New Minnesota gun control bill announced from senator Latz

Firearms related political discussion forum

New Minnesota gun control bill announced from senator Latz

Postby Randygmn on Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:33 am

Just received an email from MN Gun Owners Caucus saying that Sen Ron Latz just announced a new gun control bill. Among other things, it raises the age of possessing/buying a “miliatary style assault weapon”, as well as redefining the term. These people are deranged.

For those that don’t get their email, here’s a copy, followed by a direct link to the proposed legislation:
You'd think they'd learn over time about the futility of gun control.

You would have thought after the failed 1994 - 2004 Assault Weapons Ban that they'd stop pushing this fallacy.

But no, they just keep coming with the failed ideas of the past.

Yesterday, Senator Ron Latz and Representative Jamie Becker-Finn introduced yet another gun control bill in the Minnesota Legislature at a press conference with local anti-gun group Protect Minnesota that was filled with more than the usual amount of #fakenews at an anti-gun event.

The Bill, SF 2959 in the Senate and HF 3516 in the House was explained as "raising the age for the sale and possession of a 'Semi-Automatic Military Style Assault Weapon' to 21.

Except it does much more than that: it completely redefines the definition of what Minnesota treats as a 'Semi-Automatic Military Style Assault Weapon' to use the same definition that Rep. Slocum has in her DRACONIAN HF 3022 Gun Ban Bill.

In other words, if you use a semi-automatic rifle for hunting - it's almost certainly now an "assault weapon" under Minnesota law.

It's one of the sneakiest sleight-of-hand moves we've seen in gun control legislation in years. Look at what they did:

Tell the public they're prohibiting "weapons of war" (Sen. Latz actually said that!)
Change the definition to include a whole bunch of other firearms
Not to mention all of the other issues with this legislation: 18-year-olds are adults and should enjoy the full protection of the Second Amendment, many hunt with the AR-15 platform and similar rifles, and on and on and on.

We're strongly opposed to this legislation - and you should be too!

Here's what you can do TODAY:

Call Senator Latz at 651-297-8065 and let him know you're opposed to this ridiculous legislation.

Follow-up with a brief, polite e-mail through his contact form.

Call Rep. Becker-Finn at 651-296-7153 and let her know you're opposed to this ridiculous legislation.

Follow-up with a brief, polite e-mail at rep.jamie.becker-finn@house.mn.

Call your Senator and Representative and let them know you expect this legislation to die without a hearing - and that you expect them to come out strongly in opposition to this legislation.

If needed, you can find your Representative and Senator's contact information at this link.
We're working non-stop here at the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus to represent your interests in Saint Paul, reaching out to gun owners that haven't previously been in this fight, and using all of the tools at our disposal to fight back -- email blasts (like this one), phone calls, petitions, and digital advertising.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/bill.p ... n=0&y=2018
Randygmn

Re: New Minnesota gun control bill announced from senator Latz

Postby Randygmn on Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:37 am

And a quick FYI- since Latz is my senator, I wrote to him in opposition to Slocum’s bill last week and he replied. I’ve copied it here, just to show how disingenuous he is, as he was obviously in the midst of writing his own bill at the time.

Dear Randy,

Thank you for reaching out to me on the important issue of gun violence. Regarding Rep. Slocum's gun bill, I do not support the bill as a whole. I have put forth a number of gun violence prevention bills and believe that they focus on the necessary direction our state must move.

Thank you again for contacting me and feel free to contact me in the future regarding this or any other legislative issue you may have.

Regards,

Ron

Ron Latz
State Senator
Golden Valley, Hopkins, Medicine Lake, Plymouth, St. Louis Park
2109 Minnesota Senate Building
95 University Avenue W
St. Paul, MN 55155
Phone: 651-297-8065
Facebook Page
Twitter
Randygmn

Postby Ghost on Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:59 am

They are probably frothing at the mouth to imitate Florida.

Start at 29 minutes
Ghost

Postby BigBlue on Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:02 am

What a disaster. So sickening to have to be wasting our time fighting ridiculous garbage like this. I contacted my reps and both of these morons to oppose it.
BigBlue

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:42 am

The "Do Something" crowd is seeing a chance to grab a headline and cater to their base. Other than Jason Lewis, I'm trapped in a sea of Liberals in my district. I'll send the requisite letters, but I really don't know that it will do much good. There are lots of Anti 2A groups doing a better job of flooding the airwaves with their wants. They are better organized and seemingly have the time and money to do a more effective job of lobbying.

