Trumps picks Dead On Arrival now?

Firearms related political discussion forum

Trumps picks Dead On Arrival now?

Postby LarryP on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:51 am

Looks like the libs will be playing hardball with all of Trumps picks for positions after the immigration travel order.. Now with a supreme court nomination. I can't see him getting confirmed anytime soon..
The libs aren't in power, but in the senate they seem to have a lot of power. they want votes delayed until 2018 elections where they could gain seats & take control back.
And some Republicans are getting cold feet supporting trump. History shows the party caving into pressure.
I support trump, but feel if he can't get confirmations done in several weeks, he'll be screwed.
Hope I'm wrong
LarryP

Re: Trumps picks Dead On Arrival now?

Postby Rodentman on Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:00 am

I don't think Trump will be "screwed." He succeeded in the highly competitive NYC real estate business and he will ultimately prevail, with much of his agenda, in the White House. There will be some setbacks due to the Dems but Trump is a fighter; he won't go into a corner and cry. I think the Dem party is in a lot more trouble than the Reps.
Rodentman

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:21 am

It's all political theater. The democrat party is controlled by the moonbat left, they'd be doing the same thing regardless of who was the Republican President or who his appointments were.

They're will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but Trumps appointments will be confirmed.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby xd ED on Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:10 am

In view of last night's press conference, I think President Trump will handle things effectively.
A very positive, gracious introduction of the SCOTUS nominee, sidestepping any media filtering made an excellent first impression on the country, and now leaves the media, and other detractors playing catch up.
It's obvious the talking heads are a bit flummoxed, as this AM they opened with the 'this-should-have-been-obama's-pick' spiel.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby LarryP on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:10 pm

It was funny watching Al Franken babbling away at the hearings. He's a sad joke for sure.
LarryP

Postby jdege on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:17 pm

Given the mood the dems are in, I don't think anyone Trump picked could get closure. But by choosing someone who was unanimously approved for the court of appeals, he's making a strong case for invoking the nuclear option.

There are a lot in the GOP who don't like that idea, but if the dems won't approve a non-controversial candidate like Gorsuch, they won't approve anybody, which may convince the hold-outs that is time to throw the switch
jdege

Postby atomic41 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:28 pm

Several Dems have already pledged to vote for him. They want to avoid the nuclear option, this will probably be the least contested appointment.

Don't worry, the dems are destroying themselves at breakneck pace, this is a great time to be a conservative leaning voter. They are losing people just about daily.
atomic41

Postby Ghost on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:33 pm

Trump has this, he's playing the dems better than they know themselves.

Ghost

Postby LarryP on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:39 pm

What does everyone think of Trumps SC pick?
I don't know anything about him. Good or bad.
LarryP

Postby MJY65 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:27 pm

LarryP wrote:What does everyone think of Trumps SC pick?

He sounds pretty solid. Most of the analysis has put him as a very good replacement for Scalia.
MJY65

Postby Ghost on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:13 pm

Ghost

Postby Snakeman721 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:58 pm

Ghost wrote:

Well, there ya go!! :flag:
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby Snakeman721 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:04 pm

The Dems in one sub committee vetting 2 Trump nominees sat out in protest for the 2nd day yesterday. Soooooo, the committee changed the rules and let a vote happen WITHOUT the Dems being present. Both nominees passed to go on to the full Senate vote. If the dems want to be cry babies and sit out, well fine...we don't need their childish antics anyway. On the SCOTUS nominee, it seems that ALL the Repubs like him regradless of what they think of Trump, so I'm sure he'll be nominated....might even get those 8 additional Dem votes from Dems that represent red states or states that voted Trump. :)
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby jdege on Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:19 pm

Snakeman721 wrote:The Dems in one sub committee vetting 2 Trump nominees sat out in protest for the 2nd day yesterday. Soooooo, the committee changed the rules and let a vote happen WITHOUT the Dems being present. Both nominees passed to go on to the full Senate vote. If the dems want to be cry babies and sit out, well fine...we don't need their childish antics anyway. On the SCOTUS nominee, it seems that ALL the Repubs like him regradless of what they think of Trump, so I'm sure he'll be nominated....might even get those 8 additional Dem votes from Dems that represent red states or states that voted Trump. :)

The committee chair involved was Orin Hatch, who is one of only a handful of GOP Senators who's been arguing against the nuclear option.

Convince him that the dems can't be reasoned with and it's a done deal.
jdege

Postby Ironbear on Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:04 pm

NY Times says:
So what might a Justice Gorsuch mean for the court? Like Justice Scalia, he is an originalist, meaning he interprets the Constitution’s language to mean what it was understood to mean when it was written — an approach that has led both men to consistently conservative results.

Judge Gorsuch’s similarities to Justice Scalia extend into several areas of the law. Since his appointment in 2006, by President George W. Bush, he has voted consistently in favor of religious-liberty claims, such as requests for exemptions for private companies and religious nonprofits that oppose the Affordable Care Act’s contraceptive mandate.

He is even more conservative than Justice Scalia in at least one area — calling for an end to the deference courts traditionally show to administrative agencies, like the Environmental Protection Agency, that are charged with implementing complex and important federal laws.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/31/opinion/neil-gorsuch-the-nominee-for-a-stolen-seat.html?referer=http://www.drudgereport.com/
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Next

Return to Politics