Any real school safety bills?

Firearms related political discussion forum

Any real school safety bills?

Postby northernbird on Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:17 pm

This current cycle of the anti's constant push seems to have me bothered more than they have in the past. I'm so sick of hearing them cry 'for the children'.. and I'm even more sickened when they recruit the kids to cry it themselves. Not because I dont believe our kids should be safe in school, but because its such horse dung that the only way they can be safe is if I am disarmed.

Is there an organization that is actually trying to implement real solutions to school safety? I would like to get involved. I would like my kids schools to have more than a plan of what they will do after something happens.

It just seems like an actual plan to protect students would be a good counter to the stupid calls for more gun laws to protect the kids.

what are your thoughts on solutions that would/could work?
northernbird

Re: Any real school safety bills?

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:53 pm

Unfortunately school safety starts with disarmament according to the anti’s. These idiots have no idea the number of guns in the black market that if America gets disarmed, we will all become targets from the thugs with guns and no way to defend ourselves. Thank Eric holder for adding guns to the black market. Let’s try this, disarm California. Let them be the test rats. Once the thugs and illegals start killing and raping, they will be begging to have guns again.
Bearcatrp

Postby rtk on Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:53 pm

My daughter works as an administrator in a school with high risk students in the metro. Ther are metal detectors at the door and a couple of police officers on staff full time. When I heard that district in Fla. was going to clear back packs and "maybe" metal detectors, I was floored...What in the heck don't theses people get? I go to a Wild game and they wand me! I am just dumbfounded...
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby Ghost on Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:53 pm

rtk wrote:My daughter works as an administrator in a school with high risk students in the metro. Ther are metal detectors at the door and a couple of police officers on staff full time. When I heard that district in Fla. was going to clear back packs and "maybe" metal detectors, I was floored...What in the heck don't theses people get? I go to a Wild game and they wand me! I am just dumbfounded...

Better to be dumbfounded than just dumb
Ghost

Postby xd ED on Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:44 pm

This should work:

Pennsylvania district plans to stop shooters by arming students with rocks - TwinCities.com

One school’s superintendent has a novel way to keep his students safe from school shooters: arming them with rocks.

David Helsel, superintendent of a school district in northeast Pennsylvania, explained his plan to a legislative education committee last week, drawing a flurry of local media coverage.

“Every classroom has been equipped with a five-gallon bucket of river stone,” Helsel explained about his Blue Mountain School District in Schuylkill County outside Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, in a video broadcast by ABC affiliate 16 WNEP. “If an armed intruder attempts to gain entrance into any of our classrooms, they will face a classroom full of students armed with rocks, and they will be stoned.”
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:58 pm

xd ED wrote:This should work:

Pennsylvania district plans to stop shooters by arming students with rocks - TwinCities.com

One school’s superintendent has a novel way to keep his students safe from school shooters: arming them with rocks.

David Helsel, superintendent of a school district in northeast Pennsylvania, explained his plan to a legislative education committee last week, drawing a flurry of local media coverage.

“Every classroom has been equipped with a five-gallon bucket of river stone,” Helsel explained about his Blue Mountain School District in Schuylkill County outside Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, in a video broadcast by ABC affiliate 16 WNEP. “If an armed intruder attempts to gain entrance into any of our classrooms, they will face a classroom full of students armed with rocks, and they will be stoned.”

Yah, that'll work.

I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Ghost on Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:12 pm

We a definitely making progress. Only a couple weeks ago we were discussing weather a handgun was effective against a rifle. Now we are determining that rock beats rifle!!!!
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:24 pm

This has to be a joke. Seriously?
Holland&Holland

Postby northernbird on Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:08 pm

rtk wrote:My daughter works as an administrator in a school with high risk students in the metro. Ther are metal detectors at the door and a couple of police officers on staff full time. When I heard that district in Fla. was going to clear back packs and "maybe" metal detectors, I was floored...What in the heck don't theses people get? I go to a Wild game and they wand me! I am just dumbfounded...