I'd like to think that we will weather the storm without losing more rights, but its not looking promising. Keep up the fight.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby INOR on Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:54 am

My district has a reasonably strong state rep in Pat Garofalo and a really young smug liberal hipster state senator in Matt Little whose primary focus in his previous political role as Mayor of Lakeville was his interest in bringing a chipotle there. I'll write them both.
INOR

Postby xd ED on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:04 am

If the online news is correct, the bill proposes to redefine almost all semi-automatic firearms ever made :

"The bill also expands the list of assault weapons to include many semiautomatic pistols or rifles with magazines that are either detachable or to hold more than seven rounds; as well as many semi-automatic shotguns"

https://www.twincities.com/2018/03/08/fifth-gun-control-bill-filed-at-mn-legislature-seeks-to-raise-age-of-assault-weapon-possession-to-21/#comment-3794007171
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:39 pm

Just wow what these idiots are trying to do....

(b) Semiautomatic military-style assault weapon also includes any:

(1) semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has
one or more of the following:

(i) a pistol grip or thumbhole stock;

(ii) any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the
nontrigger hand;

(iii) a folding or telescoping stock; or

(iv) a shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel,
allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned, but
excluding a slide that encloses the barrel;

(2) semiautomatic pistol, or any semiautomatic, centerfire, or rimfire rifle with a fixed
magazine, that has the capacity to accept more than seven rounds of ammunition;

(3) semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has
one or more of the following:

(i) any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the
nontrigger hand;

(ii) a folding, telescoping, or thumbhole stock;

(iii) a shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel,
allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned, but
excluding a slide that encloses the barrel; or

(iv) the capacity to accept a detachable magazine at any location outside of the pistol
grip;

(4) semiautomatic shotgun that has one or more of the following:

(i) a pistol grip or thumbhole stock;

(ii) any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the
nontrigger hand;

(iii) a folding or telescoping stock;

(iv) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of seven rounds; or

(v) an ability to accept a detachable magazine;

(5) shotgun with a revolving cylinder; or

(6) conversion kit, part, or combination of parts, from which an assault weapon can be
assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

The term does not include any firearm described in this paragraph that has been made
permanently inoperable.
Bearcatrp

Postby MJY65 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:55 pm

It looks like your 11-87 turkey gun with a thumbhole stock would become an Assault Weapon. I know this bill pertains to age limitations, but would that definition then extend to all purchases? Would you need a PTP/PTC to buy said 11-87?
MJY65

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:38 pm

So if we can some how put an AR lower in a bolt action style stock, we could get around this BS? The barrel would need to lay like a bolt action so not having something around the barrel.
Bearcatrp

Postby Citiot on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:01 pm

https://www.walmart.com/ip/As-Seen-on-T ... n/10216942

(iii) a shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel,
excluding a slide that encloses the barrel; or
Citiot

Postby MJY65 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:11 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:So if we can some how put an AR lower in a bolt action style stock, we could get around this BS? The barrel would need to lay like a bolt action so not having something around the barrel.

The AR15 and clones are listed specifically. Doesn't matter what kind of stock they are in
MJY65

Postby Randygmn on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:32 pm

Anyone want to tackle this?
Seems to me that ANY part would be considered verboten, heh? I don’t think they specifically mean the lower receiver, either or it would say “serialized receiver” or something similar. This could be bolts, barrels, furniture, etc...

(6) conversion kit, part, or combination of parts, from which an assault weapon can be assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.
Randygmn

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:36 pm

Well, my bolt rifles stocks attach to the action, not the barrel.

(iv) the capacity to accept a detachable magazine at any location outside of the pistol
grip;

this would be bolt rifles, yes?
Bearcatrp

Postby Randygmn on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:41 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Well, my bolt rifles stocks attach to the action, not the barrel.

grip;

this would be bolt rifles, yes?

Yes.
Randygmn

Next

Return to Politics