House Republicans launch Second Amendment Caucus

Firearms related political discussion forum

Postby jdege on Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:33 pm

http://www.guns.com/2016/12/14/republican-lawmakers-in-the-house-launch-second-amendment-caucus/
A group of conservative U.S. Representatives has banded together to form a caucus that will work towards shepherding a host of pro-gun bills in the new Congress.

Kentucky Republican U.S. Rep. Thomas Massie said the time was right to resurrect the group, which operated from 2004 through 2013 as the Second Amendment Caucus and later the Second Amendment Task Force before falling dormant in recent years.

“The recent election results present us with a new opportunity to advance pro-gun legislation and reverse the erosion of the Second Amendment that’s occurred over the last few decades,” Massie said in a statement. “I look forward to working with the new President and this determined group of conservatives to promote a pro-gun agenda.”

I've always gone into every new Congressional session expecting to be gravely disappointed.

Generally, this happens well before the session starts. We're less than two weeks from the start of session and they haven't disappointed me yet.

It's a new record.
jdege

Re: House Republicans launch Second Amendment Caucus

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:54 pm

Lets hope suppressors come off the NFA grips. I want one but don't want to pay the $200 dollar extortion fee. let me walk into cabelas, fill out the paper work similar to buying a rifle, and walk out with one.
Bearcatrp

Postby Ghost on Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:07 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Lets hope suppressors come off the NFA grips. I want one but don't want to pay the $200 dollar extortion fee. let me walk into cabelas, fill out the paper work similar to buying a rifle, and walk out with one.

It's a pipe with a threaded end and a cap with a hole in it, it should be available from Home Depot.
Ghost

Postby Lumpy on Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:34 pm

As long as we're wishing, remove short-barreled rifles from the NFA list. And for pete's sake open the full-auto registry again.
Lumpy

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:01 am

Lumpy wrote:As long as we're wishing, remove short-barreled rifles from the NFA list. And for pete's sake open the full-auto registry again.

Heck, I'm in for short barreled rifles. But for full auto, think they want a stool sample too besides all the other crap required.
Bearcatrp

Postby westhope on Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:50 am

For me, the most important thing to watch for is the appointment of Supreme Court Justices during Trumps term. This will have more of an affect on long term gun rights.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Randygmn on Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:31 pm

For me, the most important legislation will be National Reciprocity. The NRA is pushing that hard. Trump has already said he will sign it. The legislation is already written. Again, for me, I spend half the year in Minnesota and half the year in NYC. If nothing else happens gun related, this would be my priority.
Randygmn

Postby Ghost on Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:20 pm

Randygmn wrote:For me, the most important legislation will be National Reciprocity. The NRA is pushing that hard. Trump has already said he will sign it. The legislation is already written. Again, for me, I spend half the year in Minnesota and half the year in NYC. If nothing else happens gun related, this would be my priority.

I'd like this also. I'd like to see how it works in NYC though. Bastards got my knife last time I was there.
Ghost

Postby Lumpy on Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:30 pm

How would national reciprocity work in states that don't have state preemption on carry?
Lumpy

Postby LumberZach on Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:35 pm

I'm ok with national reciprocity as long as the federal government doesn't get involved. My biggest fear is the federal gov. trying to work with it down the road. I have a lot of other issues I'd like to see tackled first. Namely suppressors and nfa stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby Randygmn on Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:17 pm

Lumpy wrote:How would national reciprocity work in states that don't have state preemption on carry?

I don't think the states or cities would have a choice? All states/cities must accept every drivers license. This would ostensibly work the same way. I have heard that if a state doesn't allow for conceal carry, it could be exempt. But I don't think there are any left. I'd like to hear more from the NRA since they help craft the pending legislation.
Randygmn

Postby jshuberg on Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:54 pm

Full autos could be done by either appealing or amending the Hughes amendment, or by judicial ruling. In US v Miller the court ruled that weapons adoptable to militia use (as in use by the military) are protected by the 2A.

The case ruled that a sawed off shotgun wasn't protected by the 2A as it wasn't in use by the military in 1934. However, by this interpretation (which established precedent) both SBSs and machine guns would be protected today, as they are in common use by the military.

I don't believe congress will ever have the balls to repeal the Hughes amendment. But it only takes 5 Supreme Court judges, given the right case to rule Hughes unconstitutional. I don't expect this to happen anytime soon, but it's the best shot at getting post 86 machine guns back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Hmac on Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:31 am

So...we think that, if national reciprocity legislation is passed and signed, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, New York will just meekly go along? I think they will simply ignore any such legislation passed by a Republican-led government. It will become an unbelievable legislative mess.
Hmac

Postby jdege on Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:09 am

Hmac wrote:So...we think that, if national reciprocity legislation is passed and signed, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, New York will just meekly go along? I think they will simply ignore any such legislation passed by a Republican-led government. It will become an unbelievable legislative mess.

I think they'd simply roll roll over and abide by the law without complaint, the way they have with FOPA.
http://warshawskylawfirm.com/lawyer/2011/01/21/Civil-Rights-Law/U.S.-Supreme-Court-Denies-Cert-In-Important-Gun-Rights-Case,-Revell-v.-Port-Authority-of-New-York--New-Jersey._bl1727.htm
jdege

Postby Hmac on Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:31 am

jdege wrote:
Hmac wrote:So...we think that, if national reciprocity legislation is passed and signed, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, New York will just meekly go along? I think they will simply ignore any such legislation passed by a Republican-led government. It will become an unbelievable legislative mess.

I think they'd simply roll roll over and abide by the law without complaint, the way they have with FOPA.
http://warshawskylawfirm.com/lawyer/2011/01/21/Civil-Rights-Law/U.S.-Supreme-Court-Denies-Cert-In-Important-Gun-Rights-Case,-Revell-v.-Port-Authority-of-New-York--New-Jersey._bl1727.htm

I suspect that they'll rebel over anything that comes out of the new political order that exists in America these days. We'll have to wait a bit to see how it turns out, but the whole sanctuary city thing will show us for certain a) how far the government is willing t push and b) the extent to which the cities/states are will to rebel in the face of Federal legislation that contravenes their political ideology. It's a hot-button topic that will get most of the national attention, at least initially. I suspect gun rights legislation is pretty far down priority list for the new Congress and new Administration.
Hmac

Next

Return to Politics