Constitutional Carry and Self Defense Law Reform to be heard

Firearms related political discussion forum

Constitutional Carry and Self Defense Law Reform to be heard

Postby DustinD on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:26 am

From an email, bolding mine.

Two critical pieces of pro-gun rights legislation are coming up for a hearing in the House Public Safety and Security Policy and Finance Committee on Wednesday, March 8th at 10:15am:
HF188:  Constitutional Carry (also known as Permitless Carry)
HF238:  Defense of Person and Dwelling Act (also known in other states as "Stand your Ground")
These are the two centerpieces of our 2017 legislative agenda --- and this year we have the best chance of passing them through the legislature because of the work that supporters like you did during the 2016 elections - by putting a pro-Second Amendment legislature in place in both house of the Minnesota legislature.

We've worked closely with the National Rifle Association (NRA) and GOCRA President Joseph Olson to bring this legislation forward.

We need your help to ensure that these bills move forward in the legislature this year.
Join us on Wednesday, March 8th:  If you can be at the hearing, please join us!  The hearing will be in the State Office Building (100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Drive) in Room 10.  The hearing begins at 10:15am.  We recommend arriving early.  You may carry in the State Capitol Complex if you have a Minnesota Permit to Carry - prior notification is not required. We recommend carrying concealed.

Call your State Representative:  Let them know you support HF188 and HF238 and want to see them move forward in 2017.

E-Mail your State Representative:  Follow-up with a brief e-mail to your State Representative reiterating your support for HF188 and HF238.

E-Mail the Committee:  E-Mail the members of the House Public Safety and Security Policy and Finance Committee.  You can find a roster of members at this link.

Please join the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus if you haven't already:  It's our members and their financial support that enable us to move legislation like this forward. Join us today!
It's important that we have a good crowd on hand.  If you can be there that morning, please come down!

We've excited about next week - and hope we can see you there.

Yours in Liberty,
Bryan Strawser
Chair
Sent by Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus, PO Box 131718, Saint Paul, MN 55113-0015, a Minnesota nonprofit & IRS 501(c)(4) organization.
DustinD

Re: Constitutional Carry and Self Defense Law Reform to be heard

Postby steve4102 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:40 am

Governor Goofy will only sign this if Law Enforcement approves and gives him an oaky-doky .

What does LE have to say about this?

My guess is not good and this will die at the hands of MN law Enforcement Officials.
steve4102

Postby sprigfan on Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:24 am

Yep. I give it about a 1% chance. Only way it's going to happen is if they have enough votes to override the veto. I like that they are trying though.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
sprigfan

Postby Hmac on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:11 am

I applaud the effort, but certainly these issues, even if passed, would be DOA at the governor's desk. I can't imagine that Dayton's LEO "advisors" would endorse either of those two initiatives. Is there enough legislative support to override the inevitable veto?
Hmac

Postby goett047 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:31 am

I'd like to take a day off for this but I really feel it would be futile as Dayton doesn't give a rip what the people want.
goett047

Postby Ghost on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:24 am

It doesn't hurt to try and keep trying until we get what we want
Ghost

Postby Hmac on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:18 am

Ghost wrote:It doesn't hurt to try and keep trying until we get what we want

Nope. In fact, there's really no choice. Anti-gun factions will certainly keep trying to push their agenda.
Hmac

Postby JJ on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:59 am

We need to stop waiting for the anti's to bring bills, to "rally the troops". This is a proactive approach, that we have not seen since the MPPA, and we should be rallying behind it, and not hiding because Dayton may veto.

The people complaining about Dayton's veto, are the same folks who told us all that MNGOPAC candidates couldn't get suppressors legalized, and magically the suppressor bill landed on an omnibus bill that Dayton had no choice to sign.

Heads out of sand, show up and do something. Sitting behind a keyboard and whining when the anti's come for your rights isn't getting much done.

:?
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby bstrawse on Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:39 pm

Hi -

Here's the strategy - and I'll be blunt about this.

We have the votes to pass committee, the House, and the Senate to pass both bills.

Dayton can sign the bills - which is great, and they'll become law.

Dayton can veto the bills - in which case this will be issue #1 for gun owners in the 2018 elections.

EIther way we're going to win in the short or long run.

*Now* is the time to be on the offensive and push forward -- not waiting to see what Dayton may or may not do.

I hope to see you there on Wednesday -

Bryan
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby photogpat on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:08 pm

Looks like the anti-rights windbags will trot out the victims for exploitation. Sad how they have no qualms about exploiting a family tragedy for political gain.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby steve4102 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:13 am

bstrawse wrote:Hi -

Here's the strategy - and I'll be blunt about this.

We have the votes to pass committee, the House, and the Senate to pass both bills.

Dayton can sign the bills - which is great, and they'll become law.

Dayton can veto the bills - in which case this will be issue #1 for gun owners in the 2018 elections.

EIther way we're going to win in the short or long run.

*Now* is the time to be on the offensive and push forward -- not waiting to see what Dayton may or may not do.

I hope to see you there on Wednesday -

Bryan

Really?

MN was one of a handful of States that wanted Hillary Clinton to be their President.

The most gun hating, anti-second amendment Candidate in my lifetime and MN voted for her and we are supposed to believe that Governor Goofy can be defeated by vetoing Pro-Gun legislation?

No way it will be an issue.
steve4102

Postby MJY65 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:22 am

steve4102 wrote:Really?

MN was one of a handful of States that wanted Hillary Clinton to be their President.

The most gun hating, anti-second amendment Candidate in my lifetime and MN voted for her and we are supposed to believe that Governor Goofy can be defeated by vetoing Pro-Gun legislation?

Nice attitude!

Hillary won this state by about 40,000 votes. That's one of the closest margins I can recall in a Presidential election. We need 40,000 gun owners from the Arrowhead and suburbs to make it a priority, and this state could go R.
MJY65

Postby Ghost on Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:24 am

MJY65 wrote:

Nice attitude!

Hillary won this state by about 40,000 votes. That's one of the closest margins I can recall in a Presidential election. We need 40,000 gun owners from the Arrowhead and suburbs to make it a priority, and this state could go R.

Don't forget that Mcmuffin got ~53,000 and Johnson got ~112,000
Ghost

Postby steve4102 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:28 am

MJY65 wrote:

Nice attitude!

I still have family and friends in the Arrowhead, yes, they are gun toten and as pro-second Amendment as they can get.

...but that doesn't change the fact that they vote Democrat no matter what, they are brainwashed by their Unions to have nothing but contempt for the evil, corporate loving anti-working man Republican.

A republican candidate will not get support from the Arrowhead region.
steve4102

Postby xd ED on Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:38 am

steve4102 wrote:
MJY65 wrote:

Nice attitude!

I still have family and friends in the Arrowhead, yes, they are gun toten and as pro-second Amendment as they can get.

...but that doesn't change the fact that they vote Democrat no matter what, they are brainwashed by their Unions to have nothing but contempt for the evil, corporate loving anti-working man Republican.

That might well change with the upcoming crop of dfl gubernatorial candidates.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Next

Return to Politics