The NRA Shuns a Second Amendment Martyr

Firearms related political discussion forum

Postby jdege on Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:18 pm

Philando Castile died because he exercised his right to bear arms.
http://reason.com/archives/2017/06/21/the-nra-shuns-a-second-amendment-martyr
Philando Castile did what you are supposed to do if you have a concealed-carry permit and get pulled over by police: He let the officer know he had a gun. Had Castile been less forthcoming, he would still be alive.

Last Friday a Minnesota jury acquitted the cop who killed Castile of second-degree manslaughter, demonstrating once again how hard it is to hold police accountable when they use unnecessary force. The verdict also sends a chilling message to gun owners, since Castile is dead because he exercised his constitutional right to keep and bear arms.
jdege

Re: The NRA Shuns a Second Amendment Martyr

Postby atomic41 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:41 pm

jdege wrote:The NRA Shuns a Second Amendment Martyr
Philando Castile died because he exercised his right to bear arms.
http://reason.com/archives/2017/06/21/the-nra-shuns-a-second-amendment-martyr
Philando Castile did what you are supposed to do if you have a concealed-carry permit and get pulled over by police: He let the officer know he had a gun. Had Castile been less forthcoming, he would still be alive.

Last Friday a Minnesota jury acquitted the cop who killed Castile of second-degree manslaughter, demonstrating once again how hard it is to hold police accountable when they use unnecessary force. The verdict also sends a chilling message to gun owners, since Castile is dead because he exercised his constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

A martyr? LOL, there's a hot take from hell. A guy who tells the cop he has a gun, then won't stop reaching for it when being told to stop is now a martyr? :roll: Holy cow this is stupid. He absolutely did NOT "do what you are supposed to do". If he did, every PTC instructor would teach you to tell the cop you have a gun, then reach around and just ignore if the cop starts screaming at you to stop. What a load of BS.

I suppose he now joins St. Trayvon of the Blessed Hoodie.
atomic41

Postby hard h2o on Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:52 pm

With all the traffic stops he had had you would think he would have the routine down. I wonder if the supposed drugs in his system clouded his thinking? That is something he neglected to disclose on his permit application.
hard h2o

Postby mmcnx2 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:02 pm

NO, he died because he was stupid in front of the wrong person. A few months ago we had an idiot on plane disobey a police order he got forcibly removed from the plane. Then you have this idiot when told to stop just keeps moving. Do stupid stuff and eventually it catches up with you. He did a bunch of stupid stuff and it caught up with him. Darwin theory at work.
mmcnx2

Postby BigBlue on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:13 pm

Carrying while under the influence? Not exactly a poster child for 2A. Not everyone who owns or 'carries' a firearm is a worthy 2A advocate.
BigBlue

Postby LarryP on Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:45 pm

With his criminal history, how did he even get a carry permit?
LarryP

Postby jdege on Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:51 am

LarryP wrote:With his criminal history, how did he even get a carry permit?

I'm aware he had any criminal history.

He certainly had a lot of traffic citations, but they aren't crimes.
jdege

Postby MJY65 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:59 am

I sure as heck don't want the NRA using this as an example of the "law abiding PTC holder". There was a dang jar of weed on the seat.
MJY65

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:44 am

I agree, the Left would like to shame the 2A groups by forcing us to "claim" him as one of ours. Serves two purposes:
- he is accepted and they can point to the irresponsible gun owners and carriers
- we don't accept him and we are racist

They are setting the agenda by writing the narrative of the post action climate around the right to carry. Ignore the fringe Left baiting and move on. The further from the event, the more the facts will be ignored and the event will be rewritten to suit the cause. They are already setting it up by completely ignoring and bypassing most of the facts present in the moments before the shooting. Give it some time and all that will be "fact" is that a cop pulled over a brother for no reason and shot him dead with his baby and baby mama in the car - stone cold - murder.

I hadn't heard about the jar of Weed on the seat, new to me, but hey, I guess that is unremarkable in some areas of society. Just like rolling stop signs, exceeding the speed limit, driving with inoperable tail lights and driving under the influence of drugs. When all of that is "normal" who are you to call it out as a reason for a police stop, its normal, so why is the Cop pulling someone over for it.

I can tell you that the first time I saw the Diamond Reynolds video, I thought she looked Stoned.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby MJY65 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:30 am

yukonjasper wrote:I hadn't heard about the jar of Weed on the seat, new to me, but hey, I guess that is unremarkable in some areas of society.

