Gorsuch is in.

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Gorsuch is in.

Postby yukonjasper on Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:28 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:WTF to people want? Should we have let the Dems choose the nominee?

Seriously, they got it done, period, at least they finally accomplished something.

I agree. The civility I'm politics really no longer exists. The Bork nomination was the defining moment. Up until that point, the incoming president got who they wanted. My opinion.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby LarryP on Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:59 pm

Republicans hold a very slight majority in the senate. The walls could come crashing down in a year. If so,I bet the Older lib judges will resign to get younger liberals to fill their seats. It will be a real mess
LarryP

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:21 pm

LarryP wrote:Republicans hold a very slight majority in the senate. The walls could come crashing down in a year. If so,I bet the Older lib judges will resign to get younger liberals to fill their seats. It will be a real mess

And by being nice to the libs they are going to take pity on us? and the walls won't come crashing down?
Holland&Holland

Postby MJY65 on Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:34 pm

LarryP wrote:Republicans hold a very slight majority in the senate. The walls could come crashing down in a year. If so,I bet the Older lib judges will resign to get younger liberals to fill their seats. It will be a real mess

If the Ds take the Senate in 2018, you seriously think Trump is going to nominate a liberal? Those old justices would have to hang on until 2020-at least.
MJY65

Postby steve4102 on Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:02 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Right, cause the dems would have respected our position if the roles were reversed. Some people need to wake the eff up

This!

The Nuclear Option has been around for a long time, it's real name is the Constitution Option.

The Republicans used it to get Gorsuch confirmed and it will stay in place as long as the Republicans wish it to stay in place or until the Democrats take back the Senate.

If the Democrats retake the Senate in 2018, they will reverse the Constitutional Option to stop any future SC appointment by President Trump.

If the Republicans keep control of the Senate, they will be able to confirm SC appointments without Democrat obstructionism until 2020.

The Democrats will use and would have used the Constitutional Option to confirm their nominees , no matter what the Republicans do or did.

Lets say President Trump loses in 2020 and we are faced with another Obama or Hillary in the WH. If the Republicans still control the Senate, they can reinstate the 60 vote filibuster rule to stop confirmation of SC Justices.

The Republicans invoking the Constitutional Option has ZERO effect on what the Democrats can and cannot do once they get back into power. This is not a Permanent Rules Change and both parties will change it back and forth as they see fit.
steve4102

Postby LarryP on Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:36 pm

Of course he won't nominate a liberal. If Dem's control the senate, he won't get anyone appointed. Then when Dems are in power again, the door it open to them.
And I'm more worried about what states do rights

MJY65 wrote:

If the Ds take the Senate in 2018, you seriously think Trump is going to nominate a liberal? Those old justices would have to hang on until 2020-at least.
LarryP

Postby steve4102 on Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:26 pm

LarryP wrote:Of course he won't nominate a liberal. If Dem's control the senate, he won't get anyone appointed. Then when Dems are in power again, the door it open to them.

MJY65 wrote:

The door is open to them whether the Republicans went Nuclear or not. If they have control of the Senate THE DOOR is open to go Nuclear regardless if the Republicans are in Nuclear mode now or not.

If the Republicans did not go Nuclear, does not in any way mean that the Democrats cannot go Nuclear when they have the majority.

There is no door here, it is a parliamentary procedure that can be invoked or revoked by whomever is in the Majority.

Please explain???
steve4102

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:56 pm

Rumor has it that Roberts is thinking about retirement. Gorsuch clerked for Roberts so the subtle message is that he can retire and know that a similar Justice will be appointed.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Randygmn on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:44 pm

