Hotels and Guns

Firearms related political discussion forum

Hotels and Guns

Postby Pat on Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:21 pm

Time to drag this old chestnut up again.

I am waiting for my new condo to be finished, and am staying in a hotel in the Twin Cities. The cleaning staff saw a gun cases in my closet and reported me to the manager. Although the building is absolutely not posted, the manager said that I had to remove my firearms from the room or I would be ejected from the hotel.

To anyone's knowledge, has there been any other instance as mine? Also I'm wondering if this sort of thing has ever gone to court. I am in the position of suing these people should my rights have truly been violated.
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Re: Hotels and Guns

Postby onebohemian on Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:47 pm

Google search found this: Minn. Stat. § 327.73, subd. 2(a)(3). I don't know whether there is more out there on the subject or not. Place to start your further research though. Good luck.
Mark

"Edited to remove prohibited content."(2009).

"It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it." (In honor of 'Goalie,' 2013).
onebohemian

Postby Pat on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:44 pm

Doesn't this fly in the face of the landlord/tenant provision of the protection act of 2003? I
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby onebohemian on Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:28 pm

Looks like the topic came up tangentially in a thread called "Private campground" from back in 2008. See Rothman's comment therein, toward the thread's end.

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=3591&p=37691&hilit=+Private+campground+#p37691

That was a long time ago, though, so whether any cases or other newer analysis exists remains to be seen.
Mark

"Edited to remove prohibited content."(2009).

"It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it." (In honor of 'Goalie,' 2013).
onebohemian

Postby Lumpy on Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:29 pm

As I understand it, the legal difference between a hotel and an apartment is that in the latter you have a lease, which grants you rights as a resident. As a business a hotel can either post, or notify you in person that guns are not allowed on the premises.
Lumpy

Return to Politics