It begins: HF3022

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: It begins: HF3022

Postby bstrawse on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:27 am

vingrjoe wrote:Is there any point in emailing Rep. Slocum ? If she's a hardcore leftist like I think, based on her bill, what is the use of giving her FBI statistics such as Table 8, that show more murders happen with knives, hammers, improvised weapons, etc than with all rifles ?

Yes, write her. And your rep.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby bstrawse on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:28 am

Bearcatrp wrote:I see they didn't go after PTC. So if folks have a permit to carry, will that constitute we are able to own a assault weapon? Or will there be a completely different back ground check and waste more tax payers money?

HF 3022 has a completely different registration system - annual fee - annual background check - and so on.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby bstrawse on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:28 am

Jack's My dog wrote:I called Davnie's office today and spoke with his assistant to express my concern. He was of the opinion it will not see the light of day at least in "full". That said I think the call was worthwhile, if for nothing else than to let them know there are a few of us pro rights individuals in his district. I was on the fence about if I should call until I read the amendment. I would recommend everyone read the bill for yourself. I think the MNGOC email alert actually under sells the bill.

People always tell us our emails are too paranoid ;)
Bryan
bstrawse

Postby bstrawse on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:29 am

Ghost wrote:
MJY65 wrote:http://www.startribune.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-minnesota-s-gun-laws/474903103/

Nice summary

We helped with Star Tribune with this last week in terms of subject matter expertise - I think they did a really nice job.
bstrawse

Postby bstrawse on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:30 am

Bearcatrp wrote:
sansooshooter wrote:The more gun owners I tell about this bill, the more I hear that will never pass and that's crazy.
I am afraid gun owners are getting complacent and will not turn out the numbers to crush this bill.

I have said in multiple forums including this one. WE NEED TO ORGANIZE AND GO DOWN TO THE CAPITAL! Letters and phone calls are not enough. The anti's do it. WE need to do it. We need every pro 2A that want to keep there guns to attend! Do it peacefully, no rifles strapped to our backs, then go inside and tell out elected officials WERE WE STAND!Was hoping Gun Owners Caucus would put this together, with plenty of notice, and do this!

We are encouraging folks to come to the hearing - that's our focus right now. I'd rather folks do that than hold some kind of rally right now.
b
bstrawse

Postby mrp on Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:37 pm

mecra wrote:Forced gun registry, and that is all publicly available so everyone will know what guns you actually own

I need some help on this one. This is in the bill:

Section 1. Minnesota Statutes 2016, section 13.87, subdivision 2, is amended to read:
Subd. 2. Firearms data. All data pertaining to the purchase or transfer of firearms, the
possession of assault weapons, and applications for permits to carry firearms which that are
collected by government entities pursuant to sections 624.712 to 624.719 are private, pursuant
to section 13.02, subdivision 12
data on individuals.

note: I have not highlighted additions to the text, but have noted proposed deletions by making them red.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=13.02

13.02 says that "private data on individuals" means:

§Subd. 12.Private data on individuals. "Private data on individuals" are data made by statute or federal law applicable to the data: (a) not public; and (b) accessible to the individual subject of those data.

If I'm reading that correctly, you can get a copy of your own record, but nobody else can. Is that right?

Does the deletion of the reference to 13.02 in the bill mean that they are going to try and redefine "private data on individuals" to mean what they want it to mean, and that it'll mean the data is public, or am I misunderstanding this entirely.

Thanks in advance.
mrp

Postby bstrawse on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:56 am

Bearcatrp wrote:I see they didn't go after PTC. So if folks have a permit to carry, will that constitute we are able to own a assault weapon? Or will there be a completely different back ground check and waste more tax payers money?

It will be a completely separate registration and fee.
bstrawse

Postby bstrawse on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:57 am

mrp wrote:
mecra wrote:Forced gun registry, and that is all publicly available so everyone will know what guns you actually own

I need some help on this one. This is in the bill:

Section 1. Minnesota Statutes 2016, section 13.87, subdivision 2, is amended to read:
Subd. 2. Firearms data. All data pertaining to the purchase or transfer of firearms, the
possession of assault weapons, and applications for permits to carry firearms which that are
collected by government entities pursuant to sections 624.712 to 624.719 are private, pursuant
to section 13.02, subdivision 12
data on individuals.

note: I have not highlighted additions to the text, but have noted proposed deletions by making them red.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=13.02

13.02 says that "private data on individuals" means:

§Subd. 12.Private data on individuals. "Private data on individuals" are data made by statute or federal law applicable to the data: (a) not public; and (b) accessible to the individual subject of those data.

If I'm reading that correctly, you can get a copy of your own record, but nobody else can. Is that right?

Does the deletion of the reference to 13.02 in the bill mean that they are going to try and redefine "private data on individuals" to mean what they want it to mean, and that it'll mean the data is public, or am I misunderstanding this entirely.

Thanks in advance.

This will make all data held by government about gun owners public.

All data - the registrations, your permits, etc.
bstrawse

Postby andrewP on Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:12 pm

bstrawse wrote:This will make all data held by government about gun owners public.

All data - the registrations, your permits, etc.

I'm completely against HF3022, but assuming the post you responded to quoted it correctly, my reading of it is that it still says the data it refers to is private. What am I missing about the wording which would make that data public?
andrewP

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:09 am

Is she filing this today? If so, did she file the sneaky way pinto did last week?
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:06 pm

Would it get hearings too? Or is she trying to suspend the rules and get it to the floor without hearings?
Holland&Holland

Postby Glenn_S on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:56 pm

The way this reads, a few of the DFL hard-cores are cutting and running from this bill...

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/bill.p ... n=0&y=2017

03/01/2018 Authors stricken: Maye Quade; Murphy, E.; Ward; and Omar.

03/05/2018 Authors stricken Hornstein, Bernardy, and Applebaum.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin
Glenn_S

Postby MJY65 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:02 am

Hmmmmm.....

I thought everything is different. The overwhelming majority of people support this. Why not add your name to it and proudly run on it?

We know the answer
MJY65

Postby Spartan on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:38 am

This is almost as scary as 2013. Applebaum is not running for re-election in 44b...
Spartan

Postby gbono23 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:09 pm

Here's my $.02's worth. What I see is a very bad, all encompassing bill being paraded around as what they intend to do. When in fact this bill may be what they ultimately want, they know they can't get this one through. It will get the law abiding people all spun up in offense to the bill, and it will be defeated. Which is what they want, then they will bring out the second bill, not nearly as onerous as the first, and they will tell us that they understand our concerns and are willing to soften the original bill in order to pass what they consider "common sense" type provisions. We need to be ever vigilant in the fact that this is truly a bait-and-switch type arrangement. The switch being something that still takes away rights, but does it on a smaller scale, and they want us to feel good about it because we didn't allow the overarching bill.
gbono23

PreviousNext

Return to Politics