It's shown in one of the evidence photos that BCA released the other day.
MJY65

Postby atomic41 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:33 pm

She admitted to being high and the toxicology report on Castille showed it. We should not let this be the example of a PTC holder doing ANYTHING right. He literally did everything wrong and paid the ultimate price. This is a textbook example of what not to do. You can argue all day long about Yanez over reacting or not but what led to Yanez's response was Castille doing everything wrong.
atomic41

Postby PileDriver on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:52 pm

I offer no opinion about the Philando case... However- Why the crap do people completely dismiss that Colion Noir has been on the Philando defensive since July? Do you really need to hear something from Wayne himself? Is the NRA official twitter account somehow better than an NRA spokesman with his own f***ing NRA show?
PileDriver

Postby jdege on Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:33 am

https://www.facebook.com/COLIONNOIR/posts/1386059818110438
Philando Castile Should Be Alive Today My Open Letter

"What the ****! What the ****! What the ****!”. We were four black teens in a ******* station wagon looking for a place to play basketball until we realized we were lost. All I can hear is my best friend in the backseat yelling over and over again, “What the ****! What the ****! What the ****!” and the cop outside of the station wagon with his gun pointed directly at me yelling, “Don’t **** move, roll the window down, don’t **** move!"
We pulled up next to a parked cop car to ask him for directions. When we realized there was no one in the car, we reversed to leave, but before my friend could put the vehicle in drive, a cop jumps out of a van next to the police car with his gun pointed right at me. To this day I still feel a little guilty about the relief I felt when the cop made his way from my side to the driver side of the car and pointed the gun inches away from my friends head instead of mine.

My friend's eyes were closed, and his hands were straight up. I could see the gun inches from his temple. My friend rambled, "we're lost, we're lost, directions, directions, we just wanted directions." My friend in the back seat was still yelling. I just stared at the gun waiting for my life to change forever.

Eventually, everything was sorted out, but the whole ordeal messed me up. We were good kids who never got in any trouble. All we wanted to do was ask for directions. I couldn’t understand why the cop felt so threatened by us. I remember asking myself, If we were four white teens would he have acted the same way? I don’t know, but the fact that I have to ask that question at such an age should tell you something.

I despise race baiting. Race baiting cheapens and undermines every legitimate cry of racial injustice and breeds a sense of apathy in people who would otherwise be sympathetic to such cries but feel the discussion of race is a zero-sum game they can never win.

However, there is also a problem with some people in this country dismissing racism wholesale when it isn't overt racial slurs or crosses burning on front lawns. Covert racism is a real thing and is very dangerous. Covert racism works the same way anti-gunners use coded language to push gun control. They say common sense gun measures, but we know what they really mean. We gun advocates spend our time trying to prove to the people that they don't just want background checks they want to ban guns. The problem is, they don't come right out and say,"give me all your guns" so no one believes us, but we know the effects are incredibly real. That's what covert racism is and does.

In The case of officer Jeronimo Yanez, I don’t feel he woke up that day wanting to shoot a black person. However, I keep asking myself, would he have done the same thing if Philando were white? As I put on my Monday morning quarterback Jersey, it is my opinion that Philando Castile should be alive today. I believe there was a better way to handle the initial stop. If he suspected Philando was a suspect in a robbery, there were ways to conduct that stop in a way that would have completely avoided the shooting altogether, but Yanez neglected to do so.
Beyond that point, things get a little fuzzy for me. Other than Yanez's testimony, there is nothing I read about the trial or any newly revealed facts to suggest that Philando was going for his gun. However, I don’t know what Yanez saw that made him think Philando was going for the gun, I wasn’t there, and I only have his words to go by. Sadly, Philando isn't here to tell us other than his last dying statement of, “I wasn’t reaching for it”.

Personally, I feel because Yanez pulled Philando over under the suspicion that he was a robbery suspect coupled with the presence of a gun, it put Yanez in a heightened state. I feel he lost control of his wits and overreacted. This now brings me to the question of race. Do I think Yanez felt threatened by the fact that Philando was black? It's very possible Yanez was indifferent about Philando's race. However, because of the negative stereotype reinforced in the media about black men and guns, it wouldn't completely surprise me if Yanez felt more threatened by Philando because he was black. This is the same negative stereotype that I've been trying to combat for years now.

Legally, I'm left asking myself, was Yanez failing to conduct a proper felony stop reckless or negligent enough to warrant a Second Degree Manslaughter conviction? As a lawyer, I'm hard pressed to think so. But the young black male in me says hell yes. Admittedly, I don’t have all the facts the jury had; I didn’t hear the testimony the jury heard. Maybe after hearing his testimony they believe Yanez honestly felt his life was in danger and justifiably so. However, I have to be honest and say, he shouldn’t be able to just walk away freely without legal consequence I just don't know what that consequence should be.

I so badly wanted to keep race out of this. There are so many professional race baiters who thrive on and become rich from increasing the racial divide in this country. Because of this racial opportunism, it makes it hard to call out the more insidious elements of racism in this country vs. the isolated incidences where race doesn't play a factor. Then again, considering other examples where "race" was legitimately a factor In previous shootings, I think it would be irresponsible not to consider race as a possible motive in this shooting.

All that being said, Philando Should be alive today. In my eyes, Yanez screwed up big time. I don’t feel he was out to take a black life that day, but it doesn’t matter because his actions cost Phliando his life. My legal mind can see why they couldn’t get to Manslaughter in the Second Degree based solely on the facts at hand, but Yanez walking away from this case a free and clear man is just wrong.

------------
jdege

Postby karlobag on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:41 am

NRA Life Member
NRA RSO

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
karlobag

Return to Politics