GOCRA?

Firearms related political discussion forum

GOCRA?

Postby warrlac on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:06 pm

Have tried to contact them. Why so silent?
warrlac

Re: GOCRA?

Postby 4weelin on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:48 pm

They haven't cashed the check I mailed them back in December. I support both groups, but am a little confused/concerned why some remain GOCRA and some became Gun Owners Caucus. Haven't talked to Andrew since last years Gun Owners Lobby Day.
4weelin

Postby photogpat on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:42 am

Gun Owner's Caucus Chairman Bryan Strawser and GOCRA's President Joe Olsen just had a joint effort at the Capitol last week for the Constitutional Carry and Self-Defense law reform bills.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby BigBlue on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:43 am

Back when the Gun Owner's Caucus was set up they explained the reasoning, though I can't articulate it exactly right now. Basically I think the caucus was a genuine non-profit that was registered to lobby the legislature or campaign for certain candidates or something. I think it had some fundraising benefits to do it that way. GOCRA was still there to work with our representatives but did so in a different manner. Why GOCRA has been quite lately and not responsive is not something I have any knowledge of.

BB
BigBlue

Postby warrlac on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:47 am

Thank you. GOCRA was very prominent in 2015 when the legislation to legalize silencers was put into place.

Needless to say, since early 2016 GOCRA seems to have become far less visible (at least to me down here in Burnsville). I used to get emails and see them at events. Should I shift my focus (and donations) to Gun Owners Caucus?

Thanks again.

photogpat wrote:Gun Owner's Caucus Chairman Bryan Strawser and GOCRA's President Joe Olsen just had a joint effort at the Capitol last week for the Constitutional Carry and Self-Defense law reform bills.
warrlac

Postby Tanfoglio on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:20 am

If you have to ask what an organization is doing, the answer would seem to be pretty obvious.

The MN gun owners Political Action Committee was formed as its own entity, in response to some very specific items and activities that only a PAC could do.

Since that time, the PAC leadership created the MN Gun Owners Caucus. I chatted with one of the leadership folks at the MWCA show, and it sounds like they are also working on some sort of education program. i don't quite get how all the 503/c4/R2D2/CP3O stuff works, but it sounds like the leaders of the PAC/MNGOC are working a cohesive stratergy from a couple differnt angles.

GOCRA, on the other hand, seems to be collecting checks.

YMMV
Tanfoglio

Postby IDPA Shooter on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:32 pm

I thought Andrew Rothman was the President and Joe had become Chair, but things change.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Bob Jahn NRA CRSO, IDPA 5 Gunner
USCCA Certified Training Counselor
NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun, Advanced Pistol Instructor
Massad Ayoob Group Instructor
Defense Training Intl (John Farnam) Instructor

http://www.rejfirearmstraining.com
IDPA Shooter

Postby Ghost on Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:44 pm

Looks like they are accomplishing something. From their Facebook.

GOCRA has received word from the Minnesota Attorney General's office that the federal BATF is recognizing the Minnesota P2P and the P2C as qualifying for the Brady-NICS exemption. More later as to effective date. Expect an open-letter to all Minnesota FFL holders soon.
Ghost

Postby harryset on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:06 pm

Would that mean that we wouldn't have to fill out all of that extraneous paperwork when purchasing??? :shock: :o
stercus accidit
It's not the LAWS you necessarily have to worry about, it's how the laws are regulated.

Send Me
harryset

Postby MJY65 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:21 pm

harryset wrote:Would that mean that we wouldn't have to fill out all of that extraneous paperwork when purchasing??? :shock: :o

No. The 4473 will still be needed. All it eliminates is the FFL call to NICS.
MJY65

Postby Tanfoglio on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:46 pm

Ghost wrote:Looks like they are accomplishing something. From their Facebook.

GOCRA has received word from the Minnesota Attorney General's office that the federal BATF is recognizing the Minnesota P2P and the P2C as qualifying for the Brady-NICS exemption. More later as to effective date. Expect an open-letter to all Minnesota FFL holders soon.

Receiving a notification and putting up a FB post, isn't exactly my defenition of doing something.

YMMV
Tanfoglio

Postby Ghost on Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:39 pm

Tanfoglio wrote:
Ghost wrote:Looks like they are accomplishing something. From their Facebook.

Receiving a notification and putting up a FB post, isn't exactly my defenition of doing something.

YMMV

Guess I'll wait until things go the wrong way to complain.
Ghost

Postby hard h2o on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:47 pm

MJY65 wrote:
harryset wrote:Would that mean that we wouldn't have to fill out all of that extraneous paperwork when purchasing??? :shock: :o

No. The 4473 will still be needed. All it eliminates is the FFL call to NICS.

That would be great. I have won several firearms at various banquets. Always fun late at night hoping the call goes through and the check comes back.
hard h2o

Re:

Postby bstrawse on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:13 am

IDPA Shooter wrote:I thought Andrew Rothman was the President and Joe had become Chair, but things change.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Joe Olson is currently the President of GOCRA.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby bstrawse on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:15 am

Tanfoglio wrote:If you have to ask what an organization is doing, the answer would seem to be pretty obvious.

The MN gun owners Political Action Committee was formed as its own entity, in response to some very specific items and activities that only a PAC could do.

Since that time, the PAC leadership created the MN Gun Owners Caucus. I chatted with one of the leadership folks at the MWCA show, and it sounds like they are also working on some sort of education program. i don't quite get how all the 503/c4/R2D2/CP3O stuff works, but it sounds like the leaders of the PAC/MNGOC are working a cohesive stratergy from a couple differnt angles.

GOCRA, on the other hand, seems to be collecting checks.

YMMV

I don't speak for GOCRA, so can't answer for them.

MNGOPAC was formed with GOCRA's blessing, as several of us had volunteered there, to deal with election issues that a 501c4 cannot do. We've since launched a very integrated organization, the MN Gun Owners Caucus, which includes MNGOPAC, and an education oriented 501c3. This is similar to the setup of other successful political organizations.

We led the 2017 legislative efforts, working closely with House & Senate leadership, and with coordination with the NRA and GOCRA President Joe Olson, who testified on both bills.

We'll be at the upcoming MWCA show this weekend - hope to see you there!
Last edited by bstrawse on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Next

Return to Politics