That's what bothers me. We put 30,000 people through wands and metal detectors at each pro sports game or concert, and our kids sit in a cracker box with someone proposing we give the kids a bucket of rocks. Wtf?!!

So does anyone have good ideas? I saw a kid in MN that made a door stop in shop class that prevents classroom doors from getting forced open.. they got a lot of orders for that.

What sort of ideas are out there for actual trained people on campuses?
northernbird

Postby xd ED on Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:23 am

northernbird wrote:

That's what bothers me. We put 30,000 people through wands and metal detectors at each pro sports game or concert, and our kids sit in a cracker box with someone proposing we give the kids a bucket of rocks. Wtf?!!

So does anyone have good ideas? I saw a kid in MN that made a door stop in shop class that prevents classroom doors from getting forced open.. they got a lot of orders for that.

What sort of ideas are out there for actual trained people on campuses?

My own, personal plan:

It could be organized by NRA -

All voluntary participation.

Gun Manufactures donate/ subsidize sale of personal defense weapons to school staff(including admin, teachers, janitors, maint.-anyone who might normally be on school grounds.

Ammo manufactures donate/ subsidize sale of ammo to above group

NRA instructors volunteer time for basic/ adv training...get at least free renewals from NRA, possibly even tax credit for their work

Ranges have special training times reserved for training, special perks for participants
Access to LE training facilities/ training
Local LE does tactical assessment for each building/ scenario.
Body armor securely cached about the school.
All school inhabitants are required to do 'firedrill' simulated attacks.

School staff participating get compensated for their time as do current coaches, etc.
Might have to tweak some state laws, allow limited deputization of those involved, etc

The above fits in with John Lott's data that one of the biggest deterrents to those planning/ choosing targets of a mass shooting, is the inability to determine where lies the armed resistance.

Of course, the above would require a sea change in the thinking of most school districts, as even locally the SROs are considered by many to be too oppressive.

Volunteer participation in program; no cost to school system, puts positive spin on NRA, guns, self defense

The above is only a bandaid for the real problem of too many underdisciplined, overmedicated, and unloved kids.
But it's the world we wake up in today.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:33 am

Metal detectors will help with kids sneaking guns into school but won’t stop the nut fully armed and ready to kill. The nut can select a side window to shoot out to gain entry and start slaughtering. He could wait until school starts then attack. Arming teachers have shown problematic. Not sure the answer to this problem either.
Bearcatrp

Postby Ghost on Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:56 am

Bearcatrp wrote:Arming teachers have shown problematic.

How so?

You are right though they will find a way. They can shoot the people at the metal detector to get in and even if they had a system that would lock them out there’s plenty of people someone intent on killing can find.

The only way to stop/deter them is guns on the inside.
Ghost

Postby xd ED on Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:07 am

Bearcatrp wrote:Metal detectors will help with kids sneaking guns into school but won’t stop the nut fully armed and ready to kill. The nut can select a side window to shoot out to gain entry and start slaughtering. He could wait until school starts then attack. Arming teachers have shown problematic. Not sure the answer to this problem either.

.....Arming teachers have shown problematic.......

When, where?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby northernbird on Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:24 am

XD - I like alot of those suggestions. I would think that if many of those suggestions where put in a formalized plan and support from manufacturers and training groups could be set up that there would be a chance for it.

So how do we start to formalize a real plan? Do we contact the NRA and ask for some leadership and help? Can we get help from gorca?
northernbird

Postby Citiot on Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:54 am

Don't go down the rabbit hole.

A teacher with a permit-to-carry is trusted all over the state to carry a gun..... except in a school. Why?

A teacher with a PTC (while not working for the school) is trusted to carry around children in Chuck-E-Cheese, Southdale, Museums, Zoos, Sunday School, at Easter egg hunts, in parks, at Bar Mitsvahs, at Boy and Girl Scout outings, at quinceañeras etc.... why the need for anything special in a school?

Keep the argument to this simple point.

(I do realize that a principal can give permission for staff to carry in a school. I am saying that this should not need any extra permission)
Citiot

Next

Return to Politics