So, what's next in the legislature? A proposal.

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: So, what's next in the legislature? A proposal.

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:32 pm

atomic41 wrote:On a Federal level, pass the Hearing Protection Act.

Would be great not to pay that 200 dollar extortion fee to protect my hearing. Suppressors cost enough now. I need one for my short barrel 308 cough "pistol" cough. Ears still ring with hearing protection. Folks at the range get up and move away from me when I fire it but I usually just stop firing so I don't piss anyone off.
Bearcatrp

Postby linksep on Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:43 am

Bearcatrp wrote:
atomic41 wrote:On a Federal level, pass the Hearing Protection Act.

Would be great not to pay that 200 dollar extortion fee to protect my hearing. Suppressors cost enough now. I need one for my short barrel 308 cough "pistol" cough. Ears still ring with hearing protection. Folks at the range get up and move away from me when I fire it but I usually just stop firing so I don't piss anyone off.

I'll buy 2 suppressors for every firearm I own when I can buy one for $29.94 at Wal-Mart and trade them with friends like 1990's era baseball cards with no paperwork involved.

Get that passed ASAP. There's no legit reason at all that suppressors should have restrictions on them; but I ain't buying one if there is ridiculous extra cost and paperwork involved.
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby bstrawse on Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:12 am

jdege wrote:
xd ED wrote:Forcing a business to allow firearms might well limit their ability to conduct business.

I don't see anything in my proposal that would force a business to allow firearms. What I'm looking for is a way to stop insurance companies from requiring businesses to ban firearms.

I've yet to see an example of this being required by an insurance company. Have you seen this somewhere?

EDITED:

Missed your example at first. Do you have copies of the insurance policy making this requirement?
Last edited by bstrawse on Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby bstrawse on Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:17 am

jdege wrote:So, what's next in the legislature?

Looks like the GOP will control both houses of the MN legislature.

Are there pro-gun bills we want to push?

Yes, a very long list ;)

Do you think such a bill could be drafted?

Could it pass?

Would it have the effect I'd intend?

We can draft anything - finding sponsors, convincing a committee chair to hear the bill, and convincing leadership to bring it to the floor is a whole other matter...

I'm not sure if this will have the effect intended, but it's something we'll discuss with counsel and see.

Where would you see something like this prioritized against say, Constitutional Carry, Stand Your Ground, NFA Compliance, expanded castle doctrine, etc.?

Thanks for the suggestion!
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby xd ED on Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:52 am

jdege wrote:
I don't see anything in my proposal that would force a business to allow firearms. What I'm looking for is a way to stop insurance companies from requiring businesses to ban firearms.

jdege wrote:To make it work, though, we'd need to keep it focused. We'd need a law that removed liability only for businesses that do not ban permitted carry. Businesses that do ban carry should receive no protection.

'Force' may have been too broad a term, inasmuch as obamacare doesn't 'force' anyone to buy health insurance.

Maybe 'extort' would be more accurate.

However its described, expect a serious, and overwhelming pushback from any business/ employer due to the intrusiveness.

I have to believe any attempt at the manipulation of liability laws will (rightfully) scare the hell out of those involved(save for the personal injury bar).

Perhaps there's a lesson to be learned from what happened when the govt got involved in dictating the relationship between health care insurers and their clients.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby xd ED on Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:42 am

bstrawse wrote:
...Constitutional Carry, Stand Your Ground, NFA Compliance, expanded castle doctrine, etc.

...!

All well worth addressing;
a tough call to prioritize these, but Constitutional Carry would make a strong statement.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby bstrawse on Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:26 am

xd ED wrote:
bstrawse wrote:
...Constitutional Carry, Stand Your Ground, NFA Compliance, expanded castle doctrine, etc.

...!

All well worth addressing;
a tough call to prioritize these, but Constitutional Carry would make a strong statement.

That's only a partial list ;)
bstrawse

Postby jdege on Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:11 am

bstrawse wrote:
jdege wrote:I don't see anything in my proposal that would force a business to allow firearms. What I'm looking for is a way to stop insurance companies from requiring businesses to ban firearms.

I've yet to see an example of this being required by an insurance company. Have you seen this somewhere?

EDITED:

Missed your example at first. Do you have copies of the insurance policy making this requirement?

No. I've not seen the policy. I'm only working from conversations with the boss.
jdege

Postby LarryP on Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:18 pm

Most Republicans are not going to support major gun law changes. How the public feels about guns scares them to much. Not to mention we still have the dayton roadblock
LarryP

Postby fjrdc on Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:20 pm

Trump's first 100 days , national receprocity :D
" Little By Little One Travels Far"
fjrdc

Postby bstrawse on Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:38 am

LarryP wrote:Most Republicans are not going to support major gun law changes. How the public feels about guns scares them to much. Not to mention we still have the dayton roadblock

I don't agree with that, they will in both the House and Senate.
b
bstrawse

So, what's next in the legislature? A proposal.

Postby LumberZach on Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:29 pm

All I want to se is the hearing protection act pushed through. Other than that, 4 years of relative safety for gun rights would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby BigBlue on Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:41 pm

A way to make suppressors easier to get and less expensive would be marvelous. That would be what I would rank highest. Then, anything that helps protect and preserve rights to buy, keep, and carry.

BB
BigBlue

Previous

Return to Politics