Get off my side, Kory

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Get off my side, Kory

Postby BigBlue on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:02 pm

OK, so I watched it. Came away with a slightly better opinion of Kory's presentation. Obviously they edited it to bring out all the 'points' they wanted to make. I'll go a little easier on Kory but Kare11 could stand to be a lot more unbiased when they attempt to present "the facts". How about you add some context and talk about other aspects to the situation, such as the extensive background check that goes into getting a carry permit (for those 5 year purchase windows) and describing the laws related to straw purchase and private sales to folks who may use the gun in a crime in the subsequent year? Life is not the gun buying free-for-all they make it out to be.

BB
BigBlue

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:04 pm

BigBlue wrote:OK, so I watched it. Came away with a slightly better opinion of Kory's presentation. Obviously they edited it to bring out all the 'points' they wanted to make. I'll go a little easier on Kory but Kare11 could stand to be a lot more unbiased when they attempt to present "the facts". How about you add some context and talk about other aspects to the situation, such as the extensive background check that goes into getting a carry permit (for those 5 year purchase windows) and describing the laws related to straw purchase and private sales to folks who may use the gun in a crime in the subsequent year? Life is not the gun buying free-for-all they make it out to be.

BB

Wait you expect kate 11 to be unbiased toward the liberal agenda?

Have you seen their news staff?
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:15 am

I did not read or watch this so I’ll add my two cents on something I don’t know anything about. ;)

The way media now works

Make wild claims
Everyone screams
Claims are proven false
Everyone moves on to the next outrageous story
Cycle repeats

Am I close?
Ghost

Postby Randygmn on Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:29 am

I’ve bought a half dozen firearms as well as conducted some transfers with the folks at Frontiersman over the last 5 or 6 years. They’re mostly old, grumpy guys, but once they know you, they are alright with their people skills. You can tell they are suspicious of everyone they don’t know when they walk through their doors. I suppose it’s the nature of the business.

My distrust of media has never been greater, so unless I hear the purported comments myself, or there’s unedited video video proof, my default reaction to news related to firearms or politics is to believe, unequivocally, that the story is fake news propaganda brought to us by bonafide Liberal Terrorists™️ acting in bad faith to uphold/advance their Anti-American agenda and they should be viewed as the domestic enemies that they are. I’d rather be disappointed to learn that on the rare occasion, a news story was true, than to continuously and routinely discover that their “news story” was just more of the same, typical obfuscation and manipulation. (Rant over)

Anyway, does anyone know what the hell a “slungshot” or “sand club” is?
And finally, I know carrying a “switchblade” is illegal, but “possessing” in ones home? How about “spring assisted” knives?
Thx!!!
Randygmn

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:33 am

Randygmn wrote:I’ve bought a half dozen firearms as well as conducted some transfers with the folks at Frontiersman over the last 5 or 6 years. They’re mostly old, grumpy guys, but once they know you, they are alright with their people skills. You can tell they are suspicious of everyone they don’t know when they walk through their doors. I suppose it’s the nature of the business.

My distrust of media has never been greater, so unless I hear the purported comments myself, or there’s unedited video video proof, my default reaction to news related to firearms or politics is to believe, unequivocally, that the story is fake news propaganda brought to us by bonafide Liberal Terrorists™️ acting in bad faith to uphold/advance their Anti-American agenda and they should be viewed as the domestic enemies that they are. I’d rather be disappointed to learn that on the rare occasion, a news story was true, than to continuously and routinely discover that their “news story” was just more of the same, typical obfuscation and manipulation. (Rant over)

Anyway, does anyone know what the hell a “slungshot” or “sand club” is?
And finally, I know carrying a “switchblade” is illegal, but “possessing” in ones home? How about “spring assisted” knives?
Thx!!!

A sandclub is another name for a blackjack. Think of a sock with sand in it or a roll of quarters. I will let the Navy guys come along and edumacate you on a slungshot.

On the knives my understanding is that in MN assisted is allowed as it still takes effort to open however automatic opening where the simple push of a button makes them a switch blade can only be "collected". I would recommend if one has one that you become a collector. ;) But I am not a lawyer. I just love to play one on the interwebs.
Holland&Holland

Postby rtk on Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:00 pm

A sand club is what I use to get out of a bunker.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:46 pm

rtk wrote:A sand club is what I use to get out of a bunker.

The sand club is usually what I use to hit almost out of the bunker. ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby jdege on Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:31 pm

BigBlue wrote:OK, so I watched it. Came away with a slightly better opinion of Kory's presentation. Obviously they edited it to bring out all the 'points' they wanted to make. I'll go a little easier on Kory but Kare11 could stand to be a lot more unbiased when they attempt to present "the facts". How about you add some context and talk about other aspects to the situation, such as the extensive background check that goes into getting a carry permit (for those 5 year purchase windows) and describing the laws related to straw purchase and private sales to folks who may use the gun in a crime in the subsequent year? Life is not the gun buying free-for-all they make it out to be.

BB

If you have a carry permit, they run a background check annually.
jdege

Postby rtk on Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:55 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
rtk wrote:A sand club is what I use to get out of a bunker.

