GOCRA Urgent Alert 2/20/18

Firearms related political discussion forum

Postby BigBlue on Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:46 pm

Copied from GOCRA's recent Facebook post:

ALERT -- ALERT -- ALERT ACT NOW. IMMEDIATELY.

From our friends at MGOC.

We've received word that anti-gun DFL leaders in the Minnesota House will attempt to vote to suspend the rules today as the legislature gavels into session and pass gun control efforts from the house floor:

No committee hearings
No reasoned, mature, public debate
No chance for gun owners like you and I to present facts to counter their arguments
They're just going to attempt to RAM IT THROUGH!

You can watch a brief, 4 minute Facebook Video from me with a little more context at this link.

I need you to pick up the phone this morning and do two things to ensure this is stopped by our allies in the Minnesota House - and the Senate in case its tried there.

Call your State Representative: Let them know you do not support new gun control initiatives - and any legislation should go through the committee vetting process with opportunity for public input. No suspension of the rules to ram through an anti-gun agenda!

Call your State Senator: Let them know you do not support new gun control initiatives - and any legislation should go through the committee vetting process with opportunity for public input. No suspension of the rules to ram through an anti-gun agenda!

You can find out who represents you at this link. https://www.leg.state.mn.us/leg/districtfinder
BigBlue

Re: GOCRA Urgent Alert 2/20/18

Postby JJ on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:15 pm

The House session has already closed today.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:26 pm

Anyone know if this suspension of rules happened and did something happen to usurp the process?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:29 pm

Damn DFL
Ghost

Postby MJY65 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:42 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Anyone know if this suspension of rules happened and did something happen to usurp the process?

I don't know, but why in the heck would the Republicans allow it? They still control both houses.
MJY65

Postby BigBlue on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:46 pm

GOCRA FB update says nothing happened today but to make sure to call your legislators before Thursday's session.

The antis are serious right now. They even turned out more than then normal 3-4 angry action-deprived moms to chant at folks in the hallways.

BB
BigBlue

Postby BigBlue on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:47 pm

JJ wrote:The House session has already closed today.

Still important to contact your folks... This isn't over.
BigBlue

Postby BigBlue on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:48 pm

MJY65 wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:Anyone know if this suspension of rules happened and did something happen to usurp the process?

I don't know, but why in the heck would the Republicans allow it? They still control both houses.

Seems like there may be some wavering by R's due to the emotional hoopla.
BigBlue

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:48 pm

BigBlue wrote:GOCRA FB update says nothing happened today but to make sure to call your legislators before Thursday's session.

The antis are serious right now. They even turned out more than then normal 3-4 angry action-deprived moms to chant at folks in the hallways.

BB

Sharks to blood in the water, hoping to take advantage of the situation.
Ghost

Postby BigBlue on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:49 pm

Ghost wrote:Sharks to blood in the water, hoping to take advantage of the situation.

Yep. And you better believe they've had crap like this staged and planned in minute detail for years now, just waiting until the next tragedy to strike while the blood is still flowing. They may be irrational in their demands but they have organization and backing.
BigBlue

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:55 pm

just to cover the bases I sent a note to all who represent me.

I do not support efforts to introduce legislation that would further curtail the 2nd Amendment Right to Bear Arms. Understanding the emotion around current events and the overwhelming urge to "DO SOMETHING", I do not support knee jerk legislation that does not take into account all avenues of the situation. To that end, a measured, non-emotional analysis which includes public input should be employed. Reasonable people can disagree on an issue but there needs to be the means and the time to have that discussion.

Thank you for your time.

It is entirely possible that they may try it when no one is looking. There also needs to be some vigilance on what bills may be up for vote to which language may be attached. I'm sure there are groups watching for that.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Lumpy on Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:25 pm

Given that my district is so blue my representatives may have once attacked Pepperland, I took a slightly different angle, since they're not likely to listen favorably to a plea against gun banning:

Rep. Lee,

It is with concern that I am informed that an effort was made to suspend the normal House rules, allowing legislation to be voted on summarily without the normal process of committee. The power of the legislature to enact laws affecting all Minnesotans and establishing criminal penalties for violation of these laws is a grave responsibility. Mark Twain is popularly quoted as saying "No man's life, liberty or property is safe when the legislature is in session". The public input that the committees provide is critical to ensuring that legislation meets with the broad approval of the citizens of Minnesota. We would not wish to emulate the late-Eighteenth century Federalists, who took the position that no one had any right to question a duly-passed law except by voting differently the next election. I urge you to refuse any call to make government less accountable to the people.
Lumpy

Postby silvor on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:18 pm

BigBlue wrote:GOCRA FB update says nothing happened today but to make sure to call your legislators before Thursday's session.

BB

Channel 4 said "a hundred"
Channel 5 said "hundreds"
silvor

Postby INOR on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:26 pm

We should be nervous as hell any time legislators on either side, Democrat or Republican, at the state or federal level do shifty things like set normal order aside as a means of expediently circumventing the process. I’ll write my representatives as well. But we’re hypocrites if we are against them setting aside normal order just in the situations which potentially hurt our own political cause. We should be screaming about it every time they try to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:32 pm

INOR wrote:We should be nervous as hell any time legislators on either side, Democrat or Republican, at the state or federal level do shifty things like set normal order aside as a means of expediently circumventing the process. I’ll write my representatives as well. But we’re hypocrites if we are against them setting aside normal order just in the situations which potentially hurt our own political cause. We should be screaming about it every time they try to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm content with them not doing anything except undoing the screw-ups of the past. Government is incapable of "fixing" anything.
Ghost

Next

Return to Politics