Any real school safety bills?

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Any real school safety bills?

Postby rtk on Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:36 pm

Unfunded mandates, if you have worked for government you would know all about them. No one likes them, union or employer.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:39 pm

Thanks ED, couldn’t remember were that happened. Unless these teachers are reserve police or similar, arming a teacher with little experience and 6 weeks of training is an accident waiting to happen. Hire more cops and rotate them from patrolling their community to patrolling the schools. You know how these smart ass kids can be. Tick off a armed teacher and the teacher blows the kid away.

THIS?: http://wgno.com/2018/02/28/armed-teacher-arrested-after-shooting-at-georgia-high-school/

DALTON, GA. – An armed social studies teacher has been arrested after shots were fired at a high school in a small town in northern Georgia.

Fifty-three-year-old Jesse Randall Davidson, a social studies teacher who also serves as the play by play voice for the Dalton High School football team, fired at least one shot before barricading himself inside a classroom, according to the Dalton Police Department.

The DPD reported that “shot or shots” had been fired at Dalton High School just after 11:15 a.m. on the department’s official Twitter account.

Minutes later, DPD added that the armed suspect was barricaded inside a classroom at the school and urged parents not to come to the school...
...Students were transported to the Northeast Georgia Trade Center for pickup, according to the DPD.

At 11:23 a.m., the department tweeted an update that read “The teacher is in custody.”

No students were harmed, and no children were in danger during the shooting, but one student did sustain an ankle injury running inside the school during the evacuation, according to the DPD.
[/quote]
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:21 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Thanks ED, couldn’t remember were that happened. Unless these teachers are reserve police or similar, arming a teacher with little experience and 6 weeks of training is an accident waiting to happen. Hire more cops and rotate them from patrolling their community to patrolling the schools. You know how these smart ass kids can be. Tick off a armed teacher and the teacher blows the kid away.

THIS?: http://wgno.com/2018/02/28/armed-teacher-arrested-after-shooting-at-georgia-high-school/

DALTON, GA. – An armed social studies teacher has been arrested after shots were fired at a high school in a small town in northern Georgia.

Fifty-three-year-old Jesse Randall Davidson, a social studies teacher who also serves as the play by play voice for the Dalton High School football team, fired at least one shot before barricading himself inside a classroom, according to the Dalton Police Department.

The DPD reported that “shot or shots” had been fired at Dalton High School just after 11:15 a.m. on the department’s official Twitter account.

Minutes later, DPD added that the armed suspect was barricaded inside a classroom at the school and urged parents not to come to the school...
...Students were transported to the Northeast Georgia Trade Center for pickup, according to the DPD.

At 11:23 a.m., the department tweeted an update that read “The teacher is in custody.”

No students were harmed, and no children were in danger during the shooting, but one student did sustain an ankle injury running inside the school during the evacuation, according to the DPD.
[/quote]

So by this admission we should not allow you to be armed around children then? Correct? Or are you police reserve?
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:03 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Thanks ED, couldn’t remember were that happened. Unless these teachers are reserve police or similar, arming a teacher with little experience and 6 weeks of training is an accident waiting to happen. Hire more cops and rotate them from patrolling their community to patrolling the schools. You know how these smart ass kids can be. Tick off a armed teacher and the teacher blows the kid away.

[/quote]

Tick off a armed teacher and the teacher blows the kid away.

Really? you actually believe that??
I'd be willing to bet cops, even SWAT guys don't get 6 weeks of training specific to school situations.
Or are you suggesting teachers who might volunteer aren't up to the task of being trained?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby xd ED on Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:08 pm

rtk wrote:Unfunded mandates, if you have worked for government you would know all about them. No one likes them, union or employer.

Regarding the people driving this type of program, I don't think funding will be any issue; quite the opposite. And if it follows the pattern of many post 911 security expenditures, all kinds of stuff will fall under 'security', so the school admin, and rank in file will readily adapt to having funds thrown at them.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby northernbird on Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:22 pm

bstrawse wrote:
northernbird wrote:
bstrawse wrote:There are a number of actual school safety bills moving through the Minnesota House & Senate - including bills to fund school resource officers, physical security assessments, change drills & active shooter training, require threat assessment teams and processes, fund physical security improvements, and so on.

There is a bill that removes the permission requirement for a teacher or staff member to carry a firearm.

We expect most of these changes to pass and become law this session.

Thats awesome! Can we bring more attention to these in some way? The anti's dont talk about these.. I'd like to be one talking about real solutions.

I dont disagree with your previous post, that the simple point is that schools should not be gun free zones.. people trusted elsewhere should be trusted there as well. My concern is that 'for the childrens safety' no one will be trusted anywhere with more than a single shot smoke pole. Unless we open some eyes to the actual 'common sense' steps that can and should be taken (and maybe actually are) the ignorant are going to hop on the bandwagon of 'we have to do something to prevent these tragedies'.

Brian - would you guys consider sending out an email to the MN Gun owners caucus outlining some of these bills? I think it would be really nice to be able to call my reps and ask them to help push those through, as well as to use them as a good redirect for people I talk with that dont fully support the crazies but are getting pushed that way because they just think something needs to be done.

Thanks.

We have the bills (most of them) up on our legislative tracker on our website - gunowners.mn.