Ginsburg is 84. Kennedy is 80. In 4 years, RBG would be one of the oldest to serve, ever. The likelihood that they will either die or retire, before then, is high. Insurance actuaries make these sorts of risk assessments for a living. The GOP did the same here. The odds are Trump will nominate multiple jurists to the court. Also, the senate midterms stack up very badly for the Dems, as they have most of their contested seats in Red States were Trump won. It is very likely the GOP will hold the senate. It is not impossible, either, that if Trump seats 2 or 3 justices (that turn in a good track record on the high court) going into his final year, that Thomas could be convinced to retire, too. He, above all others, is loathe to do what Ginsberg did by staying too long. She's cursed everyday by those on the left for not retiring during Obama's final term. She was that convinced that Hillary would win. The gamble on nuking the filibuster could pay off dramatically. Trump could conceivably seat 3 or 4 justices. And with the amount of relatively recent new jurists, there could be very little turnover in the next decade that could backfire on the GOP. Breyer is a wild card. But it's possible we could have a 6-3 Court for decades to come.
Randygmn

Postby FJ540 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:47 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Rumor has it that Roberts is thinking about retirement. Gorsuch clerked for Roberts so the subtle message is that he can retire and know that a similar Justice will be appointed.

I'm happy we have Gorsuch, because he looks like a solid Constitutionalist based on his record. I'm also happy he's not much older than me. We've got some time to count on him keeping things in check (God willing).

I don't want to retire Roberts without first replacing Ginsberg. That's just me. She quits/croaks/wanders off the Res - and we get a Constitutional moderate, then John can play golf, not prior.
FJ540

Postby Ghost on Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:08 am

FJ540 wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:Rumor has it that Roberts is thinking about retirement. Gorsuch clerked for Roberts so the subtle message is that he can retire and know that a similar Justice will be appointed.

I'm happy we have Gorsuch, because he looks like a solid Constitutionalist based on his record. I'm also happy he's not much older than me. We've got some time to count on him keeping things in check (God willing).

I don't want to retire Roberts without first replacing Ginsberg. That's just me. She quits/croaks/wanders off the Res - and we get a Constitutional moderate, then John can play golf, not prior.

Agreed, we need the to shift a spot away from the libs.
Ghost

Postby sprigfan on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:40 am

Randygmn wrote:Also, the senate midterms stack up very badly for the Dems, as they have most of their contested seats in Red States were Trump won. It is very likely the GOP will hold the senate.

The problem you are overlooking is Trump' s 35% approval rating. That is historically bad for a new president.

Obviously there is plenty of time for things to change. If they don't, the states that voted for him could very well turn on him.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
sprigfan

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:36 pm

35% doesn't bothere me. The same sources predicted a landslide for Clinton, which gives you a feel for how the polling is skewed. The methodology for true , unbiased polling no longer exists -if it truly ever did exist.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby 2in2out on Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:11 pm

yukonjasper wrote:35% doesn't bothere me. The same sources predicted a landslide for Clinton, which gives you a feel for how the polling is skewed. The methodology for true , unbiased polling no longer exists -if it truly ever did exist.

Exactly. The same polls that predicted HRC's win are now saying he's got a poor approval rating. Not a good track record.

Trump is doing just fine - Scott Adams is right to call him a "master pursuader".

The nuclear/constitutional option can only be an advantage for Conservatives right now. The Democrats were complete idiots for letting it happen.

I sent the Franken-meister a letter saying he did a terrible job at the hearing (he did - it was embarrassing to watch him try to imitate Trey Gowdy and his performance was terrible). His response was that he didn't like Gorsuch, and the number 1 reason why was because the Republicans blocked Garland. There were other lame reasons, but that was listed first and it was obvious he held a grudge. That told me all I needed to know about how well he was listening to his constituents, and it made me think that the Dem's were all going to vote as a block. When a group of people can meet secretly and come up with a Master Plan, I expect something good (or bad, depending on whose side you're on). But, this was just plain dumb.

Gorsuch will be good, and I look forward to more Trump-nominated replacements in the next 7 years.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby Randygmn on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:00 pm

Gorsuch joined just in time. This Thursday, the court will decide specifically if they will hear the appeal of the 9th circuit decision, regarding Peruta in California. This would be the most important 2A case since heller. And of course, his voice will matter in choosing if they hear this case at all. We will know pretty suddenly where he stands on the 2A.
Randygmn

Previous

Return to Politics