Philando Castile Video Shows a Cop Who Panicked and Killed a

Firearms related political discussion forum

Postby jdege on Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:23 pm

Philando Castile Video Shows a Cop Who Panicked and Killed an Innocent Man
Officer Jeronimo Yanez's claim that he saw Castile drawing a gun is utterly implausible.
http://reason.com/blog/2017/06/21/philando-castile-video-shows-a-cop-who-p
Much has been made of the fact that the dashcam video of the July 6, 2016, traffic stop in which Philando Castile was killed, which was finally released to the public yesterday, does not show what was going on inside his car—in particular, where he was reaching and for what. Jeronimo Yanez, the St. Anthony, Minnesota, police officer who shot Castile, initially said he thought Castile was reaching for a gun. Later he claimed to have seen Castile pulling out the pistol, which was found in a pocket of his shorts. Notwithstanding the gap in the video record, which the jurors who acquitted Yanez of second-degree manslaughter last week evidently thought was enough to create reasonable doubt, his story is utterly implausible.
jdege

Postby INOR on Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:56 pm

Well reasoned article, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Re: Philando Castile Video Shows a Cop Who Panicked and Killed a

Postby Steve_G on Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:37 pm

I feel the article too was well written, but a fact was missed. The driver of the car and his passenger were under the influence of marijuana and may not have acted reasonably.

Like my instructor told me....you know you are pulled over, and what will be needed. Get your id, carry permit and insurance card out, place them on the dash. Interior lights on, radio off, windows open, hands at 10 and 2.
Follow all instructions, with slow movements, telling the office what you are doing in a calm, respectful voice.

Had he done this, we would be not having this conversation.

My $.02
________
Steve_G
Steve_G

Postby Lumpy on Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:57 pm

My solution: have two cops conduct all stops. The one who talks to the detainee is unarmed and dressed in a bomb suit. The other stands back covering them with a submachine gun. :mrgreen:
Lumpy

Postby jdege on Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:04 pm

Steve_G wrote:I feel the article too was well written, but a fact was missed. The driver of the car and his passenger were under the influence of marijuana and may not have acted reasonably.

Given what I know, I'd say I think it more likely that Yanez panicked than that Castile did something stupid.

But "more likely" isn't "beyond a reasonable doubt".

I'd have voted to acquit.
jdege

Postby UnaStamus on Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:30 pm

Lumpy wrote:My solution: have two cops conduct all stops. The one who talks to the detainee is unarmed and dressed in a bomb suit. The other stands back covering them with a submachine gun. :mrgreen:

Can't we just go full belt-fed?
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby Ghost on Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:58 pm

UnaStamus wrote:
Lumpy wrote:My solution: have two cops conduct all stops. The one who talks to the detainee is unarmed and dressed in a bomb suit. The other stands back covering them with a submachine gun. :mrgreen:

Can't we just go full belt-fed?

Unnecessary, Yanez was more than capable as equipped.
Ghost

Return to Politics