Springfield Armory and Rock River cut a deal w/Illinois

Firearms related political discussion forum

Postby karlobag on Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:46 pm

NRA Life Member
NRA RSO

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
karlobag

Re: Springfield Armory and Rock River cut a deal w/Illinois

Postby jdege on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:16 pm

If the suits at SA and RRA were considering such a deal, and are backing out because they're beginning to realize just how suicidal it well be, I say we let them back out.

Let them have the opportunity to realize they were on the edge of a drastic mistake and correct course.
jdege

Postby Randygmn on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:34 pm

jdege wrote:If the suits at SA and RRA were considering such a deal, and are backing out because they're beginning to realize just how suicidal it well be, I say we let them back out.

Let them have the opportunity to realize they were on the edge of a drastic mistake and correct course.

They have NOT backed out of the deal. In fact, it only passed the senate because of their position. They've limited all Illinois citizens to only 9 transfers per year. All small dealers will now suffer because of red tape that SA and RRA are now exempted from.
Randygmn

Postby Dill on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:09 am

before hanging anyone, I'm going to see how this plays out before getting too worked up.
Dill

Postby Ghost on Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:53 am

Dill wrote:before hanging anyone, I'm going to see how this plays out before getting too worked up.

Sounds like if they hadn't have gotten on board it wouldn't have passed the senate. They had no reason to play this card even if it were to go nowhere.

"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin
Ghost

Postby goett047 on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:48 am

Dill wrote:before hanging anyone, I'm going to see how this plays out before getting too worked up.

They are pro more regulation for everyone but themselves. That's what they have shown.
To be clear, the original version of SB-1657 did not exempt manufacturers from the licensing regulations. At the time, Jay Keller and IFMA opposed it.
At a March Senate hearing, however, Keller stated that IFMA would drop its opposition to SB-1657 and go neutral if legislators gave the state’s gun makers a pass. State Senator Don Harmon delivered on his end of the deal with an amendment exempting big box stores and manufacturers from this scheme.
With that amendment, IFMA dropped its opposition to the bill
goett047

Postby jdege on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:13 am

goett047 wrote:

They are pro more regulation for everyone but themselves. That's what they have shown.
To be clear, the original version of SB-1657 did not exempt manufacturers from the licensing regulations. At the time, Jay Keller and IFMA opposed it.
At a March Senate hearing, however, Keller stated that IFMA would drop its opposition to SB-1657 and go neutral if legislators gave the state’s gun makers a pass. State Senator Don Harmon delivered on his end of the deal with an amendment exempting big box stores and manufacturers from this scheme.

And if they change their stance, and oppose the bill in the House, I'll forgive them.
jdege

Postby Randygmn on Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:54 pm

jdege wrote:
goett047 wrote:

And if they change their stance, and oppose the bill in the House, I'll forgive them.

They've faced a ton of in person backlash this weekend at the NRA show. If they reverse course, it's only because they were caught. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I have already seen what Springfield is all about. They made those decisions when they thought folks weren't looking. That's who they are. IMO, its unforgivable.
Randygmn

Postby cobb on Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:23 pm

Maybe they should do what Les Baer did.
He moved to Iowa, expanded his operation and hired a few more employees because of the friendly work environment.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby Ghost on Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:30 pm

cobb wrote:Maybe they should do what Les Baer did.
He moved to Iowa, expanded his operation and hired a few more employees because of the friendly work environment.

Seems a bit late for that now, I don't see them coming off the blacklist without major reorganization.
Ghost

Postby Randygmn on Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:21 pm

Ghost wrote:

Seems a bit late for that now, I don't see them coming off the blacklist without major reorganization.

It's one thing, and still bad enough, to get a business advantage over your competitors, but it's another to throw the citizens under the bus. If this legislation passes, the laws restricting 9 firearms per year will never be reversed. And, it will be a victory for Bloomberg who will then take it as a mandate to spread it to as many states as he can. And yes, Springfield armory is responsible for that. They MUST be boycotted into bankruptcy. Apparently, as far as Springfield is concerned, some infringement is acceptable.
Randygmn

Postby goett047 on Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:46 pm

Randygmn wrote:
Ghost wrote:

It's one thing, and still bad enough, to get a business advantage over your competitors, but it's another to throw the citizens under the bus. If this legislation passes, the laws restricting 9 firearms per year will never be reversed. And, it will be a victory for Bloomberg who will then take it as a mandate to spread it to as many states as he can. And yes, Springfield armory is responsible for that. They MUST be boycotted into bankruptcy. Apparently, as far as Springfield is concerned, some infringement is acceptable.

I would hope a transfer limit would be overturned in court....
goett047

Postby LumberZach on Mon May 01, 2017 6:19 am

If either company cared about their customer base or the 2nd amendment they would have strongly and publicly come out against this rather than backing it privately. I boycott more companies for less, so these two are being added to the list. I will do all I can to convince people not to support them, and hopefully the companies will notice and support us further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby Randygmn on Mon May 01, 2017 6:35 am

LumberZach wrote:If either company cared about their customer base or the 2nd amendment they would have strongly and publicly come out against this rather than backing it privately. I boycott more companies for less, so these two are being added to the list. I will do all I can to convince people not to support them, and hopefully the companies will notice and support us further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The TTAG website really pushed this story out there. You'll be glad to hear that in the comment sections, it's around 100 to 1 who feel like we do. Better still, you'd be surprised (I was) to read how many FFL's and dealers publicly (not anonymously, but with their real names) came out to say they'd never carry or promote Springfield and RRA ever again. These 2 companies need to be made an example of and punished into bankruptcy, if for no other reason as a cautionary tale for other would be future sell outs.
Randygmn

Postby Ghost on Mon May 01, 2017 5:51 pm

They responded, acting like they didn't know what was going on but not breaking ties with their group or lobbyist.
Ghost

Next

Return to Politics