment but........
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby MJY65 on Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:22 pm

Gun owners need to STOP VOTING FOR DEMOCRATS!
MJY65

Postby Ghost on Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:38 pm

MJY65 wrote:Gun owners need to STOP VOTING FOR DEMOCRATS!

+infinity
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:58 pm

Fat chance. How can you be against "Common sense" gun control? The way they sell it makes them believe it is in their best interest. They only want the scary black rifles, that "makes sense ", they only want high capacity magazines "that makes sense"......on it goes.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby jdege on Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:59 pm

minnesotatv wrote:although we secured a vote, Republicans again rejected these basic reforms.

The Republicans offered a bill that was essentially identical to the Democrats' bill, except that it provided minimal due process protections. The dems voted it down.

All that we can conclude from that is that the dems care more about blocking gun sales without due process than they do about keeping guns it of the hands of terrorists.
jdege

Postby MJY65 on Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:07 pm

jdege wrote:All that we can conclude from that is that the dems care more about blocking gun sales without due process than they do about keeping guns it of the hands of terrorists.

I think they care more about keeping it a smoldering issue indefinitely to rally their base as needed.
MJY65

Postby Lumpy on Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:27 pm

An Atlas Shrugged quote that seems fitting:
and it wasn’t too clear, but nobody asked any questions. None of us knew just how the plan would work, but every one of us thought that the next fellow knew it. And if anybody had doubts, he felt guilty and kept his mouth shut – because they made it sound like anyone who’d oppose the plan was a child-killer at heart and less than a human being. They told us that this plan would achieve a noble ideal. Well, how were we to know otherwise? Hadn’t we heard it all our lives – from our parents and our schoolteachers and our ministers, and in every newspaper we ever read and every movie and every public speech? Hadn’t we always been told that this was righteous and just? Well, maybe there’s some excuse for what we did at that meeting. Still, we voted for the plan – and what we got, we had it coming to us.
Lumpy

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:33 pm

What do you expect from a guy who made his living wearing a diaper?
Holland&Holland

Postby Hmac on Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:37 pm

For most people gun rights are only one of many issues. No one party and no one candidate encompasses all of the important societal views that different people hold. We each are forced to apply some level compromise one some issues when we step into the voting booth. Some, maybe many, Democrat gun owners will have to vote for Democrats depending on where their priorities lie.
Hmac

Postby MJY65 on Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:41 pm

Hmac wrote:

For most people gun rights are only one of many issues. No one party and no one candidate encompasses all of the important societal views that different people hold. We each are forced to apply some level compromise one some issues when we step into the voting booth. Some, maybe many, Democrat gun owners will have to vote for Democrats depending on where their priorities lie.

I agree that the Republican stance on many social issues is stupid, but the ramifications are far different. Nobody is seriously discussing actually outlawing abortion. The discussion at this point is centered around who is going to pay for them. Similarly, I haven't heard of many gay couples being arrested lately. No, we are talking about extending benefits.

In the case of gun control, they most certainly ARE talking about banning legal items, charging people with felonies for possession, etc.
MJY65

Postby Hmac on Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:54 pm

MJY65 wrote:
Hmac wrote:

I agree that the Republican stance on many social issues is stupid, but the ramifications are far different. Nobody is seriously discussing actually outlawing abortion. The discussion at this point is centered around who is going to pay for them. Similarly, I haven't heard of many gay couples being arrested lately. No, we are talking about extending benefits.

In the case of gun control, they most certainly ARE talking about banning legal items, charging people with felonies for possession, etc.

Your response has absolutely no relationship to anything I said.
Hmac

Postby MJY65 on Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:58 am

Hmac wrote:Your response has absolutely no relationship to anything I said.

My apologies. You wrote "societal" and I read "social".
MJY65

Postby LePetomane on Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:51 am

jdege wrote:All that we can conclude from that is that the dems care more about blocking gun sales without due process than they do about keeping guns it of the hands of terrorists.

They don't care about keeping guns out of the hands of street thugs in Baltimore/DC, Ferguson, New Orleans, Detroit or south Chicago either.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Hmac on Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:06 am

Of course they care. They just don't know how to do it without infringing on people's constitutional rights.
Hmac

Next

Return to Politics