TN ended gun free zones

Firearms related political discussion forum

TN ended gun free zones

Postby jdege on Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:48 pm

http://share.tn.gov/sos/acts/109/pub/pc0947.pdf

PUBLIC CHAPTER NO. 947

AN ACT to amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13, relative to liability for
firearm exclusion in certain locations.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:
SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13, is amended by adding the following as a new section:

(a) A person, business, or other entity that owns, controls, or manages property and has the authority to prohibit weapons on that property by posting, pursuant to § 39-17-1359, shall be immune from civil liability with respect to any claim based on such person's, business's, or other entity's failure to adopt a policy that prohibits weapons on the property by posting pursuant to § 39-17-1359.

(b) Immunity under this subsection (a) does not apply to a person, business, or other entity whose conduct or failure to act is the result of gross negligence or willful or wanton misconduct.

SECTION 2. This act shall take effect July 1, 2016, the public welfare requiring it.

We desperately need this in Minnesota.
jdege

Re: TN ended gun free zones

Postby ex-LT on Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:06 am

Technically, they haven't ended gun free zones, they've just placed the burden on safeguarding customers/patrons of businesses that ban guns on the business owner, and made them liable for any damages/injuries that may be incurred as a result. However, given the litigious nature of our society these days, I predict this law will be challenged. Whether it gets overturned by the TN supreme court? Who knows. I'm calling it a toss-up.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby xd ED on Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:42 pm

Seems to me there's at least 2 things bad with this:

It attempts to place liability on a property owner for something a criminal does.

It's more than a bit of intruding on private property rights and free association.

I wonder:
Does it apply to .gov buildings, and schools, as well?

How about places where carry is banned by law? Is the .gov then responsible? (The Orlando attack comes to mind as a possible example.)
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Nougat on Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:58 pm

Probably going to have to register some of my guns as "assault weapons"

what happened in California? found this on another site. figured this threads about a different state so close enough?
Nougat

Return to Politics