And Now It's Tony Cornish To Be Burned At The Stake

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: And Now It's Tony Cornish To Be Burned At The Stake

Postby MJY65 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:57 am

Ghost wrote:Not seeing why that matters, I never implied anything past inappropriate conversation doesn't matter gay or straight.

Sorry. I thought you were saying it was a consensual relationship that went bad.
MJY65

Postby BigBlue on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:23 am

MJY65 wrote:
Squib Joe wrote:Moral of the story is that you shouldn't compliment a woman on her appearance, ever. )

Well, you definitely shouldn't do it via electronic media that will survive forever and be used against you when the recipient sees fit.

But when folks are willing to claim all sorts of things about what was said in private conversations (with no media involved) then even that doesn't help. One of the folks accusing Cornish brought up something she said he said in a meeting in his office, which is pretty darn hard to believe given what I know of him ("you can't leave, I've got a raging boner"). Obviously if you put it in an e-mail or text it can live forever and be proven, but these days anyone can make up anything and it will be accepted.

The other troubling thing is that everyone seems SO willing to accept all these claims and take real action on them before anything concrete has been established. Such as gov. goofy and others calling on Schoen to resign, speaker pulling Cornish's chairmanship, Netflix dumping Spacey and his show. Those are all valid responses AFTER claims have been substantiated. Before that, they are not appropriate.
BigBlue

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:48 am

when it comes to this topic, accusations of racism, any type of victimization of a "protected" or "vulnerable" class of people, the concept of due process is thrown out the window. The mere suggestion of impropriety is enough to cast a shadow over a persons character. It is next to impossible to prove something didn't happen in a he said/she said scenario. That dynamic has been set up to "protect the victim" since the only reason they didn't speak out prior, supposedly, is that they didn't think anyone would believe them. So now when anyone speaks up, we have to believe them to prove that its worth speaking up. The death of common sense and due process are the result.

I don't know when it happened, but somehow freedom of speech stops when someone could be offended or an inference of impropriety is present. You automatically forfeit your rights if someone decides you crossed a line that you may or may not have known was there.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Rotary12 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:45 am

Rep. Erin Maye Quade Is pulling the "look at me" move. Her predecessor was involved in a sex scandal so she must have figured that she needed to be too. Just my biased opinion.
Rotary12

Liberate the U.S.
Support the Constitution
Remember 19 April 1775
Rotary12

Postby Squib Joe on Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:02 pm

BigBlue wrote:One of the folks accusing Cornish brought up something she said he said in a meeting in his office, which is pretty darn hard to believe given what I know of him ("you can't leave, I've got a raging boner")

At that point, wouldn't you leave his office and go straight to Capitol security or call the St Paul Police and file charges? Instead she waits SEVEN years to bring it up. Huh.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby xd ED on Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:19 pm

rtk wrote:Seismic Sam thinks Ttootsie is good looking...do you think he will be the next one to get in trouble?

Sam?... or Ttootsie?? :shock:
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby INOR on Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:24 pm

Squib Joe wrote:
BigBlue wrote:One of the folks accusing Cornish brought up something she said he said in a meeting in his office, which is pretty darn hard to believe given what I know of him ("you can't leave, I've got a raging boner")

At that point, wouldn't you leave his office and go straight to Capitol security or call the St Paul Police and file charges? Instead she waits SEVEN years to bring it up. Huh.

No, that's the problem. Sexual harassment usually involves an element of power. She was involved in lobbying activities. Her livelihood was dependent upon her relationship with him. He had the power. She didn't.
INOR

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:43 pm

No power except expose him and have him publicly humiliated -you mean she chose to remain silent, if it did happen at all, out of her own self interests. If there had,actually been any harm, I would assume she would act. I have a hard time with words being so powerful as to cause lasting damage. There is no right,that I know of, to go through life without suffering fools, jack asses, vulgarity and buffonery. I would argue that who you are is defined by whether you are one of those people or how you react to those people
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:23 pm

yukonjasper wrote:No power except expose him and have him publicly humiliated -you mean she chose to remain silent, if it did happen at all, out of her own self interests. If there had,actually been any harm, I would assume she would act. I have a hard time with words being so powerful as to cause lasting damage. There is no right,that I know of, to go through life without suffering fools, jack asses, vulgarity and buffonery. I would argue that who you are is defined by whether you are one of those people or how you react to those people

Bingo, assuming truth
Ghost

And Now It's Tony Cornish To Be Burned At The Stake

Postby INOR on Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:20 pm

Cornish isn't denying any of it, fellas. He's basically admitting to harassing them but saying that he didn't understand that he was harassing them. He needs to resign. So does the Schoen guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby rtk on Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:30 pm

[quote="INOR"]Cornish isn't denying any of it, fellas. He's basically admitting to harassing them but saying that he didn't understand that he was harassing them. He needs to resign.

I disagree.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby BigDog58 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:26 pm

What troubles me about this WHOLE Issue, is the fact that in nearly all of the cases of people saying they were "sexually harassed", is that the Accused, has not had their day in court. They have been Convicted by the media and the public, without any sort of trial.

In this country, our laws are based on the principle that we are "Innocent, until Proven Guilty, in a court of law". These claimants, have made their claim for media and public distribution, but have not proven their claim, while under oath, in a court. The Accused, have not had the ability to cross examine the claimant, nor required the claimants to show tangible proof of their claims.

What is happening now, in the "Me too" media circus, is individuals are losing their jobs, or their reputations, without due justice. If it were you, and this occurred, wouldn't you want your "day in court"? Also, how would any of us deal with this, if these claims were made against us, and we were "Tried and Convicted" by "Popular Opinion", prior to us having our right to face our accuser in court?

As a for-instance, I had a high school buddy that was accused of committing similar "atrocities" over 40 years ago, at a high school party. His accuser put it out all over Facebook, and other social media. He was nearly ruined, and nearly lost his 30+ year marriage over it. The accuser finally retracted her statements, after many people that were at the party, came to his defense (both male and female). It turned out that the accuser was an old girlfriend, that still harbored resentment 40 yrs later, for him breaking up with her, one week before the party. It took him a long time to regain his dignity and reputation, and the accuser never faced any repercussions for her acts. This could happen to any one of us be it male, or female.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Squib Joe on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:32 pm

INOR wrote:Sexual harassment usually involves an element of power. She was involved in lobbying activities. Her livelihood was dependent upon her relationship with him. He had the power. She didn't.

This is why we have a civil and criminal justice system - to protect those without power.

And it is the duty of a victim to file a report as soon as possible, and to assist law enforcement in any way possible. A moral duty as a citizen of this country.

But instead, this anonymous person chose to describe a real or imagined offense to the media many years after it supposedly happened. He deserved a day in court to defend himself, but instead gets to be summarily sentenced in the court of public opinion.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby xd ED on Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:23 pm

INOR wrote:Cornish isn't denying any of it, fellas. He's basically admitting to harassing them but saying that he didn't understand that he was harassing them. He needs to resign. So does the Schoen guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As best I can determine, the woman lobbyist accusing Cornish of the most serious incidents won't even publicly identify herself...and this being many years after the fact.

There needs to be something substantiated, far beyond the knee-jerk court of public opinion, based on anonymous allegations, before we ruin someone's life.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby ttousi on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:43 pm

rtk wrote:Seismic Sam thinks Ttootsie is good looking...do you think he will be the next one to get in trouble?

:hmm:
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

PreviousNext

Return to Politics