Gorsuch is in.

Firearms related political discussion forum

Gorsuch is in.

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:04 pm

What do you expect now that he is on board? Can we expect leaps and bounds for the Second Amendment?

Who is expected to be the next Justice to retire or expire?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Gorsuch is in.

Postby Ghost on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:01 pm

Need Ginsberg to tip over or Kennedy to step down before they will push anything of substance. IMO
Ghost

Postby jdege on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:09 pm

When are the orals scheduled for Peruta?
jdege

Postby harryset on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:29 pm

I like that he's in, but I'm afraid that we are now totally F'd up. Using the Nuclear option for this now guarantees that whoever has the majority control can run roughshod over everyone else. You will never be able to oppose another Supreme Court justice, all nominations will be push button installs.
stercus accidit
It's not the LAWS you necessarily have to worry about, it's how the laws are regulated.

Send Me
harryset

Postby BigDog58 on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:09 pm

harryset wrote:I like that he's in, but I'm afraid that we are now totally F'd up. Using the Nuclear option for this now guarantees that whoever has the majority control can run roughshod over everyone else. You will never be able to oppose another Supreme Court justice, all nominations will be push button installs.

I guess that means WE have to do OUR part and put the RIGHT people in D.C. From the President to the Senate.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Ghost on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:29 pm

harryset wrote:I like that he's in, but I'm afraid that we are now totally F'd up. Using the Nuclear option for this now guarantees that whoever has the majority control can run roughshod over everyone else. You will never be able to oppose another Supreme Court justice, all nominations will be push button installs.

And just how would we prevent Dems from doing it to us down the road when things reverse? Better to get who we want through because the nuclear option is definitely getting used.
Ghost

Postby sprigfan on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:54 pm

Yep. Be careful what you wish for, because this could burn Republicans badly in the future. Now that they are in power, they could really feel the pain in the next election or two unless people see real progress. That's how it usually goes.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
sprigfan

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:49 pm

Right, cause the dems would have respected our position if the roles were reversed. Some people need to wake the eff up
Holland&Holland

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:23 am

Alan Gura didn't sound too hopeful back in Sept.

The Court after Scalia: The next “conservative” Justice may not save the Second Amendment
A sober assessment of the Second Amendment’s present status must precede any attempt at predicting a “conservative” Supreme Court nominee’s impact on the Second Amendment’s future. Well before Justice Antonin Scalia’s passing, judges figured out that District of Columbia v. Heller and McDonald v. City of Chicago are optional precedents. For all their powerful content, these decisions have in practice proven meaningless in the face of near-total resistance throughout the federal courts, in combination with the transparent lack of interest at One First Street in defending the Supreme Court’s eponymous position atop the judicial hierarchy. To be sure, some judges seek to apply Heller and McDonald in resolving Second Amendment disputes. But most treat the Supreme Court’s precedent as a hassle to surmount before rubber-stamping any legislative restriction on the right to bear arms. If not today, then very soon, it shouldn’t be too hard for any sufficiently dedicated and creative legislature to effectively ban firearms or just about any firearm-related activity, without worrying much about Heller. Appointing one “conservative” Justice to replace Antonin Scalia won’t improve matters. Indeed, “conservative” judges are part of the problem.

more...http://www.scotusblog.com/2016/09/the-court-after-scalia-the-next-conservative-justice-may-not-save-the-second-amendment/
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:25 am

Double tap.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Ghost on Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:30 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Alan Gura didn't sound too hopeful back in Sept.

The Court after Scalia: The next “conservative” Justice may not save the Second Amendment
A sober assessment of the Second Amendment’s present status must precede any attempt at predicting a “conservative” Supreme Court nominee’s impact on the Second Amendment’s future. Well before Justice Antonin Scalia’s passing, judges figured out that District of Columbia v. Heller and McDonald v. City of Chicago are optional precedents. For all their powerful content, these decisions have in practice proven meaningless in the face of near-total resistance throughout the federal courts, in combination with the transparent lack of interest at One First Street in defending the Supreme Court’s eponymous position atop the judicial hierarchy. To be sure, some judges seek to apply Heller and McDonald in resolving Second Amendment disputes. But most treat the Supreme Court’s precedent as a hassle to surmount before rubber-stamping any legislative restriction on the right to bear arms. If not today, then very soon, it shouldn’t be too hard for any sufficiently dedicated and creative legislature to effectively ban firearms or just about any firearm-related activity, without worrying much about Heller. Appointing one “conservative” Justice to replace Antonin Scalia won’t improve matters. Indeed, “conservative” judges are part of the problem.

more...http://www.scotusblog.com/2016/09/the-court-after-scalia-the-next-conservative-justice-may-not-save-the-second-amendment/

Did he mention who he would pick? The Ted Nugent types would be difficult to nominate with a straight face.
Ghost

Gorsuch is in.

Postby INOR on Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:45 am

Remember how everyone thought Roberts would be a hugely conservative appointment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby Ghost on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:39 am

INOR wrote:Remember how everyone thought Roberts would be a hugely conservative appointment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We also didn't realize the Obama admin would later surveil him.

Chief Justice John Roberts of the Supreme Court was targeted, along with Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg, 156 other judges, U.S. Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky, and prominent businessmen.

http://radaronline.com/videos/president-donald-trump-surveillance-evidence-scandal-obama-james-comey/
Last edited by Ghost on Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost

Re:

Postby jdege on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:43 am

sprigfan wrote:Yep. Be careful what you wish for, because this could burn Republicans badly in the future. Now that they are in power, they could really feel the pain in the next election or two unless people see real progress. That's how it usually goes.

I really don't see it.

I think the Dems were stupid, to filibuster Gorsuch, because it is by no means certain that the GOP could have achieved the votes to invoke the nuclear option on a more controversial candidate the next time around.

But I don't think that the GOP is stupid, to invoke the nuclear option now, because it's clear that the Dems would have, no matter what the GOP did.
jdege

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:02 pm

WTF to people want? Should we have let the Dems choose the nominee?

Seriously, they got it done, period, at least they finally accomplished something.
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to Politics