Pro gun bills introduced in the MN House

Firearms related political discussion forum

Pro gun bills introduced in the MN House

Postby DustinD on Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:16 pm

Constitutional carry and self-defense law reform, (castle doctrine, no duty to retreat) have been introduced. The House speaker and other Republican House leaders are committed to passing these bills and other bills through the House. We are still working on the Senate, not sure if we will get the Governor to sign all of the bills or not. The Caucus leadership is asking everyone to write their representatives to make these bills a priority.

www.revisor.mn.gov/bills HF0238

www.revisor.mn.gov/bills HF0188
DustinD

Re: Pro gun bills introduced in the MN House

Postby Randygmn on Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:55 pm

Does anyone know if the proposed Minnesota Constitutional Carry will allow both open and concealed?
Randygmn

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:10 pm

I don't know why it wouldn't. MN law doesn't differentiate between the two.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby xd ED on Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:15 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I don't know why it wouldn't. MN law doesn't differentiate between the two.

^^^THIS^^^^

The word: 'carry' is used throughout...

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/text.php?number=HF188&version=0&session_year=2017&session_number=0

Section 1 of the House bill:
A bill for an act
relating to public safety; providing for the right to carry without a permit; providing
for an optional permit to carry;amending Minnesota Statutes 2016, section 624.714,
subdivisions 2, 3, 7, 15, 20, 23, by adding subdivisions; repealing Minnesota
Statutes 2016, sections 624.714, subdivisions 1a, 1b, 16; 624.7181.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:
Section 1. Minnesota Statutes 2016, section 624.714, is amended by adding a subdivision
to read:
Subd. 1c. No permit required. (a) The legislature of the state of Minnesota recognizes
and declares that the second amendment of the United States Constitution guarantees the
fundamental, individual right to keep and bear arms.
(b) A person who is not prohibited from possessing a firearm by any law of this state or
any federal law shall have the right to carry, hold, or possess a firearm in a motor vehicle,
snowmobile, or boat, or on or about the person's clothes or the person, or otherwise in
possession or control in a public place.
(c) For the purposes of this section, "public place" means property owned, leased, or
controlled by a governmental unit and private property that is regularly and frequently open
to or made available for use by the public in sufficient numbers to give clear notice of the
property's current dedication to public use but does not include: a person's dwelling house
or premises, the place of business owned or managed by the person, or land possessed by
the person; a gun show, gun shop, or hunting or target shooting facility; or the woods, fields,
or waters of this state where the person is present lawfully for the purpose of hunting or
target shooting or other lawful activity involving firearms.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby bstrawse on Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:05 am

Randygmn wrote:Does anyone know if the proposed Minnesota Constitutional Carry will allow both open and concealed?

Yes, both.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Hmac on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:27 am

I recall Dayton wringing his hands over the Castle Doctrine law and finally deciding that he had to take the advice of his law enforcement advisors and veto it. What's different this time?
Hmac

Postby Ghost on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:40 am

Hmac wrote:I recall Dayton wringing his hands over the Castle Doctrine law and finally deciding that he had to take the advice of his law enforcement advisors and veto it. What's different this time?

Maybe he's taking his meds this time?
Ghost

Postby 2in2out on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:53 am

It seems like when it comes to decisions which have a chance of being controversial, Governor Dayton takes advise from a small handful of people. His decision is based on what they tell him, which is about as accurate as the 2016 Presidential election polls. His veto is used to avoid controversy, not to prevent bad bills from becoming law.

In my armchair quarterback opinion, the way to ensure success this time is not to change his opinion, but to change the advice he is given.

On the flip side, I believe the people of our state are more inclined to see firearms as a good tool for self defense now than in the recent past. I was watching Adam Kraut's video about why he wanted to serve on the NRA board and I think he's right about what needs to happen. Fortunately for us, I think we have been ahead of the curve and are among the states that are leading the nation. The state high school trap league, for instance, is going to pay huge dividends in a couple of years as those kids start to vote.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby 2in2out on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:53 am

Duplicate, sorry :oops:
Last edited by 2in2out on Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:50 am

Ghost wrote:
Hmac wrote:I recall Dayton wringing his hands over the Castle Doctrine law and finally deciding that he had to take the advice of his law enforcement advisors and veto it. What's different this time?

The problem may actually be the meds he is on...
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:02 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ghost wrote:

The problem may actually be the meds he is on...

The "meds" that led to him needing to take meds for the condition caused by the initial "meds".
Ghost

Postby Randygmn on Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:12 pm

For me personally, I'll still voluntarily choose to keep my permit, for several reasons. The govt already knows about me, lol. Countless 4473's, as well as being permitted in NYC for 20 years, and my current MN permit. I know folks who refuse or prefer never to be on govt radar, and I respect that. That ship has already sailed for me. But, the real intent of constitutional carry, and how the second amendment is all that is needed, I FULLY SUPPORT!! Also, having the permit allows me to carry in other states where there is reciprocity. Also, when National Reciprocity passes (fingers crossed), I'll be able to carry again in NYC, where I spend a good portion of the year (can't hold 2 permits from different states, currently). And finally, the reason I'll continue to keep my permit....God forbid I ever use a firearm in a self defense situation, I'd rather have the prosecutor/judge/jury know that I've taken the initiative to keep my permit and have passed the required state standards. Ymmv.
Randygmn

Postby bstrawse on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:50 am

Dayton vetoed similar legislation in 2012. He is likely to do so again, but we'll see what happens.

If he does, it will be used at the ballot box in 2018 in the Governor's race and in the MN House races.

Either way, we will win.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Lumpy on Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:54 pm

DustinD wrote: The Caucus leadership is asking everyone to write their representatives to make these bills a priority.

Keith Ellison <urgh> :x
Lumpy

Postby MJY65 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:14 pm

Lumpy wrote:
DustinD wrote: The Caucus leadership is asking everyone to write their representatives to make these bills a priority.

Keith Ellison <urgh> :x

We're talking about state, not fed.
MJY65

Next

Return to Politics