Constitutional Carry and Self Defense Law Reform to be heard

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Constitutional Carry and Self Defense Law Reform to be heard

Postby Citiot on Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:25 pm

Confused. GOCRA Book Face says this:

YOUR CALLS WORKED.
Stand Your Ground (HB 238) will be added to the Omnibus bill on next TUESDAY. There will be an up/down vote but no further public testimony.
Your PRESENCE is your speech. Arrive early to get a seat.
PLEASE BE THERE.
Tuesday, March 28, 2017
11:30 AM to 1:00 PM
Room 120 Capitol

????

https://www.facebook.com/gocra/
Citiot

Postby mrp on Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:19 pm

Citiot wrote:Confused. GOCRA Book Face says this:

YOUR CALLS WORKED.
Stand Your Ground (HB 238) will be added to the Omnibus bill on next TUESDAY. There will be an up/down vote but no further public testimony.
(snip)
https://www.facebook.com/gocra/

GOCRA Says:

>Our post is based on an updated agenda sent out by the House
committee administrator at 11:13 am March 24, 2017.
mrp

Postby Citiot on Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:26 pm

I think there is a mixup. I think it might be a typo.

There is chatter that the "Civilians that are also police officer's lives are more valuable than other Civilians who are not police officers" change (allowing them to go to U.S. Bank stadium armed while other civilians cannot). I think this is the addition to the omnibus.

On the right side of this page (as of now 2:22 PM 3/24) http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/cmte/Home/?comm=90019 it reads:

Tuesday, March 28, 2017
[Location Changed]
11:30 AM
Time Note:
The chair would like to conclude by 1:00 p.m., but we will continue until passage if necessary.
Room: 120 Capitol
Chair: Rep. Tony Cornish
Agenda:
*If you would like to testify regarding the omnibus bill, please notify the committee administrator by email at mike.valleau@house.mn. The chair asks that testimony be limited to language not already heard in committee and that comments be limited to two minutes per testifier.

*HF238 has already been given a full hearing in committee. No further public testimony will be taken.
Bills:

HF896 - (Cornish): Public safety, courts, firefighter, corrections, crime, disaster assistance, and controlled substance provisions modified; and money appropriated.
HF238 - (Nash): Use of force in defense of home and person law clarified, self-defense and defense of home laws codified and extended, duty to retreat in self-defense outside of home eliminated, boundaries of dwelling for purposes of self-defense expanded, presumption in the case of a person entering a dwelling or occupied vehicle by stealth or force created, and right to defend against entry extended.
Attachments:
(3/24/2017) H0896DE3.pdf
(3/24/2017) PublicSafety pdf.pdf
Citiot

Postby Randygmn on Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:04 pm

Perhaps someone here will step up and offer some clarity on what is actually happening with the Omnibus.

I'd be thrilled if H238 was included. Personally, I don't give a crap about off duty police.
Randygmn

Postby Ghost on Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:15 pm

Randygmn wrote:Perhaps someone here will step up and offer some clarity on what is actually happening with the Omnibus.

I'd be thrilled if H238 was included. Personally, I don't give a crap about off duty police.

Maybe they want to wait until it's all said and done before divulging any strategy
Ghost

Postby Randygmn on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:06 pm

Ghost wrote:
Randygmn wrote:Perhaps someone here will step up and offer some clarity on what is actually happening with the Omnibus.

Maybe they want to wait until it's all said and done before divulging any strategy

That's enough for me to pipe down for the moment.
Randygmn

Postby Ghost on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:14 pm

Randygmn wrote:
Ghost wrote:

That's enough for me to pipe down for the moment.

I have no idea, I hope that's the case. Looking forward to good news.
Ghost

Postby bstrawse on Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:39 am

HF238 is being moved as a standalone bill, it is not in the Omnibus as of right now (3/25).

While keeping up pressure to do that (incorporate into Omnibus), it's unlikely to happen.

HF188 - Constitutional Carry - is dead for the year.

There are folks that need to be held accountable for this happening, but now's not the time.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Randygmn on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:09 am

bstrawse wrote:

HF238 is being moved as a standalone bill, it is not in the Omnibus as of right now (3/25).

While keeping up pressure to do that (incorporate into Omnibus), it's unlikely to happen.

HF188 - Constitutional Carry - is dead for the year.

There are folks that need to be held accountable for this happening, but now's not the time.
b

Thanks for the update. Supremely disappointing. There should be hell to pay for this, and when the time is right, put the screws to those responsible in an extremely coordinated effort.

H238 has no chance to pass as a stand alone and should probably be pulled before it has a chance to be irreparably damaged. IMO.
Randygmn

Postby wasfuzz on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:37 am

Randygmn wrote: Personally, I don't give a crap about off duty police.

Sigh!
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby LarryP on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:14 pm

National or state, Seems like the democrats are still in control of everything. VERY dissapointing so far
LarryP

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:20 pm

wasfuzz wrote:

Sigh!

When will Leos realize we are all citizens?
Holland&Holland

Postby mrp on Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:18 am

wasfuzz wrote:

Sigh!

>The bill was also opposed by several law enforcement groups. Representatives from the Minnesota Chiefs of Police Association, the Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association and the Minnesota County Attorney's Association all testified against the proposal.

>Dennis Flaherty, of the Minnesota police and peace officer's group said the bill poses a safety risk for law enforcement officers.

What response do you think the LEO community should expect when they always act in their own (perceived) self interest? Have they ever said, "Yeah, could make our jobs a bit harder, I guess, but that's not a good reason to infringe on the 2A."?
mrp

Postby Citiot on Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:22 am

Just so I'm clear, they are going to put wording in the omnibus that allows 1st class citizens to carry at sports stadiums, but 2nd class citizens cannot? (we all know the Animal Farm cliche). I call this the "polices officer's lives have more value than my life (and my family's) law."

Plus, they are removing the "Defense of Dwelling and Person Act" that would protect the 2nd class citizens in certain instances.

This is just plain icky.

I was one of the "invisible" liberals who got sick of being ignored and voted 100% R for the first time in DECADES.
The disgruntled "invisible" liberals like me are who gave the Rs power this election.

If the Rs won't stick up for 2A rights for 2nd class citizens, while affording special privileges for 1st class citizens, I'm switching back. I suspect there millions like me across the nation.

I feel used and betrayed.

(just in case my similes are not coming across clearly. 1st class citizens are police. 2nd class citizens are everyone else)
Citiot

Postby bstrawse on Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:35 pm

Citiot wrote:Just so I'm clear, they are going to put wording in the omnibus that allows 1st class citizens to carry at sports stadiums, but 2nd class citizens cannot? (we all know the Animal Farm cliche). I call this the "polices officer's lives have more value than my life (and my family's) law."

Plus, they are removing the "Defense of Dwelling and Person Act" that would protect the 2nd class citizens in certain instances.

This is just plain icky.

I was one of the "invisible" liberals who got sick of being ignored and voted 100% R for the first time in DECADES.
The disgruntled "invisible" liberals like me are who gave the Rs power this election.

If the Rs won't stick up for 2A rights for 2nd class citizens, while affording special privileges for 1st class citizens, I'm switching back. I suspect there millions like me across the nation.

I feel used and betrayed.

(just in case my similes are not coming across clearly. 1st class citizens are police. 2nd class citizens are everyone else)

Be sure and e-mail Speaker Daudt, Rep. Cornish, and your Rep and Senator, and let them know you used to vote DFL and voted Republican for 2A issues (and more!) and you feel betrayed, etc..

They need to hear that.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

PreviousNext

Return to Politics