We're deliberately not calling attention to these bills - our involvement would probably take the DFL support away - and we want them to pass. We're staying fairly lowkey.
b

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'm going to send some emails :)
northernbird

Postby northernbird on Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:56 pm

was reading the bills introduced today, and had a quick question to anyone reading this... in MN, in order to purchase an AR-15 or variant, don't you already have to be 21 and have a permit to purchase or a CCW?

whats the point of raising the age to purchase semi-automatic military style assault weapons to 21? just to redefine all semi's into that category?
northernbird

Postby bstrawse on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:37 pm

northernbird wrote:was reading the bills introduced today, and had a quick question to anyone reading this... in MN, in order to purchase an AR-15 or variant, don't you already have to be 21 and have a permit to purchase or a CCW?

whats the point of raising the age to purchase semi-automatic military style assault weapons to 21? just to redefine all semi's into that category?

No, you can purchase a long gun at 18 from a dealer or in a private sale.

The law change makes it illegal for 18-20 to POSSESS - not just purchase -- and it redefines most other semi-autos into that category as well.
B
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:26 pm

bstrawse wrote:
northernbird wrote:was reading the bills introduced today, and had a quick question to anyone reading this... in MN, in order to purchase an AR-15 or variant, don't you already have to be 21 and have a permit to purchase or a CCW?

No, you can purchase a long gun at 18 from a dealer or in a private sale.

The law change makes it illegal for 18-20 to POSSESS - not just purchase -- and it redefines most other semi-autos into that category as well.
B

Can't wait until June when the Douglas County Sherriff will need to arrest about 1000 High School trap coaches for allowing possession of semi-auto shotguns by part of the 12000 law abiding good kids at the State shoot. We can't charge anyone in this state for shutting down a damn freeway, but the fasted growing sport in the state we can? Please, I so am ready to be part of this test case.
Holland&Holland

Postby bstrawse on Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:29 am

northernbird wrote:Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'm going to send some emails :)

Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby warrlac on Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:51 am

This year is the first time I've felt compelled to actively voice my concerns to our state legislators. They need to hear from responsible people who understand that today's toxic society is what needs fixing.

The topic of gun-control wouldn't be germane if "we" had not filled our streets with people who were formerly only in locked-ward mental institutions, by bombarding them with Hollywood's poison.

Thanks to Bryan, et. al. for their work.

bstrawse wrote:
northernbird wrote:Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'm going to send some emails :)

warrlac

Postby BigBlue on Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:54 am

warrlac wrote:This year is the first time I've felt compelled to actively voice my concerns to our state legislators. They need to hear from responsible people who understand that today's toxic society is what needs fixing.

The topic of gun-control wouldn't be germane if "we" had not filled our streets with people who were formerly only in locked-ward mental institutions, by bombarding them with Hollywood's poison.

I point that out in every e-mail to legislators. It is the bad person, not the tool. Finding out why people get to the point that they want to cause violence is the key to avoiding it. And many things in today's society may contribute. I'm no expert and don't have the answers, but putting money into researching THAT would be FAR more effective than focusing on any 'gun research'. It's the bad person, stupid.

BB
BigBlue

Postby bstrawse on Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:12 pm

warrlac wrote:This year is the first time I've felt compelled to actively voice my concerns to our state legislators. They need to hear from responsible people who understand that today's toxic society is what needs fixing.

bstrawse wrote:

No, THANK YOU.

It's folks like you that take action that get legislators to understand the issue - and the political consequences involved if they vote the wrong way.
bstrawse

Postby warrlac on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:24 pm

As an update -- I emailed a dozen or so Legislators on Wednesday and, if you don't count the auto-generated replies, received two responses that appear to have been written by the representatives themselves. One was Representative Roz Peterson (Burnsville-Lakeville) and the other was Senator Dan Hall. Both responses were positive affirmations of their support for law abiding gun owners.

Dan Hall said: Law abiding gun owners should not be punished with ineffective and burdensome legislation like what was proposed at yesterday’s hearing. Your engagement on this topic is appreciated.

Roz said: Thanks for your past support and also for your thoughtful letter. It makes a lot of sense to me. As it turns out the amendment offered by the DFL today was pulled because they did not draft the bill correctly. The session isn’t over yet so I’m sure we will see it again. I appreciate you reaching out to me and share your thoughts. It means a lot to me to hear from you.

It is nice to know that a few elected officials appear to "have our backs" for now...

warrlac

Postby bstrawse on Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:30 am

warrlac wrote:As an update -- I emailed a dozen or so Legislators on Wednesday and, if you don't count the auto-generated replies, received two responses that appear to have been written by the representatives themselves. One was Representative Roz Peterson (Burnsville-Lakeville) and the other was Senator Dan Hall. Both responses were positive affirmations of their support for law abiding gun owners.

Dan Hall said: Law abiding gun owners should not be punished with ineffective and burdensome legislation like what was proposed at yesterday’s hearing. Your engagement on this topic is appreciated.

Roz said: Thanks for your past support and also for your thoughtful letter. It makes a lot of sense to me. As it turns out the amendment offered by the DFL today was pulled because they did not draft the bill correctly. The session isn’t over yet so I’m sure we will see it again. I appreciate you reaching out to me and share your thoughts. It means a lot to me to hear from you.

It is nice to know that a few elected officials appear to "have our backs" for now...

Senator Hall and Rep. Peterson are strong advocates for law-abiding gun owners. Senator Hall in particular swung back hard at anti-gun DFLers this week when Senator Latz was playing his amendment games.
bstrawse

PreviousNext

Return to Politics