Firearms related political discussion forum

Is it Time to Stock Up?

Postby ranger on Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:16 pm

NRA Life Member
US Army Retired
ranger

Re: Is it Time to Stock Up?

Postby Lumpy on Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:51 pm

I hadn't thought of that; if Hillary wins scary black rifles and ammo of any sort will disappear from the shelves.

Do the ammunition makers have standing contracts with their distributers to honor, or will ammo go straight out to the factory parking lot? ;)
Lumpy

Postby linksep on Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:59 pm

10 to 20 magazines per gun? I think that's excessive. I like magazine-loaders, heck of a lot cheaper than 10-20 mags. I seem to have an affinity for guns with expensive mags, for the price of 10-20 mags I could have another gun.
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby photogpat on Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:18 am

If a "manufacturer" is going to be increasing output 300%...then that "manufacturer" has piss poor production planning and WAY excess capacity.

You really think ammo companies spend the money to get loaders installed and working...then just let them sit idle?
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Sigfan220 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:03 am

linksep wrote:10 to 20 magazines per gun? I think that's excessive. I like magazine-loaders, heck of a lot cheaper than 10-20 mags. I seem to have an affinity for guns with expensive mags, for the price of 10-20 mags I could have another gun.

Magazine loaders work great at the range. For combat should it ever come to that you will need a lot of magazines. You will want to go into a gunfight with plenty then you may not come out with all of your mags. You will need more to replace the ones lost in the first fight. For handguns you not only should have spare magazines but also a spare gun.

Also I suggest taking a class with the gear you plan on using. In the 2 classes I have taken I have learned a ton about equipment. I figured my GI mags would be fine, if dropped with any ammo in them they were coming apart. I switched to Pmags at lunch, problem solved. Now all I buy is Pmags. I still use the GI mags at the range but would not rely on them. In the pistol class we were instructed to drop our guns in the dirt several times. After that the 1911's quit working. Most would argue - don't drop your gun. But in a gunfight **** happens. Do you want a gun that only works when clean and oiled properly or a a gun that you can trust will run no matter what. It will also force you to shoot in adverse conditions such as rain, snow, cold etc that you would otherwise avoid.
Sigfan220

Postby igofast on Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:05 am

linksep wrote:10 to 20 magazines per gun? I think that's excessive. I like magazine-loaders, heck of a lot cheaper than 10-20 mags. I seem to have an affinity for guns with expensive mags, for the price of 10-20 mags I could have another gun.

I get supply and demand, but it really irks me when I go to buy another mag and it costs $50+. I have a Savage rifle with a detachable mag, $110 for another 5 rounder, ridiculous.

However, some things to consider:
-magazines are a consumable, they are not supposed to last forever - how long are they supposed to last? Probably varies by gun/manufacturer but has to do with using it, not it sitting in a drawer loaded or unloaded.
-during the AWB, expensive mags doubled in price.
-during the AWB, hard to find mags were impossible to find.
-if your magazine is already less than 10 rounds, you *probably* would not be affected by new legislation.

Then there was the craziness after Sandy Hook - but my experience was that it largely affected AR-15's. If another AWB gains traction just make sure you're set for the long haul.
igofast

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:33 am

Is it Time to Stock Up?

No - too late to stock up.

I'll finish my years shooting what oddball stuff I have in stock.
OldmanFCSA

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:35 am

"I have AR Mags for sale - $3.00 each."

What year and month do you want?
OldmanFCSA

Postby Ghost on Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:02 pm

photogpat wrote:If a "manufacturer" is going to be increasing output 300%...then that "manufacturer" has piss poor production planning and WAY excess capacity.

You really think ammo companies spend the money to get loaders installed and working...then just let them sit idle?

Maybe they are switching from one to three shifts?
Ghost

Postby photogpat on Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:22 pm

Ghost wrote:
photogpat wrote:If a "manufacturer" is going to be increasing output 300%...then that "manufacturer" has piss poor production planning and WAY excess capacity.

Maybe they are switching from one to three shifts?

Hahahahahahhahahahahahahhahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahha *deep breath*

Hahahahahahhahahahahahahhahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahha
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby LePetomane on Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:06 pm

Time to stock up? Yes. Time to panic? No. I'll let you know when it is time to panic.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby westhope on Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:07 pm

My panicking will let you know.

What a stupid question. It is ALWAYS time to stock up.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby linksep on Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:54 pm

Sigfan220 wrote:

Magazine loaders work great at the range. For combat should it ever come to that you will need a lot of magazines. You will want to go into a gunfight with plenty then you may not come out with all of your mags. You will need more to replace the ones lost in the first fight. For handguns you not only should have spare magazines but also a spare gun.

I'd rather have 2 guns with 4-6 mags total and a speed-loader than to have 1 gun with 10-20 mags... I don't plan on being in a gunfight, let alone one that requires 9+ mag changes. Even in a "bug-out" & "teotwaki" scenario I think more total guns with less total mags wins because in that scenario I would have a mag-loading-assistant to work the speed-loader. If I can't hold down the fort with multiple guns and 4 mags per gun, and a mag-loading assistant, then the zombies have won and I'm not so sure I want to be the last non-zombie on earth.

Of course this is IMO considering I don't own any of the "popular" guns with $6-$12 mags. If you're talking about a $1200 AR15 and loading up on $8 mags then knock yourself out, but of you're talking about a $580 FNX-9 with $44 magazines I don't think the 10-20 mags "rule" makes any sense.
linksep

Postby Ghost on Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:28 am

linksep wrote:
Sigfan220 wrote:

I'd rather have 2 guns with 4-6 mags total and a speed-loader than to have 1 gun with 10-20 mags... I don't plan on being in a gunfight, let alone one that requires 9+ mag changes. Even in a "bug-out" & "teotwaki" scenario I think more total guns with less total mags wins because in that scenario I would have a mag-loading-assistant to work the speed-loader. If I can't hold down the fort with multiple guns and 4 mags per gun, and a mag-loading assistant, then the zombies have won and I'm not so sure I want to be the last non-zombie on earth.

Of course this is IMO considering I don't own any of the "popular" guns with $6-$12 mags. If you're talking about a $1200 AR15 and loading up on $8 mags then knock yourself out, but of you're talking about a $580 FNX-9 with $44 magazines I don't think the 10-20 mags "rule" makes any sense.

What about the situation where you are alone?
Ghost

Postby linksep on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:18 am

Ghost wrote:What about the situation where you are alone?

linksep wrote:then the zombies have won...
linksep

Next

Return to Politics