The sand club is usually what I use to hit almost out of the bunker. ;)

Birds of feather!
rtk

Postby bstrawse on Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:42 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Incidentally the star Tribune article posted here a few weeks ago was in alignment with this as well and also noted the lack of age for a long gun sale. That was reported by mnemonic gun owners caucus as one they were consulted on and felt was accurate so, ya might want to lay off kory a bit.

Just saying

We also worked with KARE-11 on this story as well -- their statements are accurate as Joe cites above.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Kkrause on Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:33 am

For the record, everything I said to the news reporter was accurate, and no mention was ever made by me/us of 14 year olds being legal to "purchase" firearms. Though the story was ok overall, we believe they were a little disingenuous and misleading by adding that in later, whatever their actual intent. After seeing the story air on the 10:00 PM news, I did email Lou Raguse to better advise him of the law on that subject. Maybe someone else gave them bad or tilted (half story) info? No FFL dealer anywhere can or will "sell" a firearm to a minor. Possession is another story, firearms safety certificate, use during hunting, etc., another part of the state law. But federal law remains the same everywhere. We are usually willing to talk to the media in the interest of better educating the public, as it is obvious that there are so many ill-informed idiots out there. Someone has to stand up and challenge the BS out there like "anyone can just order a gun off the internet", etc. While technically true, the REST of the story needs to be told. We only talk to Kare 11 and Fox 9. They are all liberal and agenda-driven, but we found that Kare and Fox are the closest to fair and objective as can possibly be found in this market.

And yes, it is legal to own a switchblade in Minnesota. It must be for "collecting" purposes, and cannot be carried, as is legal in many other states. We actually sell quite a few of them!

Grumpy old men at Frontiersman?? Hahaha. Yes, that was the history. But we are down to only one now as they reture. Only one guy over age 50 now! Times are a changing...
Kkrause

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:29 am

Kkrause wrote:For the record, everything I said to the news reporter was accurate, and no mention was ever made by me/us of 14 year olds being legal to "purchase" firearms. Though the story was ok overall, we believe they were a little disingenuous and misleading by adding that in later, whatever their actual intent. After seeing the story air on the 10:00 PM news, I did email Lou Raguse to better advise him of the law on that subject. Maybe someone else gave them bad or tilted (half story) info? No FFL dealer anywhere can or will "sell" a firearm to a minor. Possession is another story, firearms safety certificate, use during hunting, etc., another part of the state law. But federal law remains the same everywhere. We are usually willing to talk to the media in the interest of better educating the public, as it is obvious that there are so many ill-informed idiots out there. Someone has to stand up and challenge the BS out there like "anyone can just order a gun off the internet", etc. While technically true, the REST of the story needs to be told. We only talk to Kare 11 and Fox 9. They are all liberal and agenda-driven, but we found that Kare and Fox are the closest to fair and objective as can possibly be found in this market.

And yes, it is legal to own a switchblade in Minnesota. It must be for "collecting" purposes, and cannot be carried, as is legal in many other states. We actually sell quite a few of them!

Grumpy old men at Frontiersman?? Hahaha. Yes, that was the history. But we are down to only one now as they reture. Only one guy over age 50 now! Times are a changing...

Welcome to the forum Kory. I have always enjoyed your shop.
Holland&Holland

Postby rtk on Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:00 pm

Welcome ! I have done business in the past.
Last edited by rtk on Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rtk

Postby BigBlue on Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:46 pm

Kory,

I apologize for beating up on you. The original text of the story looked pretty bad and i hadn't been able to watch the video immediately. Usually the text is a direct transcript. Should have realized it was more about the liberal media filing us fill of $hit.

BB
BigBlue

Postby Kkrause on Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:43 am

Hi Guys, thanks for the welcome and kind words. When I saw the story run live on the news, I immediately thought oh no, they better not pin that 14 year olds quote on us as a dealer! We discussed it here in the shop the following morning, and I emailed Lou Raguse about it right away. There was also something else I had to repeat and make abundantly clear to them, as it seemed they had it wrong. Permit to purchase DOES NOT exempt persons from the NICS check. Permit to CARRY does however (if the permit was issued on or after 8/1/14).

Minnesota allows transfer and possession of long guns to those under 18 ONLY through private party transactions. As an FFL dealer however, we have to follow federal law, which is 18 years old or older, no exceptions. Just another instance where state and federal laws compete to muddy the waters... Like our stupid and antiquated Saturday Night Special law here in MN- As an FFL dealer we cannot sell or transfer guns like; Heritage Rough Rider, Phoenix Arms pistols, Jennings, Bryco, Raven, Jiminez, Chiappa, first generation Hi-Point pistols, even the Colt 1911 .22 is considered a SNS! But they are perfectly legal to own and transfer private-party in MN. Any FFL dealer transferring these guns to MN residents is actually breaking state law, though I'm aware that many still do it. We can and do buy them from customers though, and when they have piled up, I just list them all on Gunbroker and sell them out of state. Or how about Colorado residents that legally smoke pot there? Under federal law, they cannot buy a gun (See line 11e on Federal Form 4473). (end legal rant)
Kkrause

PreviousNext

Return to Politics